Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 25, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #3,196 of 8,230
Thank you for your insight on this. I was curious and wasn't really hoping it's feasible at all, just wondered about it. If the sound will ultimately become artificial then it's not for me too. Much better stay on your ZX300 firmware tweaks and improvements. I appreciate the explanation. Looking forward to the update. Thanks!

It's exactly the artificial amplified everything kind, that is supposed to sound "aWeSoMe".

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #3,198 of 8,230
Nice. But the first battery bar always lasts the longest. After which the other bars dissapear quite fast. But it’s good you’re doing the test.

Yes it is strange.

With FEv2 Plus On my upgraded unit the first and last bar gives me 10 hours each while the middle 2 bars give me 5 hours each for a total of 30 hours and 7 days stand by.

On FE the numbers were 14, 6, 6, 14 for a total of 40 hours and 10 days stand by.

I play on average 4 hours each evening.

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #3,199 of 8,230
The first bar just went away a few seconds after checking the player.

So the first bar lasted for almost 8.5 hours.

Next, I will just see when the battery starts blinking.

I was just thinking that the Walkman OS interface would look really nice on an OLED screen, as on those screens the black is truly black, and not light up from behind.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #3,201 of 8,230
The battery icon is flashing after more than 20 hours - the player is still playing right now, but I got the battery low message, so I will stop it and connect the charging cable.

Jan 25, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #3,202 of 8,230
Quite honestly i don't know how You did it
Mr.Walkman but currently Wm1z sounds incredibly...
Maybe I'll start with the bass I heard Sp1000ss, Sp1000cu, Cowon Plenue L, LPG, Cayin n6ii, Sp2000cu but none even came close to pure perfection .
With new firmware DMP-WM1FE (PLUS) bass is fast, very dynamic, perfectly controlled, it goes very low with a tectonic reverb I've never heard anything like it
Sony should buy the software from You and officially release it as the final firmware .
The rest is just pure harmony huge soundstage , super separation, great midrange and beautiful treble even such "old" iem as Mdr Ex1000 and Akg K3001it sounds more pleasant and close to modern technologies
Again thanks a lot Mr.Walkman :)

20210125_215928.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #3,203 of 8,230
Can't wait for FE++ :D

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #3,204 of 8,230
I've the FEv2 on my K-mod Wm1z. This player is my daily driver paired with 64audio A18t.

EDM and songs that have strong bass benefits from the plus version. For rest of the songs I listen to, I prefer the classic version.

The plus version has good sub-bass extension, slightly more than the classic version. But to my ears the plus version sounds a little boosted and colored.

Of course, each would have their own preferences. Mine is classic version.

I used to have wm1a and k-mod wm1a. Those would benefit a lot from the plus version.

But thanks to @MrWalkman for getting more out of this awesome player.

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #3,205 of 8,230
My experience with the DMP-WM1FE (PLUS) firmware

Me: Now I'm gonna make you sweat with this crappy mix
S-master : pfff... sit down and listen son
Me: :scream:

Great job @MrWalkman

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #3,206 of 8,230
Quite honestly i don't know how You did it
Mr.Walkman but currently Wm1z sounds incredibly...
Maybe I'll start with the bass I heard Sp1000ss, Sp1000cu, Cowon Plenue L, LPG, Cayin n6ii, Sp2000cu but none even came close to pure perfection .
With new firmware DMP-WM1FE (PLUS) bass is fast, very dynamic, perfectly controlled, it goes very low with a tectonic reverb I've never heard anything like it
Sony should buy the software from You and officially release it as the final firmware .
The rest is just pure harmony huge soundstage , super separation, great midrange and beautiful treble even such "old" iem as Mdr Ex1000 and Akg K3001it sounds more pleasant and close to modern technologies
Again thanks a lot Mr.Walkman :)

20210125_215928.jpg
I’ll go for the ex1k any day. True legends

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #3,207 of 8,230
I wonder if DMP-WM1FE (PLUS) have any application on Bluetooth transmission in LDAC mode to some headphones or external BT amp ?

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #3,208 of 8,230
I wonder if DMP-WM1FE (PLUS) have any application on Bluetooth transmission in LDAC mode to some headphones or external BT amp ?

It shouldn't.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #3,209 of 8,230
thank you all guys :xf_cool:

classic sounds nice , the first word that comes to mind is taut / tight

wm1a is fantastic bang for buck , considering you can find one used for 600-700$

Just wait until you listen to FEv2 Plus :sunglasses: WM1A remains to be one of the better deals out there; There are DAP's that are more resolving & detailed, DAP's that are more analogue & organic yet you will have to pay considerably more and/or the feature set will be significantly reduced as the trade off...

WM1A is built up to a price not built down to a price and that makes for a difference. The WM1A exudes quality with both the hardware & software being well engineered and rock solid. Recently looked at a competitor, simply put the DAP down as it felt like a mid level smart phone with a volume wheel slapped on it, clearly being built down to a specific price point. For me at least I like attention to details and that includes the build quality.

Icing on the cake is custom firmware with several flavours to choose from that adds a level of unheard flexibility with any other DAP. Even Sony's own official firmware is forwards and backwards compatible, let alone the ability to switch regions to again tune the sound signature to the listeners preference. Sony's semi open approach is certainly to the benefit of the community as a whole, with the vast majority of providers locking you into firmware updates with zero downgrade path or user customisation.

As a stand alone player the WM1A remains to be a solid option in 2021 and is well recommended...

Q-6

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back