Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Jan 1, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #316 of 502
is SBC so terrible or am I experiencing some other problems? Does anyone have similar issues using SBC on Android?
It is. I couldn't get my Macs to play AAC, so I could hear those artifacts too. And I've also tried SBC on my Android, and yet again, same issues. (Also SBC didn't help me with the connection issues).

Jan 1, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #317 of 502
Jan 9, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #323 of 502
Hello everybody! I have in my mind WF1000x for a quite some time, and today I went to Sony store to try it out. And it was such a huge disappointment. I paired this earbuds unit with my walkman a35 and sound quality was horrible, sounded like earphones that cost less than 10 euros. Sound was lacking bass, no bass at all to be specific, HUGE distortion, with highly noticable background nose, totally inaccurate highs and details. In conclusion - it was horrible try. So I strongly believe, that there was smth wrong with that unit or connection between devices. I use walkman a35 and maybe it is incompatible? although, it is updated to lasted firmware. Because sound quality is praised of this unit, I wanted to ask, if anyone has tried pairing wf1000x with walkman, ipod or other simple device, not a phone, and if yes, did You received good sound quality? I believe, that sound quality was defected by bad connection between my walkman and 1000x, because it really sounded like 10 euros earphones.

Thanks! :)

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #324 of 502
Hello everybody! I have in my mind WF1000x for a quite some time, and today I went to Sony store to try it out. And it was such a huge disappointment. I paired this earbuds unit with my walkman a35 and sound quality was horrible, sounded like earphones that cost less than 10 euros. Sound was lacking bass, no bass at all to be specific, HUGE distortion, with highly noticable background nose, totally inaccurate highs and details. In conclusion - it was horrible try. So I strongly believe, that there was smth wrong with that unit or connection between devices. I use walkman a35 and maybe it is incompatible? although, it is updated to lasted firmware. Because sound quality is praised of this unit, I wanted to ask, if anyone has tried pairing wf1000x with walkman, ipod or other simple device, not a phone, and if yes, did You received good sound quality? I believe, that sound quality was defected by bad connection between my walkman and 1000x, because it really sounded like 10 euros earphones.

i use mine with sony a45

the sound is impeccable, to say it sounds like a 10euros earphone is an insult. hahaha

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #325 of 502

The A35 is only capable of using SBC compression with the WF1000X, which would hugely degrade the sound quality due to its low bit rate. Also because the driver of the WF1000X is very tiny at 6mm so if you don't get a good seal with the right ear piece you won't get good bass.

It's a bit strange but the WF1000X is best used with smartphones (best with iPhones and Android phones with Oreo so it has AAC support) because then you can use AAC compression and the app which would allow you to equalise these ear phones (such as dial in more bass), and not Sony's own Walkman. I personally believe these were designed as alternatives to AirPods, so you have to understand where they are coming from and thus the goal.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #326 of 502
Thank You so much Pewuf and Nanaholic for replies! It might be a problem of incompatibility as second reply suggests. And I believe, that was sounding like an insult, but I was really shocked by how bad, tragically bad, sound quality was. BTW, I am using MDR-1ADAC usually. 1ADAC might be better than 1000x, I believe, but I am not comparing them. I just need decent wireless earbuds hahah I found out about LDAC, which is another compression method, but 1000x seems not to support it. So for a35 only option is SBC, which is not as advanced as other methods. It is a pity, that, I believe, I won't be able to achieve a real potential of 1000x with a35. But phone is still a nice option to use.

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #327 of 502
Had these for about a week. Very happy with them. Only the occasional rare disconnection. Sound is very very good, better than b&o H5.
I use them with the nc turned off as it doesn't work that well anyway, and the sound seems to be better without it.

Jan 18, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #328 of 502
Even with SBC you should only hear compression artifacts, the sound signature is the same. I'd say they were defective or you couldn't get a seal. Or... I once heard them like you described, and the reason was connection issues. Like, not caused by SBC but by interferences. Turn them off and on again, that fixed it for me.

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #329 of 502
So after giving up and returning the Sony WF1000X (connectivity issues when outside and not all that impressed with the SQ) and the NuForce Optoma Be Free8 (connectivity issues when outside), I gave the Nuheara IQBuds a try, with a $30 discount coupon. In the house, they sounded pretty impressive, but on 3 separate dog walking excursions, not a single sound drop (I don't use much of their many tricks on hearing outside, just set them to "plane" and leave it at that). They do offer a bit of a challenge in terms of tapping them for functionality, you have to be careful when you handle them on the go. But I love that you can change the volume with them and pause, change tracks, etc. No need to touch the iPhone.

Are they on par with my best pair of IEMs? No (they are JH customs, an old pair of JH5s). But they are plenty good enough for these aging ears when it comes to wireless IEMs. I tip the bass a little with my player EQ (the wonderful KaiserTone app), and they sound great. You do have to ensure they are seated properly in the case for charging, but it's not that difficult (some people complained about that on Amazon reviews). Again, no issues with connection. You do have to keep your BT source (in my case, an IPhone8 Plus) in your left pocket, which is not a problem for me (when using with a winter coat), because the left bud controls the BT connection. They do cut out if you switch them to the right side. But not a problem for me.

As far as comfort and fit, they are awesome, The oval tips (reminiscent of the Klipsch tips) are perfect, comfy and fit snug.

I am not going to say rush out and buy these but compared to the Sonys, they just work for me. The Sonys fell short. So I consider these an excellent alternative. You get a 30-day return window if you decide they don't meet specs.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #330 of 502
Has anyoone got a link to the firmware upgrade file? I can't seem to find it anywhere on Sony support.

Edit: Silly me, update is via Sony's app.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back