Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #2,896 of 2,999
Wonder if it'll help, mine are now pretty much full on failure now, last about 10 mins or so. XM5 is still MIA and so time to find another brand....

I didn't have issues with the XM4, but I still wouldn't want to miss out on the XM5 buds.

Jul 11, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #2,897 of 2,999
I didn't have issues with the XM4, but I still wouldn't want to miss out on the XM5 buds.
I'd buy the XM5s for sure, but i am a little bitter how the XM4s for a lot of folk have ended up in such dramatic failure cases. But I am desperate and been dragging these dead tws for a month or so and it is frustrating!

Jul 11, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #2,898 of 2,999
My XM4 are still pretty much as they were when I got them at launch 2 years ago and while they still function fine I will not be buying anything new

Jul 11, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #2,899 of 2,999
I'd buy the XM5s for sure, but i am a little bitter how the XM4s for a lot of folk have ended up in such dramatic failure cases. But I am desperate and been dragging these dead tws for a month or so and it is frustrating!
It was the software most likely. A previous software fried the battery. Sony has been replacing out of warranty xm4s because of it. You just have to let them know, and so there qhole little reset thing and let them know you battery is still trash aftwr the changes. They send out a brand new xm4 aftwr receiving your faulty one

Jul 11, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #2,900 of 2,999
My XM4 are still pretty much as they were when I got them at launch 2 years ago and while they still function fine I will not be buying anything new
Are you sure? - to me you seem always to be on the cutting edge :dt880smile: (I really like your stamina: The XM4 are - to me as well - a very good sounding in ear. Unfortunately, I lost mine on an airplane. Therefore I am really looking forward to the release to the XM5:innocent:

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #2,901 of 2,999
Are you sure? - to me you seem always to be on the cutting edge :dt880smile: (I really like your stamina: The XM4 are - to me as well - a very good sounding in ear. Unfortunately, I lost mine on an airplane. Therefore I am really looking forward to the release to the XM5:innocent:
I bought the Linkbuds S for sleeping and the Timeless to try a planar iem but I haven’t bought anything serious since the IER-Z1R came out

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #2,902 of 2,999

Mine too. I think I wasn't updating and missed the bad firmware.

Used mine yesterday with ANC on for 2hrs and only went down to 84% on both sides.

I have ordered the bose qc2 to try their ANC out. Only because nothing on the XM5 yet.

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #2,903 of 2,999
Mine too. I think I wasn't updating and missed the bad firmware.

Used mine yesterday with ANC on for 2hrs and only went down to 84% on both sides.

I have ordered the bose qc2 to try their ANC out. Only because nothing on the XM5 yet.
As far as I’m aware I’ve had every available fw installed as they’ve been released

Jul 12, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #2,906 of 2,999
A bad FW reales is the common understanding and oft repeated reason for battery issues… but is that confirmed by Sony, or are we in an echo chamber?
Confirmed last year, firmware prior to 2.0, so if your issues came before that firmware/you got your xm4 before that firmware released, you should easily be able to call Sony support, go through the steps, and get a replacement

Jul 12, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #2,907 of 2,999
Confirmed last year, firmware prior to 2.0, so if your issues came before that firmware/you got your xm4 before that firmware released, you should easily be able to call Sony support, go through the steps, and get a replacement
It is clearly not something that effects all units as I’ve had mine for 2 years and been on every fw that has been available in EU/Denmark and have no problem, so it can’t exclusively be a fw issue, there must also be other factors in play

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #2,908 of 2,999
Sorry, just for clarity, was this confirmed by Sony, or is it confirmed in the sense everyone has concluded it is the theory that best fits observations? I am not challenging, just trying to understand. I understand Sony is replacing out of warranty pairs.

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #2,909 of 2,999
Sorry, just for clarity, was this confirmed by Sony, or is it confirmed in the sense everyone has concluded it is the theory that best fits observations? I am not challenging, just trying to understand. I understand Sony is replacing out of warranty pairs.
I'm in the US and my pair was out of warranty by 4 months. Sony replaced it after reaching out to customer support and escalating my communications about the battery issue immediately on the first call.

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #2,910 of 2,999
Mine have not had any issues either and I also wonder why. There are periods I don't use my XM4's and then stretches where I use them almost every day -- I have been following this thread, and saw some of you reporting problems after that one update, so one of my periods of little-to-no use may have been unconsciously influenced by that fact.

I'm hoping that heavy use after the later updates is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back