Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 3, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #2,402 of 8,221
I still prefer flac or dsd

FLAC or DSD quality is not the point with 360 Reality Audio, and even a good AAC file can sound awesome actually, if you don't obsess over the fact that "omg it's not DSD/FLAC".

Even streaming from Youtube via the Bluetooth Receiver or USB DAC functions sounds great.

Dec 3, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #2,403 of 8,221
I still prefer flac or dsd

360 is not a file format but a dsp processing of the music to create a 3D illusion. I have tried it with my WF-1000XM3 and Tidal on my iPhone and it’s OK but nothing revolutionary

Dec 3, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #2,404 of 8,221
360 is not a file format but a dsp processing of the music to create a 3D illusion. I have tried it with my WF-1000XM3 and Tidal on my iPhone and it’s OK but nothing revolutionary

considering a general consensus of how stereo is imaged in the human brain is impossible to quantify I will venture to guess that 360 audio is revolutionary in the lab with graphs and numbers, but in practical application?

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #2,405 of 8,221
Does anyone use the WM1A with Fullsize Headphones?

I got my Beyerdynamic Amiron yesterday and think about if the power of the Sony is enough?

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #2,407 of 8,221
360 is not a file format but a dsp processing of the music to create a 3D illusion.

All DSP is adding a digital signal to the music file (Digtial Signal Processing). Some sound great and others sound well “processed”. Pretty much every new digital recording using them and some track sound eerily ‘perfect’ for instance there’s no time variation because it’s ‘corrected’ before it’s released. It’s weird to say this is but I want some imperfections in album makes them more human.

Rock or pop performance are amplified live so you don’t get the nuances of the acoustics only jazz and classical rely on acoustics environments.

Recorded music needs to recreate ‘ideal’ room correction all use digital signal processing nowadays.

I think how it’s mixed makes all the difference.

I also think Sony stepping towards the Prosumer market will restrict audiophiles from getting more power in the flagship Walkmans because the mainstream headphone like Beats or Apple air pods with low impedience will simply be blown out by the extra current running through them resulting in ‘bad’ reviews.

Despite hating the title of this video. Boomers arguments of hating pop music is as old as jazz/Classical musicians hating rock music for being amplified, poor musical techniques not relying heavily on accents and dynamic markers like forte, piano, etc with natural acoustics created by the performer(s).

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #2,408 of 8,221
Does anyone use the WM1A with Fullsize Headphones?

I got my Beyerdynamic Amiron yesterday and think about if the power of the Sony is enough?

Using with Sony Z7M2 (balanced) and Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro (single ended). For the DT1770 Pro, I need to use high gain and have the volume at around 100-110.

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #2,409 of 8,221
considering a general consensus of how stereo is imaged in the human brain is impossible to quantify I will venture to guess that 360 audio is revolutionary in the lab with graphs and numbers, but in practical application?

“In Stereo” is also using effects like cross fades, reverb, delay, multitrack recordings, etc. In the early days it was all mono and some people even prefer it. Beatles records for example were released in “Mono” and “In Stereo”. Technically speaking “Mono” is how you would actually hear it in the room.

All That Is Important!

F17D49D2-B975-4E8B-9194-5F5635D234D8.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #2,410 of 8,221
“In Stereo” is also using effects like cross fades, reverb, delay, multitrack recordings, etc. In the early days it was all mono and some people even prefer it. Beatles records for example were released in “Mono” and “In Stereo”. Technically speaking “Mono” is how you would actually hear it in the room.

All That Is Important!

F17D49D2-B975-4E8B-9194-5F5635D234D8.jpeg
If humans heard in mono we would only need one ear regardless of the environment.

Dec 3, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #2,411 of 8,221
Dec 3, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #2,413 of 8,221
I have installed your firmware on my old Sony nwa35 and it has given it a new lease on life. It has no problem driving my Ollo Audio S4R headphones so well that it's difficult to put down!

Thank you.

Nice to hear it!

I'm curious, does it sound like simple EQ-ing to your ears (which is not)?

Dec 3, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #2,415 of 8,221
If humans heard in mono we would only need one ear regardless of the environment.

It’s a controlled environment created as an effect. Recordings were first use in mono not stereo recordings. That came afterwards like the 1950s or so. I.e. we don’t “see” in black or white and when color became it thing in Tv it became the norm. Technology, progress and innovation.

At first nobody knew what motion picture was and when they saw a train coming at them they thought it was real. There was also a backlash on “talkies” during the silent film era.

Film or music isn’t life. Only an imitation of our senses. That’s what art is. And most audiences aren’t quick to jump on something new (at least this was how it was in past!)

FYI: Vocals are usually in mono which is in the center channel. Surround sound is 5.1 mono multi channels.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back