Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 1, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #2,371 of 8,232
That's interesting considering that 4channel audio failed I believe just for how much space it needed in a room and the cost just for a basic system, olso 5.1 audio is very limited format in form of titles and there mostly use for movies and if you want to use in a really high and fashion you need a special decoder that is hard to find and adds distortion to the sound multiple drivers and a huge room if you don't want to experience 5.1 in the sound space of a small room. I remember watching back in the day a fund raiser for some headphones that used 360° through multiple drivers. These thing aims to use preexisting hardware, this can't be really 360 sound it's gonna be an illustration mixed through an eq and other plug in features. I imagine any audiophile would find audible distortions to the sound. There are people that choose to listen to mono audio and they have really advanced systems .I don't know if this is the next big thing but I highly doubt that and in my eyes it's seems like a gimmick.

Sony is great at innovating, but end up pigeon holing themselves with proprietary technologies. WMport, DSD and ATRAC to name a few. So perhaps they will continue on that path

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #2,372 of 8,232
I choose to maintain an open mind - Android or not, the sound will be there, and it's ultimately the sound that we'll be shelling out for.

also it means that those who want artist images, per track album art, programmable now playing lists, videos, podcasts and audiobooks in their Walkman for whatever reason will have nothing to complain about

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #2,373 of 8,232
That's interesting considering that 4channel audio failed I believe just for how much space it needed in a room and the cost just for a basic system, olso 5.1 audio is very limited format in form of titles and there mostly use for movies and if you want to use in a really high and fashion you need a special decoder that is hard to find and adds distortion to the sound multiple drivers and a huge room if you don't want to experience 5.1 in the sound space of a small room. I remember watching back in the day a fund raiser for some headphones that used 360° through multiple drivers. These thing aims to use preexisting hardware, this can't be really 360 sound it's gonna be an illustration mixed through an eq and other plug in features. I imagine any audiophile would find audible distortions to the sound. There are people that choose to listen to mono audio and they have really advanced systems .I don't know if this is the next big thing but I highly doubt that and in my eyes it's seems like a gimmick.
So I tried the features and first impressions are bad. I'm using sennheiser open headphones so I don't know if that the problem but 360 music sounds just like when you open a reverb so I don't know what to think

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #2,374 of 8,232
I choose to maintain an open mind - Android or not, the sound will be there, and it's ultimately the sound that we'll be shelling out for.

also it means that those who want artist images, per track album art, programmable now playing lists, videos, podcasts and audiobooks in their Walkman for whatever reason will have nothing to complain about
You know because I have some problems with it doesn't mean I don't like it. I if you can believe it I really love this thing but I have use it enough to think hey that thing could be done differently.

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #2,375 of 8,232
I was also under the impression that their S-Master digital amplification tech means that a dedicated DAC chip is not required, and they maintain that approach on the Android devices. Matt (of the Techmoan channel) does find the A105 to have better sound than the A55. So as always, it's subjective.

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #2,376 of 8,232
I was also under the impression that their S-Master digital amplification tech means that a dedicated DAC chip is not required

S-Master digital amplification is a dedicated DSP circuit not a DAC chip per se.

Of course Sony doesn’t have to put one in but they put two third party DAC Chips in the DMP-Z1 for reasons unknown to me.

Updated:
Unlike traditional analog amplifiers, an S-Master digital amplifier uses less energy to produce the same signal. The increase in energy efficiency eliminates the need for a large heat sink and large power supply found in conventional designs.

My guess is that they wanted a longer battery life and avoid thermal shutdowns with the S-Master digital amplifier but they don’t push out enough mW because they don’t require a bigger power supply. This is fine for the entry level models but not ok for the Midtier to flagship in 2021.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #2,379 of 8,232
Because they opted to go with a higher power supply with a third party DAC chip like all the traditional modern dac makers do and then jacked up the price to 8 grand! That’s shady (dodgy).
Circuit design is really important to great sound so if they found a great chip and focused there effort on making everything else great they lower the cost and make a great product but that depends highly on the chip which I don't know if it's good or not. Although it is shady when you pay such a high price. But even hifi companies that produce great external DACs outsource chips from companies that specializes on that rather than trying making everything great by themselves

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #2,380 of 8,232

For me, a good DAP should be more than just sound, for me, I expect,

- user-friendly, responsive UI,
- battery friendly (efficient battery consumption, decent playback time compare to its battery capacity)

I am open minded to any android based DAP, as long as they fulfill my expectations from a good DAP listed above. Unfortunately I haven't come around with any good DAP that are Android based yet, things could change in the future though.

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #2,381 of 8,232
For me, a good DAP should be more than just sound, for me, I expect,

- user-friendly, responsive UI,
- battery friendly (efficient battery consumption, decent playback time compare to its battery capacity)

I am open minded to any android based DAP, as long as they fulfill my expectations from a good DAP listed above. Unfortunately I haven't come around with any good DAP that are Android based yet, things could change in the future though.

For sure. I think with Sony and Android however, user-friendliness and responsiveness should be among the least of our worries. Sony's Android builds are actually polished and fairly recent (unlike, say, Fiio), they have experience with Android devices, and as long as there's a decent CPU and stable firmware powering the thing it should more or less work as intended.

Battery life... Now that's the part they haven't figured out yet.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #2,383 of 8,232
I consider Android as a waste of hardware resources - the same hardware can be taken to MUCH higher levels* using other OS (Linux, SonyOS, what have you)

* or conversely the same levels can be achieved with lower hw specs (and therefore cheaper)

Don't get me wrong, I would much prefer if Sony stuck with their own OS across the Walkman range. But the appeal of hires streaming is too great for too many people, and Sony can only hold out for so long if Walkman products are to continue existing. Though companies like Hiby have been able to bodge together their own custom solution for Tidal, the only way in which Tidal is ever going to work offline on a DAP is if it is running Android. Sony doesn't have control over that, and to develop their own bespoke hires streaming service and lose millions because of it is more something the Sony of the 2000s would do.

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #2,384 of 8,232
I think Tidal (or others) are just a question of licensing fees... nothing to do with the underlying technology. I'm very much not into the streaming scene - I don't want to rely on network availability on the one hand and on the other I have more music "offline" than I realistically can hope to listen to. :)

I know that Deezer works (can work) on Linux based players, as on my Pioneer

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #2,385 of 8,232
I think Tidal (or others) are just a question of licensing fees... nothing to do with the underlying technology. I'm very much not into the streaming scene - I don't want to rely on network availability on the one hand and on the other I have more music "offline" than I realistically can hope to listen to. :)

I know that Deezer works (can work) on Linux based players, as on my Pioneer

Yeah, and Bluetooth Receiver sounds perfectly fine if I want to stream something from my smartphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back