Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 11, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #5,702 of 8,232
Hey, there is a new settings system based on a file in the internal storage. Among other things, you can change if you want to start with the Plus mode as default, so you won't have to put the Hold button in the Up position to start in the Plus mode, for example.

You can also choose between the Plus v1 or Plus v2 modes.

All the details about this are on the firmware's page.

I’ve read the details on the firmware page. However I’m a bit confused. When I open the CFW folder the only files I see are boot_log.txt and midnight_settings_1a.txt. I do not see the settings file for to make the adjustments. Any help?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #5,703 of 8,232
Well, it's the "midnight_settings_1a.txt" one.

Sep 11, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #5,704 of 8,232
Before I got my 1Z, I used and enjoyed the modded FW on my 1A. After getting the 1Z, I decided to try the older stock FW. I started with 3.1 then as of yesterday I went to 1.2. The differences are not subtle and so far I am enamored with 1.2 but I am missing the newer features and the device is slightly more laggy.

I loved the fact Mr. W was going to make a mod for the 1A to sound like the 1Z. I never got to try it as I returned the 1A prior to it coming out. After doing my testing with the older stock FW; it led me to a thought. If you are try to make the 1A sound like the 1Z; which 1Z are you trying to emulate? The 1Z on 1.2, 3.1 and 3.2 sound nothing alike.

When reading reviews you have to look at the date of the review and correlate it to the FW at the time. I was hearing that the 1Z had big bass, recessed/diffuse mids and more extended treble than the 1A. Also, the 1Z was tube like and organic. There is a lot going on when trying achieve the 1Z sound.

I see that the base FW for all the modded FW is 3.2 which is the furthest away from the lush 1Z sound I was after. Mr. W have you ever thought about using older FW as the starting point for your mods?

I would love to have the newer features (dac mode, etc) of the new FW on the old FW. Is this even possible? I guess that is a bridge you would have to cross if you used it as the base for a new mod as I guess people wouldn't want to lose the new features.

Damn it man! So many options and choices for people that like to tinker. I am using 1.2 with the UM Mest MK2 and the soundstage is unusually good and not in the usual wider, taller, all around you and sitting in a sphere sense. I get all of those things except for wider but with the mids being recessed; the depth really stands out. Something strange and glorious is going on.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #5,705 of 8,232
Before I got my 1Z, I used and enjoyed the modded FW on my 1A. After getting the 1Z, I decided to try the older stock FW. I started with 3.1 then as of yesterday I went to 1.2. The differences are not subtle and so far I am enamored with 1.2 but I am missing the newer features and the device is slightly more laggy.

I loved the fact Mr. W was going to make a mod for the 1A to sound like the 1Z. I never got to try it as I returned the 1A prior to it coming out. After doing my testing with the older stock FW; it led me to a thought. If you are try to make the 1A sound like the 1Z; which 1Z are you trying to emulate? The 1Z on 1.2, 3.1 and 3.2 sound nothing alike.

When reading reviews you have to look at the date of the review and correlate it to the FW at the time. I was hearing that the 1Z had big bass, recessed/diffuse mids and more extended treble than the 1A. Also, the 1Z was tube like and organic. There is a lot going on when trying achieve the 1Z sound.

I see that the base FW for all the modded FW is 3.2 which is the furthest away from the lush 1Z sound I was after. Mr. W have you ever thought about using older FW as the starting point for your mods?

I would love to have the newer features (dac mode, etc) of the new FW on the old FW. Is this even possible? I guess that is a bridge you would have to cross if you used it as the base for a new mod as I guess people wouldn't want to lose the new features.

Damn it man! So many options and choices for people that like to tinker. I am using 1.2 with the UM Mest MK2 and the soundstage is unusually good and not in the usual wider, taller, all around you and sitting in a sphere sense. I get all of those things except for wider but with the mids being recessed; the depth really stands out. Something strange and glorious is going on.

We can't add features to old firmware. Also, the target is the 3.02 1Z.

By the way, this is the 1.0 firnware for 1A/Z.

