Sony Walkman NWZ-X1000 (UK out NOW, US version out mid-June)
May 5, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #361 of 422
Epic dynamics? Woooooooooooohoooooooooooo!!!!!

May 6, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #362 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dharma, walkingman and others wish for a form of lossless because they want a compresssed format. Uncompressed WAV files are to big and battery intensive. The Sony has no expansion and very good but not great battery life. 32GB and 33hours(based on MP3) battery life won't be quite good enough for many people around here to want to use WAV. They want smaller files that use less juice like FLAC etc.

Sure, i knew that... Maybe i'm just little more 'purist'

May 6, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #363 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's the irony ... if people hadn't complained so much about SonicStage (which wasn't bad after v2.1, and was stable 2.3 on), you'd have ATRAC lossless like they have on the Japanese model.

Maybe some firmware hack helps? Or is there different hardware inside?

May 6, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #364 of 422
pretty impressive ...
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #367 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone knows if the Japanese NW-X series support English?....

No they don't. There is some english, but some sub menus are in Japanese. Not to mention the 32 gig is 700.00 plus on ebay. Unless your going to Japan or know somebody
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #368 of 422
You can import from PriceJapan, the price has dropped like 5,000 yen since the release in Japan (the service fee is 4,000 yen w/o shipping). When the dollar gets stronger, it may turn out to be even cheaper than the models in the US, and with more functions, gapless + drag &drop
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #369 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can import from PriceJapan, the price has dropped like 5,000 yen since the release in Japan (the service fee is 4,000 yen w/o shipping). When the dollar gets stronger, it may turn out to be even cheaper than the models in the US, and with more functions, gapless + drag &drop
smily_headphones1.gif

Too bad no english language option
frown.gif
That why endgadet couldn't access some of the features.

May 8, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #370 of 422
Well, it's Sony... But I still don't get it. The NWZ model obviously supports Japanese but the NW does not support English?!

The good thing is I am learning Japanese
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #371 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, i knew that... Maybe i'm just little more 'purist'

LOL; seems a little self defeating to me. being that there is zero difference between them bar file size. but sure if youde rather have half the music/battery life; then go right ahead
jecklinsmile.gif

this thing is interesting, but they better be quick, because as has already been mentioned here; if they delay much longer they will lose much of their sales and interest because the new apple models will be out. really dumb sony

May 8, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #372 of 422
Regarding lossless, playing back in WAV format will not decrease the battery life. At least on some Sony models like the S639/S739. Sony quotes an audio playback time of 43 hours for WAV files versus 40 hours playing back 128kbps MP3 files.

In comparison, Atrac Lossless has a quote time of 34 hours, likely due to decompression.

May 12, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #373 of 422
Bump

UK pricing:

NWZ-X1050B.CE7 16GB £209 RRP
NWZ-X1060B.CE7 32GB £279 RRP

Price is comparable with the iPod Touch 2G

Will be available from tomorrow (13 May 2009) on the high street... (according to Pocket Lint)

Pre-order details on the front page

UK specs as follow:

The Stunning all new X series WALKMAN® boasts a 3-inch widescreen OLED touchscreen plus the dedicated music player buttons makes operation simple and intuitive while videos and digital photos stand out with incredible colours, contrast and super-quick response time. With open support for all popular music and video formats and Wi-Fi connectivity for Easy streaming of your favourite sites such as YouTube, Podcast direct downloading and internet browsing the X-series is everything you’d expect from a flagship WALKMAN®.

3.0” Wide OLED display

Digital Clear Audio Technologies with Sony's “S-master” digital amplifier, “Digital noise cancelling”, clear stereo, clear bass, DSEE, and EX headphones

Hybrid Operation: control your X series with both touch panel and buttons

Direct internet connectivity via WiFi, YouTube streaming, Podcasts direct downloading and website browsing

FM radio

Multi audio and video codec support: MP3, AAC, WMA(DRM), L-PCM, H264/AVC SP, MPEG4 SP, WMV(DRM)

supplied accessories: 13.5mm EX headphones, USB Cable, Audio In cables, connector for headphone usage in airplanes

May 12, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #374 of 422
I won't believe it's on the high street until I see it on the high steet.

Did Pocket Lint state who would be stocking it tomorrow?

EDIT: I see Play.com finally updated the release date to 31st May instead of 30th April!

May 12, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #375 of 422
They (and other sites like Trusted Review, The Register) did mention that it will be available from tomorrow. I'll go in and have a look just in case.

For what is worth, the last one hour has seen an explosion of news regarding the new Walkman from UK-based tech sites and mainstream media. It does seem more likely it will be out here tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back