Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Jun 28, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #391 of 502
Been reading reviews everywhere, it seems so, Senn's has the advantage of being a late Omer to the form factor. 1000X is pretty old at this point.

I wonder whether Sony would update both WF and WI flagship model, only the MDR1000X seems to take off...

Jun 28, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #392 of 502
My apologies I said the WF1000 had solid connection but was actually thinking of the SP700! I found the WF1000 to be very flaky connection wise. Sorry for the confusion.

But yes the Senns have much better sound quality in my opinion as well as better connectivity.

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #393 of 502
What Hifi still rate the Sony's as the best sounding compared to the Sennheiser and others. Still easily winning the group tests

I'd have to agree this time. The Sonys by either luck or design sound sensational, still and always. I can't imagine or Need anything better as far as wireless in ears go.
Sony

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #394 of 502
As a counterpoint, What Hifi’s original review mentioned the connection issues on the Sonys but dismissed them as being pre-production problems. They promised to revisit once they were properly released. They never did and, sure enough, the connection issues remained. Mine were constantly dropping out, even in non-crowded environments.

I recently bought another pair when I read that the most recent firmware update had fixed the issue. It had not. Exactly the same connection problems persist.

My Sennheiser True Wireless, on the other hand, are the best wireless earphones I’ve ever owned and their connection is rock solid.

Jun 28, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #395 of 502
do you guys still experienced drop out when you turn off ambient and ANC off? i never/rarely have dropouts if i turn them off. on ambient and ANC mode however, it would dropout intermittently to the point of annoyance.

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #396 of 502
I was right.
They skipped Mk2 altogether and give it M3 designation

Looks good, and I always prefer Wf1000`'s design more than Sennheiser's.

They claim its the best in the industry again, with how it completely did with mdr 1k M1 release, we can probably trust their claims on that.

6hours per change with 3x more from the case, also fast charge with 90 min battery with 10 min charge.
Ambient mode looks way sleeker than with MDR1000X as it's small, more "spy-like" action now, hahah!

OK, this or WF-SP900, hopefully price for either would come down by the time I need one, for now my NC750 would do just fine.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #397 of 502
I’ve pre-ordered some. I loved the sound of the 1st gen but the constant drop-outs ruined the product. It looks like Sony have adopted the same approach as Apple in terms of ensuring a solid connection by using a dedicated Bluetooth management chip and sending audio separately to the two channels. If they’ve solved this aspect, they could be very good. I’ve certainly got my fingers crossed.

Jul 5, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #398 of 502
do you guys still experienced drop out when you turn off ambient and ANC off? i never/rarely have dropouts if i turn them off. on ambient and ANC mode however, it would dropout intermittently to the point of annoyance.

+1

Without the ANC they're pretty stable and sound fantastic.

They are a lot better with the recent firmware update too.

Jul 5, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #399 of 502

Another ads.
This kinda look like a fit and stability test hahah.

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #401 of 502

I did checked, it does seem like they don't have LDAC, nor Hire certification in their spec list
https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/truly-wireless/wf-1000xm3/specifications
That's kinda weird, maybe they do use that Bluetooth 5.0 features for the truly wireless connection.
As long as it's stable and sync well with videos, nobody cares really.

But they also has DSEEHX.... Why does it have DSEEHX when it's only 20-20khz~? :sweat_smile:

Jul 12, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #402 of 502
I picked up a pair of the WF 1000 XM3 in Tokyo today. The Bluetooth 5.0 is a game changer. I’ve been using them all day in the Tokyo metro and around Shinjuku and not one single drop in terms of the connection. SQ is easily as good as the predecessor. NC is definitely better than 1000X, perhaps even better than the WH 1000 XM2.

I’ll try to have more notes in the next few days, the only disappointment I have is the black version was already sold out. I had to settle for silver. (On the other hand, everybody and their mother will probably be buying black, ha ha. )

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #403 of 502
I picked up a pair of the XM3 in Tokyo today. The Bluetooth 5.0 is a game changer. I’ve been using them all day in the Tokyo metro and around Shinjuku and not one single drop in terms of the connection. SQ is easily as good as the predecessor. I’ll try to have more notes in the next few days, the only disappointment I have is the black version was already sold out. I had to settle for silver. (On the other hand, everybody and their mother will probably be buying black, ha ha. )
Have you tried the noise cancellation? If so, how good is it?

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #404 of 502
I picked up a pair of the WF 1000 XM3 in Tokyo today. The Bluetooth 5.0 is a game changer. I’ve been using them all day in the Tokyo metro and around Shinjuku and not one single drop in terms of the connection. SQ is easily as good as the predecessor. NC is definitely better than 1000X, perhaps even better than the WH 1000 XM2.

I’ll try to have more notes in the next few days, the only disappointment I have is the black version was already sold out. I had to settle for silver. (On the other hand, everybody and their mother will probably be buying black, ha ha. )

The game changer is not Bluetooth 5.0 - it's actually a custom Bluetooth chip which Sony made with an unnamed manufacturer that allows them to essentially mimick Apple's W2 chip functionality found in the Airpods or the new Qualcomm TrueWireless tech - thus allowing each earbud unit to connect to the source independently instead of the master/slave configuration that is commonly found amongst true wireless earbuds, including the previous gen WF1000X. The real nice thing is that this Sony custom BT chip also does not require it being tied to any particular platform (Airpod's independent connection of course requires an iOS device featuring Apple's W2 BT chip, while Qualcomm TrueWireless tech requrie Qualcomm BT chip as well as a SnapDragon 845 SoC source), and especially not to any Sony products (what a turn around from Sony's days of propriotry tech! there's also news that Sony is going to allow other OEM to use this chip as well), this also solves the sound delay issue because the sound signal no longer has to be relayed from right unit to the left unit. I also believe this is the reason why these don't support aptx as it is not using any Qualcomm components - but since AAC is a superior codec to aptX, you really should be using AAC anyway.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #405 of 502

ANC on the 1000X made practically no audible difference so it had better be a lot better ! On the other hand the WH1000XM2 offered excellent ANC so if the WFxm3 are possibly better that's a game changer for TWEs ! Have you been able to do some more tests ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back