Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Oct 22, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #136 of 502
What are you all preferring?

Hybrid silicone or Triple comfort?

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #137 of 502
Dammit! After a week of flawless performance and connectivity in daily use around the house and out in the park, the earphones have started showing the dreaded right-earpiece drop-out problem. This happens irregularly but frequently, several times a minute, and makes music listening impossible and is too distracting even for talk-show listening.

I've tried all the suggested fixes, including selecting connection quality over sound quality and a factory reset, but the problem persists. Weird and disappointing - I was really enjoying them.

I've contacted Sony for repair or replacement under warranty.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #138 of 502
Dammit! After a week of flawless performance and connectivity in daily use around the house and out in the park, the earphones have started showing the dreaded right-earpiece drop-out problem. This happens irregularly but frequently, several times a minute, and makes music listening impossible and is too distracting even for talk-show listening.

I've tried all the suggested fixes, including selecting connection quality over sound quality and a factory reset, but the problem persists. Weird and disappointing - I was really enjoying them.

I've contacted Sony for repair or replacement under warranty.

Try to delete the pairing and repair. This works with my E8

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #139 of 502
According to Apple, current BT IEMs that are not wired together pose a major challenge with latency. This is because BT is only wirelessly connected to one ear piece. After that, the connected earpiece has to wirelessly relay the other channel to the other earpiece. In order for right and left channels to stay in sync, there is some buffering required. This was the main reason why Apple created their our wireless technology that enables both ear pieces to simultaneously connect wirelessly to the source for low latency performance. The other reason was probably due to Apple not wanting to pay the Apt-X licenses.
I don't think that's the case with the WF-1000X. I tried walking away from my phone with only the right ear plugged in, the left plug remaining with the phone, and the connection was just as good/bad as before. I'll have to try what happens if the left plug is far away from the phone (but still within range), and the right one is nearby.

I believe what happens is that the earphones create two BT connections to the phone, but the left signal has priority. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Hissing sounds should only appear when noise cancelling or ambient sound is on. It's the microphone picking up noise, and playing them back inverted or not.

I can use AAC on my LG V20.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #140 of 502
I don't think that's the case with the WF-1000X. I tried walking away from my phone with only the right ear plugged in, the left plug remaining with the phone, and the connection was just as good/bad as before. I'll have to try what happens if the left plug is far away from the phone (but still within range), and the right one is nearby.

I believe what happens is that the earphones create two BT connections to the phone, but the left signal has priority. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Hissing sounds should only appear when noise cancelling or ambient sound is on. It's the microphone picking up noise, and playing them back inverted or not.

I can use AAC on my LG V20.
Left earphone is the master earphone, right the slave. Only left earphone is communicating with the phone, right earphone is only getting whatever is being fed by the left earphone, it is useless without the left earphone. Try docking the left earphone, the right earphone instantly stop playing music. However, I believe the BeoPlay E8 is also using a similar system according to their E8 product specifications(right master, left slave though), so it is curious why they apparently are able to play videos on YouTube without any audio lag.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #141 of 502
Left earphone is the master earphone, right the slave. Only left earphone is communicating with the phone, right earphone is only getting whatever is being fed by the left earphone, it is useless without the left earphone. Try docking the left earphone, the right earphone instantly stop playing music. However, I believe the BeoPlay E8 is also using a similar system according to their E8 product specifications(right master, left slave though), so it is curious why they apparently are able to play videos on YouTube without any audio lag.

As I understand it the E8 uses a different technology to communicate between the 2 units and I can confirm that I don’t experience any lag from Netflix, Youtube, iTunes movies or a couple of classical music video streaming services

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #142 of 502
As I understand it the E8 uses a different technology to communicate between the 2 units and I can confirm that I don’t experience any lag from Netflix, Youtube, iTunes movies or a couple of classical music video streaming services
Well, they literally state this on on their product specification: "Earbuds: Right (Master) 7g, Left (Slave) 6g". Maybe they have a better implementation or better codex support, who knows. Anyway, good to know there is no audio lag on the E8, waiting for them to be available in my area so that I can try them.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #143 of 502
Well, they literally state this on on their product specification: "Earbuds: Right (Master) 7g, Left (Slave) 6g". Maybe they have a better implementation or better codex support, who knows. Anyway, good to know there is no audio lag on the E8, waiting for them to be available in my area so that I can try them.

