Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #3,841 of 8,223
How about Polar and Equator?

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #3,842 of 8,223
whatever the names , we will use them

i only mentioned it , cause having a standard technical point of reference works easier to remember what each fw sounds like

Imagine if people start saying ''dusk was good but dawn rules and i liked twilight'' - pure confusion, trying to remember which one is which

whereas saying i liked project Z but wmfev2 is better has kept everyone here in the same page

i think that using non sony related names will blur what each fw sound like
I can agree with that, but remember the old tunings named after the planets and seasons? Everyone pretty much adapted to those.

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #3,843 of 8,223
How about Polar and Equator?

That could've been something, except that I find "Polar" a bit too to the extreme side though :D

In any case, I am past that stage right now. It's not long until the release.

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #3,844 of 8,223
I can agree with that, but remember the old tunings named after the planets and seasons? Everyone pretty much adapted to those.

ask anyone who used them how jupiter sounded next to venus and i will send you a check if anyone really remembers

besides this is different as we are already used to the names like fe and project z , so this is mid-point change

anyways , it's probably an opportunity to sharpen our memories , right ?

onward with the new names then

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #3,845 of 8,223
ask anyone who used them how jupiter sounded next to venus and i will send you a check if anyone really remembers

besides this is different as we are already used to the names like fe and project z , so this is mid-point change

anyways , it's probably an opportunity to sharpen our memories , right ?

onward with the new names then
At the time there was a lot of experienentation and discussion about the tunings, but I think the era of these firmwares and new thread has pushed all that back into the history books.

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #3,846 of 8,223
That could've been something, except that I find "Polar" a bit too to the extreme side though :D

In any case, I am past that stage right now. It's not long until the release.
Even though it's too late another would have been Night and Day.

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #3,848 of 8,223
1613664942125.png

Well, I'm not really like this right now, but in any case, the update is on the way and it should arrive soon.

I decided to call "DMP-WM1 FE" as "Dawn", and "Project Z" as "Dusk" -
- "Dawn" representing a more neutral sound overall of DMP-WM1 FE, while "Dusk" representing the warmer sound of Project Z.

These names should be better than "DMP-WM1 FEGHIJKLKMNO" etc. :sweat_smile:
First thing that came into my mind is Crinacle's dawn and dusk Iems

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #3,849 of 8,223
I’m not sure if it’s still recommended to use DMP-A50R FE, but I have been finding the additional 10 band equaliser (with 0.5 steps) useful for equalising some earphones. I only received the error window once, following the first boot.

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #3,850 of 8,223
Dawn and Midnight are now available for the WM1 players.

Dawn - formerly known as DMP-WM1 FE (more suitable for warmer headphones*)
Midnight - formerly known as Project Z (more suitable for neutral headphones*)

These are just recommendations. Ideally you should give both a try and decide for yourself which one suits you and your gear best.

Updates (for both):
- a more overall cleaner, fuller, smoother, holographic, and natural sound signature, in both the Classic and Plus boot modes;
- if the external tuning will not be applied, you will see a message regarding this in the "Unit Information" menu.

You can find both of them here.

As always, feel free to share your thoughts :)

I’m not sure if it’s still recommended to use DMP-A50R FE, but I have been finding the additional 10 band equaliser (with 0.5 steps) useful for equalising some earphones. I only received the error window once, following the first boot.
If it works ok, then feel free to use it. It doesn't work ok for everyone.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #3,851 of 8,223

Dawn - formerly known as DMP-WM1 FE
Midnight - formerly known as Project Z

Updates (for both):
- a more overall cleaner, fuller, smoother, holographic, and natural sound signature, in both the Classic and Plus boot modes;
- if the external tuning will not be applied, you will see a message regarding this in the "Unit Information" menu.

Unlimited firmwares. Well, for now. Got to say, we are a lucky bunch and hopefully we appreciate MrWalkman for all his dedicated hard work.

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #3,852 of 8,223

These are just recommendations. Ideally you should give both a try and decide for yourself which one suits you and your gear best.

Updates (for both):

And the enjoyment begins yet again!

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #3,853 of 8,223

Updates (for both):

I'll be waiting for the ZX300 version. Thanks to your work it evolved from a very good dap to an excellent one. Thanks, all my praise.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #3,854 of 8,223

Updates (for both):

Just tried the Midnight Plus, wow wow wow. The dark and smeared mid of the old Z (with my K10) is gone.
The mid became so lush, detail, and emotional. Unbelievable work, @MrWalkman !!!

I encourage whoever prefers the Fev2 over project Z have a second listen to the new Midnight Plus. It's a game changer.

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #3,855 of 8,223

Updates (for both):

It would be good if you could use the hold mode to switch between them - wake up to dawn and drift off to sleep with midnight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back