Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 4, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #5,566 of 8,223
Been trying out Midnight v2 (for WM1A) with Project Z tuning (Plus v2 ; different DAC mode). I'm so used to FEv2 (whether on it's older stand alone CFW or external tuning used on Dawn2), it was a bit jarring, but my brain is getting accustomed to it. I don't hate it, and in fact, can see myself growing to like it more and more over time. Gonna live with this for a while and see if it sticks for me.

I am a Mac user, so use a Windows VM to flash CFW. This new installer threw me little as it apparently also automatically switches off USB Mass storage mode? At least I had to turn it back on manually after each re-boot after CFW, followed by external tuning, installation. I was in a bit of a frenzy when after re-boot following Midnight v2 install, my WM1A did not mount as an external device....but then I noticed the USB Mass storage mode was off....

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #5,567 of 8,223
This may make no sense, I'm just trying to get my head around things as I have lost perspective of where we are (collectively?) at and what we are trying to achieve. I have never heard the DMP-Z1 nor the WM1Z, from opinions and feedback I am sold on the hardware benefits of the 1Z and would possibly upgrade in the future if the price is right, although my 1A is currently sounding superb with my choice of settings.
I think originally one of the main goals of the earlier firmwares was to take 1A owners closer to the 1Z? Then there was a shift to shoot for the direction of the DMP-Z1 sound?
As the DMP-Z1 is highly regarded is there still an appeal of those firmwares or was that too far a goal to set, or is it that the 1Z is a more desired reachable sound to mimic, or that the overall firmwares have just progressed and improved? Is the general Sony sound of the 1A,1Z, TA-ZH1ES, DMP-Z1 overall quite similar that it's all in the same ballpark anyway? Is it possible that although the 1A may not match the 1Z components it may have it's own signature that for some ears may be preferable to the 1Z? Do the firmwares that are intended to mimic another higher quality device take your device to a better place or are there the other ones that may have better results?
I understand it's all personal taste and preference, I was just wondering what other 1A owners are intending to achieve with their choice of combinations - just trying the 'new' one, enjoying a change, going for the 1Z sound or going for an earlier firmware that sounds best to you?
I don't know yet, as I haven't done the test between the two stock 1A vs 1Z. But........

I tend to think this will be the definitive answer........even before testing.

I'm lucky to have a 1A and a 1Z that allowed me to do direct comparisons. Both are Region J, Plus v2 and alternate DAC mode. Using the Solaris 2020, AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC tips and balanced DHC Clone Silver cable.

The sound is now the closest I have ever heard. But I can still hear differences.

The 1Z is more open and detailed versus the new version of Midnight for the 1A which has a touch more bass/warmth. The soundstage size is now very similar. I would say the 1Z is more resolving due to the hardware. But the 1A running this new version of Midnight is one amazing sounding DAP.
And never hearing the DMP-Z1 I can't tell you anything. But the TA has only firmware from Sony that utilizes on line communication between Sony and the TA. That means it's a different ball of wax all together. The firmware can't so far be obtained for the TA. Remember the 1A, 1Z and DMP-Z1 are all made by a separate wing of engineers at Sony, so that may mean the same operating system, where the TA is a separate set.

As far as the 1A vs the 1Z, your going to get many opinions. Some may say to mod your 1A, some may say to get a 1Z, some may say the 1A is all you need. But (as above) so far........I would exactly quote the words by Lookout57. But to continue to pontificate if I could........the 1A will always be its own thing. That thing has a sexy bass all its own. At times the 1Z is more clear and more real, but that could even be the situation. Like stated above the sound stage now is very similar but still it's slightly more front to back with the 1Z, where the 1A it's side to side. The bass is thicker still with the 1Z, but not as fast. We may be at the closest ever between the two players..........still even the treble of the 1Z is different. It is what it has always been which is brighter way up top and more spread out. The 1A is still more midcenteric to me, but that's what is thrilling and that's what is special. I'm still not at a one to one with the 1A and 1Z; meaning I have not got to the test of same regions, same IEMs and same firmware, and even then I could experience expectation bias. So I have a way to try two pairs of exactly the same IEMs in 3.5mm.

The 1A at times has this super fast thing in the midrange as well as a sculpted bass, that when they team up in effect.......it's eye watering. The 1Z never does that. But all and all the 1Z is better. It is like having two complementing devices.....the 1A and 1Z. But in history the 1A has made the grandest jump; it went from being problematic in replay........just too thin and clinical......to being the cats meow! It's exciting now and one of my favorite pieces of audio gear ever. The 1A is special and can take you to a special place emotionally!

Basically you need to discover what works for you. Personally I will always prefer the 1Z, but that's just me. Many have gone ahead and upgraded their 1A with after market mods. The mods change the capacitors, wires.....and resistors to make the 1A different. Still the 1Z has the case. The case is heavy.......it is truly hard to figure out what the case does........as its suppose to blacken the background.........but how do you perceive that one? I mean you do perceive it, but how do you quantify it? A lot of what we do is based on theory...... then perception comes with knowing that theory is in place. There is a fine line at times between placebo and reality. Obviously there is reality here, but to what extent...........where it's from at times goes unknown.

