Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Oct 31, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #166 of 502
Hi folks,
bought my WF-1000X yesterday in Frankfurt/Germany. Sound was much too quiet and tinny somehow from my point of view. After charging and taking some other plugs the sound changed dramatically. They felt much louder and the sound was completely different, similar to my MDR 1000X.

Honestly I did not notice much difference between OFF/Ambient/ANC as for the amazing MDR 1000X but I was at home in a very quiet environment. Í will try them in the office tomorrow, they are soooo cute..

I notice it when the NC is off, but didn't get any ambient sounds even in Ambient mode. Maybe the IEM seal is just too good for me?

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #167 of 502
I notice it when the NC is off, but didn't get any ambient sounds even in Ambient mode. Maybe the IEM seal is just too good for me?
As I understand it, in ambient mode environmental sound is relayed from the microphones - if you brush your fingers over the earpiece microphones you should hear the effect clearly.

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #168 of 502
I just finished a very unsatisfactory email exchange with Sony support over the intermittent right earpiece drop-outs. After I phoned them and explained the problem and everything I'd done to try and fix it (sound settings, factory reset, etc), they said they'd refer everything I'd told them to the technical team and email me their response. 5 days later, I got an email containing just a link to the stock online troubleshooting page that I'd already told them hadn't fixed the problem... I found that a bit insulting :frowning2:

I told them they already knew I'd been through all that, and I wanted to return the headphones for refund. They said that as they weren't the retailer (although I purchased from the Sony Web Store) they couldn't do that, but I could wait for more 'technical advice' or send them in for evaluation - and if they were not considered faulty, I'd be charged for the service! What!

When I emailed the Sony Centre that had actually sent me the headphones, and asked for a refund, they sympathised about Sony support and said if I wanted to try a different pair, they'd send out an overnight courier with new headphones to collect & replace the old pair, at no charge.

Nice to get some positive, helpful support for a change!

I thought I might as well give it a shot - they're due tomorrow - here's hoping...

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #169 of 502
As I understand it, in ambient mode environmental sound is relayed from the microphones - if you brush your fingers over the earpiece microphones you should hear the effect clearly.

Yes that is how ambient works on the E8 and it is very noticable

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #170 of 502
I just finished a very unsatisfactory email exchange with Sony support over the intermittent right earpiece drop-outs. After I phoned them and explained the problem and everything I'd done to try and fix it (sound settings, factory reset, etc), they said they'd refer everything I'd told them to the technical team and email me their response. 5 days later, I got an email containing just a link to the stock online troubleshooting page that I'd already told them hadn't fixed the problem... I found that a bit insulting :frowning2:

I told them they already knew I'd been through all that, and I wanted to return the headphones for refund. They said that as they weren't the retailer (although I purchased from the Sony Web Store) they couldn't do that, but I could wait for more 'technical advice' or send them in for evaluation at my own expense - and if they were not considered faulty, I'd also be charged for the service! What!

When I emailed the Sony Centre that had actually sent me the headphones, and asked for a refund, they sympathised about Sony support and said if I wanted to try a different pair, they'd send out an overnight courier with new headphones to collect & replace the old pair, at no charge.

Nice to get some positive, helpful support for a change!

I thought I might as well give it a shot - they're due tomorrow - here's hoping...
This is the exact same dance as I did. Sony now have a support page hand-waving the right earbud problems away as basically “That’s just how it is. Live with it”.

I returned my second pair to Amazon after they exhibited the same problem. I hope you have better luck but I wouldn’t get your hopes up. :frowning2:

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #171 of 502
This is why I only ever buy electronics kit from Amazon. Any problem *at all* and you send them an email - they have a replacement pair in the post within the hour and you can return the faulty ones at your leisure.

Given the number of reviews across the web referencing the right-bud drop-out problems, it feels like this is a fundamental hardware fault that's not going to be fixed. So sadly the Sony's are off my short, long and every other list.

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #172 of 502
I'm not an Apple products lover but I have to say that by controlling the whole production chain, and devising the W1 solution, they were the only one managing to get this "completely wireless" thing right.
I'm afraid that until Bluetooth 5.0 gets widespread usage, "completely wireless" done well will reimain an Apple/Beats exclusive.

I'll patiently wait for somebody to do "completely wireless" CIEMs well. :fingers_crossed:

Nov 1, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #173 of 502
Nov 1, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #174 of 502
So is everyone having this issue with the right ear bud or is it just some units? I ordered the wf 1000 and the Samsung iconx 2018, if my sony exhibit this they are going back! hopefully the iconx sound good, they seem to have solve the problems with battery life on last years model, I liked them very much.

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #175 of 502
Nov 1, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #176 of 502
Casey Neistat just put out a video on the Bose ones, and they are having exactly the same issue.

I returned mine, they are not ready for prime time... yet....

Nov 1, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #177 of 502
I have drop offs too, I'd say it's fair to say all have this issue? Or maybe it depends on your phone, too? In any case, I personally can absolutely live with the issue. If you can't, then wait for a revised version, because apart from the AirPods, which don't sound good, you just have to live with these issues. I'm sure eventually they'll be fixed.

Nov 1, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #178 of 502
that's a shame, no true wireless head set should have this problem in this day and age, to me it is unacceptable. I was running a set of Jam ultra true wireless and I had zero disconnects, I mean zero! if they can do it I am sure sony, bragi Samsung should be able to do it better imo. we will see how this unfolds, if my sonys and Samsungs exhibit this I will return them and get the jam ultra and deal with the only issue i have with them a little too much bass, I prefer that than drop outs.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #179 of 502
Perhaps I’ve just been lucky.

I’ve been walking all over Tokyo for the last couple of weeks in some of the most RF saturated places on the planet. Have had zero problems with drop off’s or any other misbehavior with the exception of one specific audio track with a flaky VBR encode. Running an iPhone 7+, generally in the left front pocket.

The performance of the situational adaptive settings for NR have been particularly impressive. The system can tell when I get on the train, when I’m walking, or when I arrive at my hotel room, with appropriate and automatic settings for each situation. Really impressive.

Battery life has also been as advertised.

I have no complaints at all. I even got a great fit right out of the box with the silicone medium buds that come preinstalled.

Nov 1, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #180 of 502
I am trying them now, volume is not very loud, I'm wondering if there is setting that I missed, I found the other volume slider in th app. No help....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back