Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #2,071 of 8,232
Which of your iems does it sound veiled with? Fourte or encore? I can confidently say its not the cable since i have the exact same, symbiote 19 elite :D
It’s actual on both, but I have decided to change tips from peeled Symbio to Sedna in order to let more treble shine. And as always some brain burn-in should also be in order! J is my favorite, it seems to the best placing of everything and almost in sound.

Nov 22, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #2,072 of 8,232
I’m now at 14 hours and still have all 4 bars so the recalibration has worked so it really does seem that the installation of these fw, at least on the A55, messes with battery calibration and a full discharge followed by a full charge is needed after installation. It feels like what the charge of the battery is at the time of installation becomes the new max until a recalibration has been performed

Nov 22, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #2,074 of 8,232
CN is aimed at the Chinese market and a specific genre; massively boosts resolution right through the mid's to the peak of the treble, bumps up the sub bass at the end. You'll know if your on the right region for your taste as you wont be reaching for the EQ. CN with the localised music is indeed pleasing, with other genres it can sound rather shrill...

Q-6
wich one did you finally stayed at? and what FW?

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #2,077 of 8,232
At the same time, I'm thinking it could also be because of the superior sound processing involved.

In that case, the same would go for all DMP FE firmware versions (for all devices).

To be honest I'm not monitoring the battery usage too much myself. Still, the recalibration process could help.

On another note, it's awesome when I use the computer for several hours, and after that I play some music from the player, and I hear again that big scene. It's like relaxation for my ears.
Enable DSEE HX AI may increase the battery usage. I don’t use it very often as I listen to DSD and Hi-res a lot.

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #2,079 of 8,232
wich one did you finally stayed at? and what FW?
J region, firmware varies; 3.02, Chameleon (1.3), WM1AZ+ 3.02 (1.3), DMP-WM1 FE

Q-6

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #2,080 of 8,232
I prefer CN over J on every genre and my gear is on the very detailed end of the spectrum.

Perhaps because of its resolution it reveals flaws in our gear rather than smoothing it over?

Very much depends on the DAP and headgear, CN is more forgiving on say the likes of ZX300, WM1A not so much as will push all the way being far more resolving. CN mostly sounds the way it does due to being heavily boosted at 8K.

Q-6

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #2,081 of 8,232
Very much depends on the DAP and headgear, CN is more forgiving on say the likes of ZX300, WM1A not so much as will push all the way being far more resolving. CN mostly sounds the way it does due to being heavily boosted at 8K.

Q-6
Yes, perhaps. The Balanced output of the WM1A is the most resolving out of all sony players save the DMP-Z1's Single ended output and it may beat it yet with @MrWalkman 's firmware

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #2,082 of 8,232
Yes, perhaps. The Balanced output of the WM1A is the most resolving out of all sony players save the DMP-Z1's Single ended output and it may beat it yet with @MrWalkman 's firmware

No doubts at all, as the likes of CN & E can be piercing at times on WM1A with highly resolving headgear.

ZX300 on E region is fine and has no such tendency.

Q-6

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #2,084 of 8,232
No doubts at all, as the likes of CN & E can be piercing at times on WM1A with highly resolving headgear.

ZX300 on E region is fine and has no such tendency.

Q-6
There are no sound signature changes between destination, other than CEW and CEW2 which are volume (and on some devices) pressure capped. All other destinations share the same tuning on respective devices. Everything else is the placebo effect.

If you want a decent destination setting, set E or E2, those are used (depending on the model) for the international/tourist/overseas versions sold in Japan, they will not sound any different from the J destination.

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #2,085 of 8,232
There are no sound signature changes between destination, other than CEW and CEW2 which are volume (and on some devices) pressure capped. All other destinations share the same tuning on respective devices. Everything else is the placebo effect.

If you want a decent destination setting, set E or E2, those are used (depending on the model) for the international/tourist/overseas versions sold in Japan, they will not sound any different from the J destination.
Hmmmm...If I do hear a difference, could it be that you are the placebo effect? One of the constant voices that affirm that their belief is the only real truth, and all others are following false idols?

This is very troublesome, if we are to deny what we hear. How will we know what is real and what is not, if we cannot believe what we observe/hear? How will we know that those claims of "placebo" are from the audio god, or the audio devil?

I am lost in the audio wilderness. Maybe I'll take up drinking, as the effect of strong alcohol cannot be denied. Though that also may be a placebo effect. Who knows what is real, and what is not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back