Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 1, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #16 of 8,230
You'll benefit from this no doubt using your K5 Pro?
Indeed it would. Will try further this evening sms report back. But off the 3.5mm direct via my Z5 and also 1more triple driver headphones, the sound is phenomenal.

Oct 1, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #17 of 8,230
In languages other than English, the installer was showing something like "The device did not respond".

I updated the installer, and it will not say that anymore. I also updated the download link on the site.

This did not affect the installation of the firmware though.

Oct 1, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #18 of 8,230
hi, @MrWalkman
I see File StockRevert ext tuning,i need to install this file if i want to roll back to stock ?. Thanks for your support

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #19 of 8,230
hi, @MrWalkman
I see File StockRevert ext tuning,i need to install this file if i want to roll back to stock ?. Thanks for your support

Yep, because a model change is done.

The correct external tuning cannot be applied at the same time with the model change, so this is why the external tuning needs to be applied separately.

So you would need to install "StockRevert Ext. Tuning" after you returned to stock using "StockRevert (DMP-WM1)".

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #21 of 8,230
@MrWalkman many thanks for this new FW!

I've already got your WM1A/Z++ 2.0 FW installed on my WM1A (and model left on WM1A); is it recommended to install the stock Sony FW again before installing this new DMP-1Z FW mod? Or I can just go ahead and install it and it will remove/overwrite the existing modded FW?

Also, as a general question (for you or anyone to answer), how would you say the sound signature of this new FW differs for the WM1A from your recent WM1A/Z++ 2.0 FW? :)
I've never heard the DMP-1Z, but my assumption was that this would be less warm and organic and a somewhat more reference/audiophile tuning?

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #22 of 8,230
I've already got your WM1A/Z++ 2.0 FW installed on my WM1A (and model left on WM1A); is it recommended to install the stock Sony FW again before installing this new DMP-1Z FW mod? Or I can just go ahead and install it and it will remove/overwrite the existing modded FW?

You can just go ahead and install this new one. It will overwrite anything that's already installed.

Also, as a general question (for you or anyone to answer), how would you say the sound signature of this new FW differs for the WM1A from your recent WM1A/Z++ 2.0 FW? :)
I've never heard the DMP-1Z, but my assumption was that this would be less warm and organic and a somewhat more reference/audiophile tuning?

Bass slams really good/deep and precise, while the soundstage is more holographic rather than wide, but it can also be really wide if the song calls it. Detail retrieval is also better in my opinion.

DMP-Z1 Review by Whitigir
Sound signature:
The imagines is so very vivid, with every thing just popped out of the portrait with such inner resolutions for every pieces of equipments, every pitch (starting to ending), every note, the housing resonances of each instruments or the reverberations of the room ambient. The sharp yet defined and liquid textures of each play. You can no longer be confused between each pieces of the whole pictures, each of the same categories instruments, the cues of positioning, the projected images are so clear and vivid while being so smooth, fluid, and very well connected as a whole...again, except that warmth. But when were the last time I could listen to something like this ? With such vividity, inner resolutions, fluidity and very analog like ? Well...never for any Digital pieces. So! Of course loving it.

Soundstage: since the Z7 and the NW-Zx2, I have always loved the soundstage of these Sony equipments. Yet, it needs neither gigantic in width nor depth nor expansive enough to be so special. What so special about Sony soundstage to my Opinion is that “spherical and holographical” presentations. The Zx2 were good, the WM1Z were similar but with better width and much taller Y axis. Now, the DMP-Z1, the spherical goes evenly Holographic. It is Spherical in all 3 axis, X-Y-Z...well the Y may not be as huge of the spherical as X and Z but all 3 are especially blended nicely to give out a very special spherical and holographical presentation. I, myself, feel like being enveloped and trapped within these 3 fields with guilty pleasures.

Bass: plenty of energy, slam, authoritative, speed, tightly controlled but yet still soft enough like a Firm Jelly, taking shape with defined resolution and defined density but neither too dry nor bloomy. It goes deep, and deeper, with excellent rumbles and extensions. The Drop and the ripples are so well defined. If makes me feel like the dances , textures and shapes of each bass textures are with infinite possibilities. It can changes slightly with others DSP, but this is in general observation

Vocal: Vocal are fluid, the emotions and textures of female and male vocal may changes with different digital filters. You can read on below to find out further. But there is no short coming from vocal to really point out the negatives about it

Treble: with finesses, Metallic resonances and sparkling are never missing. The airiness and extensions are so vivid and realistic without any hint of harshness even with Metal and Rock genres. It can be said to neither be overly smooth nor sharp, but just right, and of which I would call it being very accurately portraying the Metal instruments sizes and kind being played. It can still change it characteristics somewhat with the other DSP options but that is in general observations

His descriptions are matching what I'm hearing on my WM1A, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #23 of 8,230
Many thanks!
@MrWalkman
One more question; I've downloaded the new FW files, but not sure which one (or ones) to install?
"DMP-WM1_Ext_Tuning.exe" or "DMP-WM1 (1.0).exe"?

To explain, I've just got a new Windows laptop to use occasionally alongside my Mac, and will try to install it from there.
It's my first time trying to do anything like this in Windows (or even just using Windows really!) in about a decade :sweat_smile:
So not much idea really what I'm doing.
I was thinking just to plug in the WM1A to the laptop, then double click on the recommended .exe file and see what happens :joy:

Oct 1, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #24 of 8,230
Many thanks!
@MrWalkman
One more question; I've downloaded the new FW files, but not sure which one (or ones) to install?

To explain, I've just got a new Windows laptop to use occasionally alongside my Mac, and will try to install it from there.
It's my first time trying to do anything like this in Windows (or even just using Windows really!) in about a decade :sweat_smile:
I was thinking just to plug in the WM1A to the laptop, then double click on the recommended .exe file and see what happens :joy:

Install DMP-WM1, and after that install DMP-WM1 Ext. Tuning (external tuning).

When reverting to stock, install StockRevert (DMP-WM1), and after that install StockRevert Ext. Tuning.

I just added these instructions in the main post, and in the archive as well.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #25 of 8,230
Thanks bro...just donated to you and the cause again...I appreciate the hard work your doing for us to allow us to get more out of our 1A/Z models....this latest release is incredible!!!!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #26 of 8,230
Thanks bro...just donated to you and the cause again...I appreciate the hard work your doing for us to allow us to get more out of our 1A/Z models....this latest release is incredible!!!!

Really appreciate it, man! :beers:

Did you get a chance to listen to the sound?

Oct 1, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #27 of 8,230
Many thanks!
@MrWalkman

1- Install DMP-WM1
2- Install DMP-WM1_Ext_Tuning

To revert back to stock

1- StockRevert (DMP-WM1)
2- StockRevert_Ext_Tuning

Oct 1, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #28 of 8,230
Wow can’t wait for the FW update of ZX300

Oct 1, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #29 of 8,230

Users who are viewing this thread

Back