Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Mar 23, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #347 of 502
thanks, I noticed its less than before update but yes it still happens... too bad because the sony sound is great and I keep them in my rotation with my other truewireless.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #348 of 502
Sony are offering these included with their new phones xz2 and xz2 compact. I preordered a compact for ca 600 euro in Norway. Good deal compared to others like Samsung S9 etc.

Mar 30, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #349 of 502
That's a good deal. The WF-1000x have dropped in price too, it seems, so they become much more reasonable/acceptable considering the price.

For the past month I've had the Bose SoundSport Free for review, and I must say I am quite impressed. Usability-wise there's no competition. Volume controls for example. They have absolutely no noise cancelling (it hardly even makes a different if you're wearing them or not, they are THAT open). Sound quality the Sonys are better, but the Bose are quite good too. Connection is stable however, dropouts rarely occur (even with my Mac). However they don't seem to be compatible with Windows 10, they'll only work as a headset for voice calls then (with one ear and poor sound quality). Battery life is great. So depending on your needs, these could be better for you than the Sonys.

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #350 of 502
I recently bought the Sony WF-1000X from my local Currys PC World and I am very happy with them. The sound quality is awesome for true wireless earphones and I haven't had any problems with the right earphone cutting off. However, one concern I have is that I'm paranoid about the health hazards of Bluetooth radiation.

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #351 of 502
I recently bought the Sony WF-1000X from my local Currys PC World and I am very happy with them. The sound quality is awesome for true wireless earphones and I haven't had any problems with the right earphone cutting off. However, one concern I have is that I'm paranoid about the health hazards of Bluetooth radiation.

Bluetooth power output is much lower than both WiFi and the radio in your mobile phone. So if you are paranoid first worry about your smartphone (which has no evidence that the radiation is dangerous BTW).

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #352 of 502

Bluetooth runs on 2.4Ghz.
This frequency has been running for more than a decade and is used by everything from cordless phones to your home wireless routers. This signal is so ubiquitous on the planet that the only way you can avoid it is if you move to the Amazon Rainforest and hide in a cave. What I am saying is you don't have to worry about this, cause if there was a problem with this frequency, you would be dead by now and so will most of us given the exposure over the last decade or so. More chance other things would kill you than wireless frequencies.

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #353 of 502
Just got me a pair, thought I'd give them a shot after being less than impressed with the 2018 IconX sound quality wise.
At first i was very disappointed with the connection, i was using them with the Huawei P20 pro running android 8.1
No matter what I could not get AAC to work and despite the phone being on my desk right infront of me, constant stuttering.
Was about to return them before trying them with my pixel 2 and wow what a difference.
the connection quality is 100000 times more stable and using AAC and these sound so much better than the samsungs.

Only my second day but if they can keep this stability then we have a keeper :)

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #354 of 502
Just got me a pair, thought I'd give them a shot after being less than impressed with the 2018 IconX sound quality wise.
At first i was very disappointed with the connection, i was using them with the Huawei P20 pro running android 8.1
No matter what I could not get AAC to work and despite the phone being on my desk right infront of me, constant stuttering.
Was about to return them before trying them with my pixel 2 and wow what a difference.
the connection quality is 100000 times more stable and using AAC and these sound so much better than the samsungs.

Only my second day but if they can keep this stability then we have a keeper :)

I had a similar experience with my 1000X. At first I tried them with my LG V20 and the sound was barely ok, very muddy and not enough details probably due to the SBC codec being used. But then I tried them with my iPhone 7 using AAC and the difference was amazing! The sound quality went up by a lot with details coming nicely, all backed up by some nice bass.
Of course this aren't the most detailed, or the most bass-heavy, or the clearest equipment I own, but as far as wireless goes these are outstanding.

Apr 17, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #355 of 502
I had a similar experience with my 1000X. At first I tried them with my LG V20 and the sound was barely ok, very muddy and not enough details probably due to the SBC codec being used. But then I tried them with my iPhone 7 using AAC and the difference was amazing! The sound quality went up by a lot with details coming nicely, all backed up by some nice bass.
Of course this aren't the most detailed, or the most bass-heavy, or the clearest equipment I own, but as far as wireless goes these are outstanding.

The biggest thing that shocked me was how the connection stability changed, it wen't from skipping every few seconds unless i kept myself completely straight to being able to walk in the street, turn my head, even put my hand in my pocket covering my phone and not one single skip.
Either the pixel 2 xl has crazy good bluetooth or it;s the AAC codec requiring less bandwidth

If i set them to connection stability mode it works much better on the p20 but the sound suffers to a level I'm not willing to accept

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #356 of 502
I purchased these at the weekend, have been using the wh 1000x but these are overkill at times and with the Summer now approaching I wanted some IEMs that are capable of reducing train noise on my commute. Firstly I purchased the E4s which was a mistake, they sound good and the ANC is very good but that ANC unit dangling is just a pain especially on a phone with the headphone jack at the top as it makes it difficult to use the phone while listening. Should have heeded the reviews and will now lose a bunch of ££ selling them on.

I really like the WG1000x, the ANC is not as good as the over ear 1000x or the E4s but it does take the edge off of the train rumble, they fit well and are comfortable and the SQ is decent. The dropouts so far whilst there have not been intrusive enough to be a show-stopper. I have noticed that drop-outs were worse on my iPhone 8 plus than LG V30, this may not pan out over long term as circumstances may differ but this morning on the V30 I had 3 drops during my 1.5-2 hour commute whereas yesterday I probably had in excess of 10-15 over a similar period using the iPhone. In theory the phone should not matter as the right bud is connected to the left bud and not to the phone, but who knows?

What us slightly annoying on the V30 though is the headphone and phone volume are independent of each other which I find annoying. Volume is loud enough though although I do need to go slightly louder on the scale vs others and find that a setting of 2/3 is about right maybe ¾ is the train is loud like when in a tunnel. On the over ear Sony’s I am rarely over 50%. Overall though these are really decent and more importantly really convenient to use, of course my view could change if the drop-outs increase. Currently trying them with some comply tx200 tips but actually thing the supplied foam ones are better.

May 23, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #357 of 502
there's a new firmware update with the following improvements:

• Pre-update for supporting Google Assistant
  • Other function improvements
what is exactly other function improvements?, anybody knows where to find the exact changelog history?

May 29, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #358 of 502
Sony killed it with these - on AAC Bluetooth + Turned off NR, they destroy many similarly priced wired "audiophile" iems. The sounds is balanced , spacious, warmish and generally doesn't do anything wrong. Would love to see some frequency graphs, I suspect they'll probably be fairly balanced

May 31, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #360 of 502
So in spite of following this thread, I just couldn't resist.
I was in Japan last week and bought a set.
My god the connection to the right 'phone is crap.
However I do suspect that my OnePlus phone and Samsung tablet are to blame from what people are saying.
I will keep them as well, they sound great and the ANC works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back