The fact that there is so many region choices now as well as firmware levels.........at times I miss the experience of older firmwares.......but it's easy to change back.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #5,568 of 8,223
This new installer threw me little as it apparently also automatically switches off USB Mass storage mode? At least I had to turn it back on manually after each re-boot after CFW, followed by external tuning, installation. I was in a bit of a frenzy when after re-boot following Midnight v2 install, my WM1A did not mount as an external device....but then I noticed the USB Mass storage mode was off....
This is because the new firmware loads a new config file and resets your settings in the Walkman. Just change it back in the usb connection settings in the walkman to always have mass storage mode kick in automatically and you won’t have to do it manually each time.

Sep 5, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #5,569 of 8,223
Been trying out Midnight v2 (for WM1A) with Project Z tuning (Plus v2 ; different DAC mode). I'm so used to FEv2 (whether on it's older stand alone CFW or external tuning used on Dawn2), it was a bit jarring, but my brain is getting accustomed to it. I don't hate it, and in fact, can see myself growing to like it more and more over time. Gonna live with this for a while and see if it sticks for me.

I am a Mac user, so use a Windows VM to flash CFW. This new installer threw me little as it apparently also automatically switches off USB Mass storage mode? At least I had to turn it back on manually after each re-boot after CFW, followed by external tuning, installation. I was in a bit of a frenzy when after re-boot following Midnight v2 install, my WM1A did not mount as an external device....but then I noticed the USB Mass storage mode was off....

The same for me on both counts... SQ quite a shift from FEv2 but I'll definitely give it a few days for my brain to adjust.

Likewise with my 1A not connecting, I was getting very worried when it wasn't mounting, it was only when I tried to connect to the Mac as normal that I noticed I needed to switch mass storage mode on.

Sep 5, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #5,570 of 8,223
The same for me on both counts... SQ quite a shift from FEv2 but I'll definitely give it a few days for my brain to adjust.

Likewise with my 1A not connecting, I was getting very worried when it wasn't mounting, it was only when I tried to connect to the Mac as normal that I noticed I needed to switch mass storage mode on.

Something similar to the improvements for Midnight v2 for 1A should also come for Dawn for 1A and possibly for 1Z as well in the near future.

As the A30/40/50 players now sound basically the same with the same Midnight v2 firmware, so it should be for the 1A and 1Z.

I don't know yet, as I haven't done the test between the two stock 1A vs 1Z. But........

I tend to think this will be the definitive answer........even before testing.

And never hearing the DMP-Z1 I can't tell you anything. But the TA has only firmware from Sony that utilizes on line communication between Sony and the TA. That means it's a different ball of wax all together. The firmware can't so far be obtained for the TA. Remember the 1A, 1Z and DMP-Z1 are all made by a separate wing of engineers at Sony, so that may mean the same operating system, where the TA is a separate set.

As far as the 1A vs the 1Z, your going to get many opinions. Some may say to mod your 1A, some may say to get a 1Z, some may say the 1A is all you need. But (as above) so far........I would exactly quote the words by Lookout57. But to continue to pontificate if I could........the 1A will always be its own thing. That thing has a sexy bass all its own. At times the 1Z is more clear and more real, but that could even be the situation. Like stated above the sound stage now is very similar but still it's slightly more front to back with the 1Z, where the 1A it's side to side. The bass is thicker still with the 1Z, but not as fast. We may be at the closest ever between the two players..........still even the treble of the 1Z is different. It is what it has always been which is brighter way up top and more spread out. The 1A is still more midcenteric to me, but that's what is thrilling and that's what is special. I'm still not at a one to one with the 1A and 1Z; meaning I have not got to the test of same regions, same IEMs and same firmware, and even then I could experience expectation bias. So I have a way to try two pairs of exactly the same IEMs in 3.5mm.

The 1A at times has this super fast thing in the midrange as well as a sculpted bass, that when they team up in effect.......it's eye watering. The 1Z never does that. But all and all the 1Z is better. It is like having two complementing devices.....the 1A and 1Z. But in history the 1A has made the grandest jump; it went from being problematic in replay........just too thin and clinical......to being the cats meow! It's exciting now and one of my favorite pieces of audio gear ever. The 1A is special and can take you to a special place emotionally!

Basically you need to discover what works for you. Personally I will always prefer the 1Z, but that's just me. Many have gone ahead and upgraded their 1A with after market mods. The mods change the capacitors, wires.....and resistors to make the 1A different. Still the 1Z has the case. The case is heavy.......it is truly hard to figure out what the case does........as its suppose to blacken the background.........but how due you perceive that one? I mean you do perceive it, but how do you quantify it? A lot of what we do is based on theory. Then perception comes with knowing that theory is in place. There is a fine line at times between placebo and reality. Obviously there is reality here, but to what extent...........where it's from at times goes unknown.

The fact that there is so many region choices now as well as firmware levels.........at times I miss the experience of older firmwares.......but it's easy to change back.

Cheers!