Maybe I'll take a look at the 1.20 firmware and see if I can do anything to make it run smoother at least - this could be used by people who can live without BT Receiver or USB DAC.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #5,706 of 8,232
Well, it's the "midnight_settings_1a.txt" one.

Thanks. At first I thought this was just an instructions file. I didn’t realise I could edit the text below each instructions. I don’t think I have had much sleep the previous night 😂

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #5,707 of 8,232
Midnight v2 for 1A is made specifically for the 1A to further bridge the gap between how Midnight sounds on the 1Z vs how it sounds on the 1A.

You could also install the "WM1Z" ones, but it won't sound like it does on the 1Z.

Dawn is coming in an all-in-one firmware.

i see , i am currently at FEv2 , but i have downloaded/stored all CFWs after that so maybe i will try them all at some point

for now FEv2 is fine , i also downloaded the 2 CFWs for 1z (dawn/midnight V2) , maybe i will try them also

thanx for all the hard work , looking forward to the Dawn v2 (for 1a) - damn there are too many CFWs which is a good kind of headache :xf_cool:

Sep 11, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #5,708 of 8,232
i see , i am currently at FEv2 , but i have downloaded/stored all CFWs after that so maybe i will try them all at some point

for now FEv2 is fine , i also downloaded the 2 CFWs for 1z (dawn/midnight V2) , maybe i will try them also

thanx for all the hard work , looking forward to the Dawn v2 (for 1a) - damn there are too many CFWs which is a good kind of headache :xf_cool:

The next Dawn will be for both players, and it will close the gap between them similar to hoe Midnight v2 for 1A does.

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #5,710 of 8,232
I`m sorry if this is a not apropriate question, but wouldn`t it be nice to have a google drive with all firmware released for the wma1a/z ? I would love to check them all out...
Use search as someone has uploaded and posted a link to all the Sony installers.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #5,711 of 8,232
The background installation process was changed during all this time, so the latest ones are the most stable.

Also, the older ones don't sound better 99% of the time. Basically, if newer releases wouldn't be better, they wouldn't have been released.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #5,713 of 8,232
The next Dawn will be for both players, and it will close the gap between them similar to hoe Midnight v2 for 1A does.
Questions:
  • Will Dawn V2 be stock Sony based on DMP-Z1 FW and or customised tuning?
  • Will Dawn V2 be reflective of WM1A or WM1Z or both as this matters?
  • Is it possible to have 100% Sony stock internal FW & external tuning option with your additional features; DAC mode. Plus mode, DSEE AI etc.?
To date, to my ear/taste, library & headgear FEv2 is the closest to being 100% accurate barring the very early releases of Chameleon which solely utilised stock Sony WM1A/Z FW.

Thx in advance...

Q-6

Sep 11, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #5,714 of 8,232
Sep 11, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #5,715 of 8,232
Questions:
  • Will Dawn V2 be stock Sony based on DMP-Z1 FW and or customised tuning?
  • Will Dawn V2 be reflective of WM1A or WM1Z or both as this matters?
  • Is it possible to have 100% Sony stock internal FW & external tuning option with your additional features; DAC mode. Plus mode, DSEE AI etc.?
To date, to my ear/taste, library & headgear FEv2 is the closest to being 100% accurate barring the very early releases of Chameleon which solely utilised stock Sony WM1A/Z FW.

Thx in advance...

Q-6

We can't run the Z1 FW on the 1A/Z, so Dawn will still be based on the 1A/Z FW.

The next Dawn (as part of the Walkman One firmware) will be similar to Midnight v2 for 1A - that means that on 1A it will sound very very similar to how 1Z will sound with Dawn.

Walkman One will have the 1Z sound signature available, so it will basically be the stock 1Z firmware with all the additional options. By default, this unreleased FW will have all additional settings in the settings file not enabled (DIM=0, Normal mode by default, etc.). The 1A sound signature is just made inferior by Sony, like the A50 sound vs the 1Z sound, for example - the A50 can sound a lot better, but it's made not to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back