Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Dec 19, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #301 of 502
Well the concerns about connectivity combined with the fact my LG V20 supports Aptx HD swung me to spending the extra $120CAD on the Wi1000x it was on sale for $50 off retail and I will get any discount if any major Canadian store has it on sale for less after Christmas. It should be on around the 27th.

Gonna be selling a bunch of gear starting in January. Just to many headphones and IEM's sitting around...

Hope I really like this one ...

Dec 21, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #302 of 502
The WI1000X arrived and so far I very happy with it. It immediately paired using Aptx HD when I switch it to prioritize connectivity I can hear the difference in sound quality so I appreciate the added detail the HD setting provides.

I am getting small glitches in sound in my house which I had with every Bluetooth device I have owned but it is no worse than the best BT I have had so livable whereas the WF1000X would probably have struggled mightily.

I bought these in the hope they would lessen my loss of my XBA-Z5 which died a few months ago. I will have to give them more time before I can formulate my final opinion. But out of the box they definitely offer a similar pedigree if not quite the same level of technical merit.

I like the fact I can use these cabled or wireless and appreciate the fact that they sound the same signature wise in ANC or non-ANC mode.

I also own the QC30 so will be doing a comparison probably in January. Being a lover of the Sony sound I can say I prefer to WI1000X more sonic ally speaking but will reserve judgement on the rest of the aspects such as ANC until I have time to properly compare them. I will say one thing though, I really prefer to Sony horse shoe design over the Bose. It is U shaped and designed to slope with the shoulder as compared to the rounder Bose design. This make it less likely to shift and twist when I am walking around. I also appreciate the neck padding. The end result is I forget I am wearing the Sony's something that never happened wearing the Bose.

I will post more info later.

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #303 of 502
The WI1000X arrived and so far I very happy with it. It immediately paired using Aptx HD when I switch it to prioritize connectivity I can hear the difference in sound quality so I appreciate the added detail the HD setting provides.

I am getting small glitches in sound in my house which I had with every Bluetooth device I have owned but it is no worse than the best BT I have had so livable whereas the WF1000X would probably have struggled mightily.

I bought these in the hope they would lessen my loss of my XBA-Z5 which died a few months ago. I will have to give them more time before I can formulate my final opinion. But out of the box they definitely offer a similar pedigree if not quite the same level of technical merit.

I like the fact I can use these cabled or wireless and appreciate the fact that they sound the same signature wise in ANC or non-ANC mode.

I also own the QC30 so will be doing a comparison probably in January. Being a lover of the Sony sound I can say I prefer to WI1000X more sonic ally speaking but will reserve judgement on the rest of the aspects such as ANC until I have time to properly compare them. I will say one thing though, I really prefer to Sony horse shoe design over the Bose. It is U shaped and designed to slope with the shoulder as compared to the rounder Bose design. This make it less likely to shift and twist when I am walking around. I also appreciate the neck padding. The end result is I forget I am wearing the Sony's something that never happened wearing the Bose.

I will post more info later.

How’s the ANC compared to QC35, PXC-550, 1000X?

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #305 of 502
The PXC550 is slightly behind the other two headphones mentioned but only by a bit. The WI1000X is close to it in ANC. Unfortunately I no longer have the 550 so can do an actual AB test to say how close they are.

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #306 of 502
Curious, for those having connection issues. Do you have a secondary device connected to your phone such as a Fitbit or some form of smartwatch?
Nope, I didn't. However the computer I was using it with might have been connected to the mouse via BT... not sure though.

As for the PXC 550, I like these Sonys a lot more. The sound signature on the PXC 550 changes depending on the noise cancelling setting, the isolation is IMHO not as good (though I prefer that... not a fan of too much isolation), the sound is not as good. The QC35 II I don't like that much either... they are ok, but not worth the price tag. Bass boost around 100-150 Hz IMHO.

To me the WI-1000X are no alternative, because the neck piece would annoy me, and they are harder to store, etc. What I loved about the WF-1000X is having them in my pocket, and being able to use them at any time. If I have 3 minutes to spare, I take them out, plug them into my ear and enjoy the music or podcast. It can't get more comfortable and practical than that!

Unfortunately Sony wanted them back, so I'm back to my wired earphones. Not enjoying them... though the sound is fine.

Should anyone be interested in a WF-1000X review in German, I shall post the link here.

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #308 of 502
Nope, I didn't. However the computer I was using it with might have been connected to the mouse via BT... not sure though.