The Midnight v2 for 1A is made to bridge the last remaining gap consisting of some key differences between a 1A and 1Z while they're both running Midnight v2 (on 1Z) and Midnight v2 for 1A (on 1A).

When we'll have the 1Z sound for the 1A you should do a comparison between stock 1Z and 1A with the 1Z sound and notice differences then.

We couldn't get as close to the 1Z sound before on the 1A.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #5,571 of 8,223
This is undoubtedly me not being very clever, however, does anyone know why there is no output from the WM1A, when it is showing correctly?

Edit: it’s just started, strange! - I’ll blame it on user error!

Attachments

• C2AD52D8-7076-41B9-B85F-04F259E25E1D.png
    C2AD52D8-7076-41B9-B85F-04F259E25E1D.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #5,572 of 8,223
This is undoubtedly me not being very clever, however, does anyone know why there is no output from the WM1A, when it is showing correctly?

It seems that the glitching sometimes still happens. Try force-restarting your Walkman. Maybe it's because of this.

I also get it sometimes, but a restart helps now, compared to before when it just didn't work while the screen was off.

Sep 5, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #5,573 of 8,223
It seems that the glitching sometimes still happens. Try force-restarting your Walkman. Maybe it's because of this.

I also get it sometimes, but a restart helps now, compared to before when it just didn't work while the screen was off.
This was USB DAC mode, by the by, it’s started now - thanks as always for giving us magical possibilities!

Sep 5, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #5,574 of 8,223
Something similar to the improvements for Midnight v2 for 1A should also come for Dawn for 1A and possibly for 1Z as well in the near future.

As the A30/40/50 players now sound basically the same with the same Midnight v2 firmware, so it should be for the 1A and 1Z.

The Midnight v2 for 1A is made to bridge the last remaining gap consisting of some key differences between a 1A and 1Z while they're both running Midnight v2 (on 1Z) and Midnight v2 for 1A (on 1A).

When we'll have the 1Z sound for the 1A you should do a comparison between stock 1Z and 1A with the 1Z sound and notice differences then.

We couldn't get as close to the 1Z sound before on the 1A.
Yes, I will test.

Sep 5, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #5,575 of 8,223
This was USB DAC mode, by the by, it’s started now - thanks as always for giving us magical possibilities!

Ah, it might've taken some time for the USB audio part on your smartphone to initialize or something.

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #5,578 of 8,223
At least the 1Z sound is more accesible to reach, let's say, due to the similarity between the 1A and 1Z.

At the moment I'm just out for a good listening experience, and not necesarily for "fixed/pure" stuff.

The 1Z sound will be available too for the 1A for whoever wants to at least try it. I also have an idea to try related to getting the Dawn to sound more towards the DMP-Z1.

So Dawn/DMP-WM1 was created with the aim of reaching towards the DMP-Z1 sound, while Midnight is more of a fun Project (Z).

Edit: The stock 1A sound signature is just inferior in terms of sound reproduction, I can't honestly imagine how someone might prefer that. Maybe someone actually prefers that, or maybe they have something against firmware modifications out of principle and they are "stubborn" in using the 1A "the way Sony engineers intended" - which again, it's an inferior sound reproduction, for example. Well, to each their own, of course.

The 1A and 1Z have very similar hardware, proof being that now they sound really close.

I'm really enjoying what I hear like I never did before :)

20210905_021624-01.jpeg
To me, it boils down to "a fun/entertaining/mobile" experience with the Midnight side. And "a audiophile/clean/as artist intended" with the Dawn side. I'm currently on the Midnightv2/Plusv2/Differently DAC/MX3 setting and truly enjoying this! But I kinda miss the Dawn clinical bite (so to speak), so if you have plans to improve/extend the Dawn FW, please go ahead, I'm very interested in that!
I spend 95% of the time with my 1Z to and from work, biking. So with the wind/trafic noises, the greatness from the Dawn FW, is challenged for me! Midnight just sounds fuller for this use. But at heart im a Dawn fan! #Mr.Walkman love your work! A hug and thanks from here!

Sep 5, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #5,579 of 8,223
I’m so impressed with my A55 on the latest Midnight it’s got me considering straight upgrading all the way to a 1A. Someone convince me they’re close enough in sound that I’d only be doing it for balanced out and a bigger screen at the cost of extreme bulk and several hundred dollars 😭

Sep 5, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #5,580 of 8,223
I’m so impressed with my A55 on the latest Midnight it’s got me considering straight upgrading all the way to a 1A. Someone convince me they’re close enough in sound that I’d only be doing it for balanced out and a bigger screen at the cost of extreme bulk and several hundred dollars 😭

While the A55 now sounds amazing, the 1A still sounds more clear, open, and effortless - yes, the A55 may also sound like this, but better is possible.

Of course, there is also the more output power, bigger screen, balanced port...

I could definitely live with the A55, but it's nice to have the 1A available, especially for listening at home.

Edit: to summarize, the A55 now sounds similar to the 1A with Midnight v2 (for 1A), and hence, with the 1Z with Midnight v2, but both 1A and 1Z have more capable hardware, so they produce better results.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back