The E8 uses NFMI technology for the link between the 2 units so it is strange that I get drop outs and that these can be gotten rid of by deleting the Bluetooth pairing on my iPhone and then pairing again. It then works without drop outs for a few days and I then have to repeat this procedure

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-field_magnetic_induction_communication

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #144 of 502
I am watching this thread closely as I am a sony fan and waa hoping this would be the truewireless to get. Right now I am looking foward to the Samsung iconx 2018 about to be released, the original were pretty good, especially bt connection was solid and sound was pretty good, battery life sucked. The 2018 iconx fix that. I have been playing with a set of ultra jam truewireless, the bt connection is the best i have used by far of any truewireless headset i have used, and its a cheaper 99.00 earset. Sound quality not the best, very bassy.i wonder why a cheapie company like jam can make a solid bt connection, but other companies like bragi, sony can't do this.

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #145 of 502
The E8 uses NFMI technology for the link between the 2 units so it is strange that I get drop outs and that these can be gotten rid of by deleting the Bluetooth pairing on my iPhone and then pairing again. It then works without drop outs for a few days and I then have to repeat this procedure

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-field_magnetic_induction_communication
My bad, I thought you saying both of the E8 earphones can connect wirelessly to the source simultaneously like Apple's implementation instead of "master-slave" like most other true wireless earbuds.

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #146 of 502
AirPods use Master/slave too. The only difference is that the slave has a small connection used for timing sync, but th music only goes from the phone through one bud. Check the patent docs, you can see it in the technical details.

Oct 23, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #147 of 502
Today I've received an update for the Sony headphones connect app. I don't expect any stability improvements, since it's just an update to the app. However, it states that there's now an EQ available for the WF-1000X. Haven't got my WF-1000X's with me so I'm eager to try it when I get home.

Anybody downloaded the app already and tried it?

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #148 of 502
very cool all buds should have an eq...

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #149 of 502
Once the left earphone is disconnected from the phone, the phone will stop playing. That's true. But if it were near field communication or something like that, how could the right side have a signal from maybe 10 meters distance? The behavior, the kind of drop offs is exactly the same with my phone at my desk, and me going to the bathroom at work with both earpieces vs leaving phone and the left earpiece at the desk and only going with the right one. It even drops the right channel in roughly the same place with or without the left channel next to it.

I've tried the app... and it's meh. It can show me that the volume isn't at max, but I can't adjust it. Why? I need to use the Music Center app for that. Also, the EQ is a set of presets only, with visual (sort of) representation of what they do. You can't adjust them though (at least from what I've tried).

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #150 of 502
Once the left earphone is disconnected from the phone, the phone will stop playing. That's true. But if it were near field communication or something like that, how could the right side have a signal from maybe 10 meters distance? The behavior, the kind of drop offs is exactly the same with my phone at my desk, and me going to the bathroom at work with both earpieces vs leaving phone and the left earpiece at the desk and only going with the right one. It even drops the right channel in roughly the same place with or without the left channel next to it.

I've tried the app... and it's meh. It can show me that the volume isn't at max, but I can't adjust it. Why? I need to use the Music Center app for that. Also, the EQ is a set of presets only, with visual (sort of) representation of what they do. You can't adjust them though (at least from what I've tried).
I didn't say anything about it being near field communication or anything like that, in fact Sony didn't mention what technology it is using, but it is a fact that the right earphone is the slave and it is only communicating with the left earphone not the source; you cannot use the right earphone without the left earphone being powered on and near the source. The behaviour is the same in your case because in both cases the distance they are getting the signal is the same(left earphone from phone at desk, right earphone from left earphone beside the phone at desk), try placing the left earphone further away from the desk(without moving the phone) then walk to the bathroom and see if the signal degrades sooner. Or better yet, leave your left earphone at your desk and bring both your phone and your right earphone to the bathroom and see if the right earphone is still playing smoothly. Anyway, as per trustedreview:

"You’ll notice a transparent bit at the tip with an arc inside. That’s an antenna to make sure the two buds play nice with each other – the left ear handles information and relays it to the right."
http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sony-wf-1000x#ZtLjYv5bQMtXPmOX.99

Also, I agree the EQs are kinda pointless, I went through all the presets and find that they sound best with no EQ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back