Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Jul 18, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #422 of 502
I don't usually use the Z1R as an wireless option. That won't be doing it justice. Only for specific situations, when I am too lazy to lug the WM1Z around the house.

I don't know about the BTR3 or ES100.

Yes, the WF sound is more than good enough for causal listening. Because it has that signature Sony sound, it's relatively easy to EQ, making it sound like the Z1R. A very "unpolished" version of it, of course.

The one big negative, are the connection dropouts. No matter the distance, they happen rather frequent (my guesstimate... once every 15-20 mins???). Definitely more than the competition for sure. I hope Sony can have this resolved through FW.

I found a fix to the dropouts. Turn off adaptive sound control.

Jul 19, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #423 of 502
Hi forum, I can't seem to pair my WF100XM3 with my 2015 MacBook Pro.
Anything to do with the fact I have a bluetooth keyboard and trackpad
already paired with the MBP? I tried to disconnect and "forget" my 2 other
earphones from the Bluetooth menu. Can't seem to pair. But they pair very
quickly to my old iPhone 6 (!). Any help/advise greatly appreciated

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #424 of 502
Anyone finding these (mark 3s) bit treble peaky? Like there's a narrow but high bump somewhere 10khZ + makes them sound steely and high hats prickly... I'm hoping burn in will help.

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #425 of 502
Anyone finding these (mark 3s) bit treble peaky? Like there's a narrow but high bump somewhere 10khZ + makes them sound steely and high hats prickly... I'm hoping burn in will help.
At least the graph is not showing a drastic peak, but small one at 8k. This is Crinacle's graph, and I'll look into doing a measurement myself once I get a hand on one.

WF-1000XM3-NC-on.jpg

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #426 of 502
At least the graph is not showing a drastic peak, but small one at 8k. This is Crinacle's graph, and I'll look into doing a measurement myself once I get a hand on one.

Interesting, maybe it's the huge dip at 1k and peak at 3k which could be the issue... Looking forward to seeing your measurements.

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #427 of 502
Interesting, maybe it's the huge dip at 1k and peak at 3k which could be the issue... Looking forward to seeing your measurements.
That's really not dips or peaks actually. The way it looks is a typical iem response curve. It's pretty standard to have a rise going from 1k toward 3k or so, and then a slight decline toward 7-8k or so, and then a sharp dive if following something called a 'target curve.' Harman would be one target curve. Here's an overlay comparing the Harman curve to Sony's response and it's close. When I look for peaks, it's either ones that are quite drastic or if minor, relative to target curves (deviations from target curves).

Harman.png

Comparison to another 'target curve' called Diffuse Field

defuse.png

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #428 of 502
Sorry to hijack the discussion. I am a newbie here and i don’t have enough privilege to start my own thread. Just want to tell you guys who own WF-1000xm3 to try Comply SmartCore sport pro tips!! Not only it solves my fitting problem, but it also significantly reduces the background! High recommend guys! Noisy street becomes a quiet library instantly! Best combination ever!

Jul 21, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #429 of 502
That's really not dips or peaks actually. The way it looks is a typical iem response curve. It's pretty standard to have a rise going from 1k toward 3k or so, and then a slight decline toward 7-8k or so, and then a sharp dive if following something called a 'target curve.' Harman would be one target curve. Here's an overlay comparing the Harman curve to Sony's response and it's close. When I look for peaks, it's either ones that are quite drastic or if minor, relative to target curves (deviations from target curves).

Comparison to another 'target curve' called Diffuse Field

Thanks for this - good too see that actually they're somewhat close to harman.. I do find them relatively balanced, it just that as I suspected from these graphs the highs at 15khz (and maybe the small peak at 8) coupled with the slightly steely nature of its highs (not sure maybe bit grainy, AAC adds to this also perhaps), it's something that sticks out a bit too much for me.. mind you my favourite HP is HD650 so maybe that's why I'm more sensitive to this. Good things though, the sony app eq allows for 15khz trimming which helps.

Jul 21, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #430 of 502
Thanks for this - good too see that actually they're somewhat close to harman.. I do find them relatively balanced, it just that as I suspected from these graphs the highs at 15khz (and maybe the small peak at 8) coupled with the slightly steely nature of its highs (not sure maybe bit grainy, AAC adds to this also perhaps), it's something that sticks out a bit too much for me.. mind you my favourite HP is HD650 so maybe that's why I'm more sensitive to this. Good things though, the sony app eq allows for 15khz trimming which helps.
In my experience, peaks tends to be less dramatic with iems. I too like the smooth nature of 650's presentation, but with these, I don't see any crazy peaks to be concerning. I will need to still hear it see how it sounds overall of course. Close to 10kHz and beyond are not reliable with measurements. It's not even certain that slight peak at 8kHz will be at that spot for your ear compared to the ear simulator.

