Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 13, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #1,561 of 8,231
Not if you got them from America - the RC-EX1000 cable didn’t get shipped to the US
I got this used EX1000 from Japan , the stocked cable model is RK-EX1000
20201113_224211.jpg

Nov 13, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #1,562 of 8,231
The update of DMP-WM1 is gonna arrive shortly. Stay tuned! :)

Nov 13, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #1,564 of 8,231
DMP-WM1 FE (Final Edition)

As the aim is to get the best sound possible, the previous DMP-WM1 and DMP-WM1 II custom
firmware versions are no longer available. DMP-WM1 FE replaces them both.

The name "Final Edition" was chosen instead of simply "DMP-WM1", so people would know that
they have installed this firmware, and not the first version.

Update:
- improved sound signature - fuller, deeper, and more impactful bass, natural and lifelike vocals,
and non-fatiguing and smooth highs, with impeccable details

Features:
- sound signature aimed at resembling the one of the DMP-Z1
- native DSD playback over the 3.5 mm output
- DSEE AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported

Installation:
1. Install DMP-WM1_FE
2. Install DMP-WM1_FE_Ext_Tuning

To revert to the stock firmware:
1. Install StockRevert_(DMP-WM1_FE)
2. Install StockRevert_Ext_Tuning

When installing DMP-WM1_FE or when installing StockRevert_(DMP-WM1_FE), the player
should restart and go into update mode. The update bar on the player's screen should fill up
to the end. Otherwise, you won't be able to install the external tunings.

What should I do if I'm using one of the previous DMP-WM1 custom firmware versions?
1. Revert to stock using the StockRevert of the respective firmware (for example, use StockRevert of DMP-WM1 II if you have DMP-WM1 II installed)
2. Install DMP-WM1 FE
3. Install DMP-WM1 FE Ext. Tuning

You can find the StockRevert for the previous DMP-WM1 and DMP-WM1 II custom firmware versions on the link below.

I would recommend giving more listening time to DMP-WM1 FE first, in order to get accustomed to the different sound signature
before eventually deciding that it doesn't sound as good as DMP-WM1 MK2.
"Brain burn-in" is a real thing.

Download DMP-WM1 FE here.

Feel free to leave your feedback, and enjoy! :)

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #1,565 of 8,231
By the way, let me know if you still notice any stuttering issues while scrolling.

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #1,567 of 8,231
Successfully installed with ease.
Scrolling seems to be fine, but I actually can't remember now how smooth it originally was.
I have to go to work now so will listen to it later.
Thanks very much for all your time and efforts

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #1,568 of 8,231
Successfully installed with ease.
Scrolling seems to be fine, but I actually can't remember now how smooth it originally was.
I have to go to work now so will listen to it later.
Thanks very much for all your time and efforts

Some users, including myself, noticed a little stuttering when scrolling on previous iterations of this firmware. For now I don't notice anything anymore.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #1,569 of 8,231
Some users, including myself, noticed a little stuttering when scrolling. For now I don't notice anything anymore.
I think it was me that had first mentioned it it here, so far it seems to be looking good.

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #1,570 of 8,231
(Cheating a little having been on the pilot, however...) I don’t think I can find any music that sounds bad - liquid bass response, lush mids, incredibly balanced treble and a soundstage I didn’t think was possible to get from a portable player with IEMs - PRaT in spades, cannot find fault.

The best benefit for me, if I have to pick one - is the much improved definition in the treble and it’s associated frequencies - call me insane, call me what you like, but I like listening up loud (85 on high gain) - this series of mods has steadily increased my satisfaction in this regard...

7520AB7B-65E5-4846-9697-39B703DD996D.jpeg

Now I only have one issue (other than my musical choice maybe!) - one that no mod can fix - that damned stuck green sub pixel just above left of the “T” on the track name - my OCD gets triggered by that!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #1,571 of 8,231
(Cheating a little having been on the pilot, however...) I don’t think I can find any music that sounds bad - liquid bass response, lush mids, incredibly balanced treble and a soundstage I didn’t think was possible to get from a portable player with IEMs - PRaT in spades, cannot find fault.

The best benefit for me, if I have to pick one - is the much improved definition in the treble and it’s associated frequencies - call me insane, call me what you like, but I like listening up loud (85 on high gain) - this series of mods has steadily increased my satisfaction in this regard...

7520AB7B-65E5-4846-9697-39B703DD996D.jpeg

Now I only have one issue (other than my musical choice maybe!) - one that no mod can fix - that damned stuck green sub pixel just above left of the “T” on the track name - my OCD gets triggered by that!
The screens differ from TVs but have you tried the 'massage' technique to fix the stuck pixel, worth a try?

Nov 13, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #1,573 of 8,231
Nov 13, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #1,574 of 8,231
The screens differ from TVs but have you tried the 'massage' technique to fix the stuck pixel, worth a try?
Afraid I have, it didn’t work - thanks for the thought :)

i must be a little cursed in that regard - my old Z1060 Walkman has a stuck green sub pixel too!

Nov 13, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #1,575 of 8,231

I feel your pain. I have one too but it's a little bit lower than yours. I wonder if Sony put their worst screens on their Walkmans...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back