As for the PXC 550, I like these Sonys a lot more. The sound signature on the PXC 550 changes depending on the noise cancelling setting, the isolation is IMHO not as good (though I prefer that... not a fan of too much isolation), the sound is not as good. The QC35 II I don't like that much either... they are ok, but not worth the price tag. Bass boost around 100-150 Hz IMHO.

To me the WI-1000X are no alternative, because the neck piece would annoy me, and they are harder to store, etc. What I loved about the WF-1000X is having them in my pocket, and being able to use them at any time. If I have 3 minutes to spare, I take them out, plug them into my ear and enjoy the music or podcast. It can't get more comfortable and practical than that!

Unfortunately Sony wanted them back, so I'm back to my wired earphones. Not enjoying them... though the sound is fine.

Should anyone be interested in a WF-1000X review in German, I shall post the link here.
I want true wireless but only if it works without issues and the WI1000X exhibited cut outs on the right ear even as I tried it out in the store.

I was worried about the neck thing bothering me on the WI1000X but I literally forget its there. But you do have the wires running to your neck which pulls a bit and stiffens in the cold.

I didn't find the PXC550 to change to much with ANC off but you are right that it did change a bit. The WI1000X does not which great. I am using mine with ANC off almost as much as on.

I have an LG V20 so am listening using Aptx HD and these are as close to a wired sound I have heard in BT yet.

Dec 24, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #309 of 502
I keep reading about issues with BT connection in public places. Is it that bad?
Yes. However it depends on what public place we are talking about. It's worst when in electronics shops with lots of TVs (especially if they are smart etc.). That sort of surrounding. Regular public places... usually fine, but there are occasional drop offs. If you want zero, then these aren't for you.

I'm not too bothered as long as it isn't happening all the time, so they are fine with me. However on two occasions I had them play extremely loud noise. Like, painful, ear piercing noise. I had to pull them out of my ears as fast as possible. Both occasions happened before the 1.0.7 update, fingers crossed they are fixed. And a few more times the sound would get distorted on the right ear. In all these cases turning them off and back on again fixed things.

I hate how wired IEMs pull on your ear, so having wires there at all isn't to my liking.

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #310 of 502
I have had that ear splitting sound from various BT IEM/headphones so suspect this is some form of extreme interference and it is usually very rare.

I get wanting true wireless it really offers the best freedom. In another generation or 2 I am hopeful the issues will have been hammered out and then I will give them a try. In the meantime the WI1000X will do the trick for me.

Dec 26, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #311 of 502
I love being wireless, i couldn't use the sony simply because i could not deal with drop outs even though they did sound great. you guys have to try the Samsung iconx 2018, nice sound, nice features, no drop outs. none...

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #312 of 502
I've noticed with my Samsung Note 8 (using SBC bluetooth), there are digital artefacts in the high frequencies with the wf-1000x, it's quite horrible. Using AAC via my macbook (and same music) there are no such issues, and the quality is very good... is SBC so terrible or am I experiencing some other problems? Does anyone have similar issues using SBC on Android?

Update: I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I found out that Samsung phones have issue when connected to another bluetooth device like a smartwatch whilst streaming music to headphones; there is an extreme bitrate drop and the quality suffers massively. Disconnecting from my smartwatch fixed this issue and now the sound quality is fine with SBC.. AAC is still better however with my macbook.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #313 of 502
Hi
Have the WF1000x I can use it with my S8 Plus and the Volume goes Loud , but when I use it with a Pioneer DAP 100R I have to go to full volume even then it's no where as loud as the S8
I'm wondering if the Pioneer has the Noise Cap, i bought it second hand. Is their a way to check if the Noise Cap has been disabled ?
Thanks
Ian

Dec 30, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #314 of 502
I've been using these babies now for few days with both my Note 8 and Macbook (with AAC configured), and they sound much better than they should! They beat many other wired IEMs in similar price range that I have with their neutralish/warm signature - good bass, imaging, dynamics and overall frequency response. They won't kill the Campfire Andromedas in terms of ultimate sound quality, but they are happy to play ball, they make me think of HD650 in IEM form with more sub bass but obviously less resolution.. I'm flabbergasted what Sony have achieved with a wireless IEM. Sony obviously is using some DSP magic to compensate for the acoustics, but I have no problems at all with this approach if the net result is this. This is an Audiophile wireless IEM, with sound quality playing a major part in it's design, not just convenience.
I'm not experiencing any major issues in terms of connectivity/battery/convenience (running latest firmware), all working well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back