Believe me, I've heard and seen graphs of real peaky iems like Beoplay E8. That's a peak! But, it seems some people are not bothered by it.

If you prefer smoother, try out Jabra 65t. It's a bit on the darker side.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #431 of 502
Been listening to these non stop for a week now and I got to say, very impressive. Did a few gym sessions in them and glad to report they stay in your ears despite all the movement, and worked up a sweat too, so they managed to survive that as well. Really digging the black colour way with those little copper accents. Only gripe I have had with them so far was when I first got them and whenever I put them on I'd press the touch panel and change noise cancelling to ambient sound, but muscle memory has come into play now by gripping the sides when putting them in ear. So far, I am extremely happy with the fit, the sound, the look, the battery life and the fact I no longer have to be on a mission to find the perfect wireless earphones as these are it (for me).

Jul 28, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #432 of 502
I've been using them for over a week and generally I'm very happy with them. But the fit for me isn't that great and they have fallen out when I doing a few vertical head movements. The main area that needs improvement is connection. In built up areas I'm getting a lot of drop outs, much worst that my other wireless headsets.

Update: I switched the app setting to 'prioritise connection' and has fixed most of my drop out issues.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #433 of 502
Three weeks of use now and I can elaborate a bit on my earlier comments.

-Battery life is excellent. 6 hours is no problem with DSEE engaged and mid-level on volume with full ANC engaged.

-ANC performance in a transpacific flight is about 85% that of the WH-1000 XM2 (I don't have a model XM3)

-No problem lying on a pillow in a first class flat seat.

-Sound signature is superior to that of the previous WF-1000X. ANC is FAR superior. Probably 70% better.

-They are unobtrusive, I use the putty color ones at work and no one ever seems to notice they're in my ears... the black ones are much more obvious. I use those at home.

-Absolutely useless under a race-fit motorcycle helmet. (As expected)

Unlike the poster above, my connections have been absolutely rock-solid (set to emphasis on audio quality). Latency is somewhat variable- on my iPad Pro with locally stored movies and Youtube, it's almost nonexistent. On some Amazon Prime streaming videos, I have noticed some latency. Both of these source related phenomena are less noticeable on my iPhone XS. Locally stored video has no visible latency, streaming stuff from Youtube has none, and from Amazon Prime it is barely there.

Hit me up if you have any questions.

Aug 1, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #434 of 502
Three weeks of use now and I can elaborate a bit on my earlier comments.

-Battery life is excellent. 6 hours is no problem with DSEE engaged and mid-level on volume with full ANC engaged.

-ANC performance in a transpacific flight is about 85% that of the WH-1000 XM2 (I don't have a model XM3)

-No problem lying on a pillow in a first class flat seat.

-Sound signature is superior to that of the previous WF-1000X. ANC is FAR superior. Probably 70% better.

-They are unobtrusive, I use the putty color ones at work and no one ever seems to notice they're in my ears... the black ones are much more obvious. I use those at home.

-Absolutely useless under a race-fit motorcycle helmet. (As expected)

Unlike the poster above, my connections have been absolutely rock-solid (set to emphasis on audio quality). Latency is somewhat variable- on my iPad Pro with locally stored movies and Youtube, it's almost nonexistent. On some Amazon Prime streaming videos, I have noticed some latency. Both of these source related phenomena are less noticeable on my iPhone XS. Locally stored video has no visible latency, streaming stuff from Youtube has none, and from Amazon Prime it is barely there.

Hit me up if you have any questions.

Hey GatMan, thanks for the insight so far.

What are the steps to switch between the iPad and the iPhone for this? Is it still the same old steps below? Or could you skip steps 1 and 2?

1) Turn headphones off
2) Turn headphones back on in pair mode
3) Go to Bluetooth settings in the iPad/iPhone and tap on the headphones

Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #435 of 502
Hey GatMan, thanks for the insight so far.

What are the steps to switch between the iPad and the iPhone for this? Is it still the same old steps below? Or could you skip steps 1 and 2?

1) Turn headphones off
2) Turn headphones back on in pair mode
3) Go to Bluetooth settings in the iPad/iPhone and tap on the headphones

Much appreciated.
For me, going from iPhone to iPad and back, step 3 is all that's needed. The only unfortunate things is, I have two units and they can't be renamed in iOS, so I have to remember which one in the stack is the one I'm using. Not difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back