Sony Walkman NWZ-X1000 (UK out NOW, US version out mid-June)
May 13, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #392 of 422
This player looks real nice, but if it doesn't support gapless playback, it will be useless to me. Hopefully, it will support it.

May 13, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #393 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by beeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmmm i don't see why you are buying the product if this is the case. Surely the major selling point is the noise cancellation (oh - and that its not an ipod!.)

Not for me; first priority is Sony SQ, I need the 32 GB memory, love the 33 hours battery and have always admired Sony build quality.

All the other things, NC, video capacity, wifi are extra's that I might use on occasion. F.i, I'll cary the supported headphones with me, and if I come in a situation where the Isolation of my IE8's are not enough, I'll switch to active NC.

May 13, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #394 of 422
Noise cancelling is about as important to me as FM radio. If it's there, fine, if it's not, I couldn't care less. NC is no good if the sound quality is inferior anyway.

May 13, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #395 of 422
Just because it is a feature does not necessarily mean it is a major selling point. Hell, I can think of a couple of people who just get this purely for Slacker as this is one of the few devices that supports the service. I also know of people who has Zune but never use WiFi, which is one of the main features MS touted about.

I have a 16GB S739 and it has build-in ANC. And yet it is cheaper than the equivalent iPod Nano. Even without using ANC (and I don't), it is already incredibly good value for money. ANC is just icing on the cake, about as important as FM radio as Soozieq mentioned.

Even Sony isn't treating this as a major feature. All I hear from them is about OLED, WiFi, SQ and usability.

May 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #396 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because it is a feature does not necessarily mean it is a major selling point. Hell, I can think of a couple of people who just get this purely for Slacker as this is one of the few devices that supports the service. I also know of people who has Zune but never use WiFi, which is one of the main features MS touted about.

I have a 16GB S739 and it has build-in ANC. And yet it is cheaper than the equivalent iPod Nano. Even without using ANC (and I don't), it is already incredibly good value for money. ANC is just icing on the cake, about as important as FM radio as Soozieq mentioned.

Even Sony isn't treating this as a major feature. All I hear from them is about OLED, WiFi, SQ and usability.

Is the UK model going to have Slacker? Oh ya, it's all about that wonderful sony sound and that beautiful screen and the glorious build quality. Could care less about NC and FM radio
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #397 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's only the supplied phones that work with it, then the technology is exactly the same as the NW-S700 series. That was billed as the world's 'first' dap with noise cancelling built into the circuitry, but the X-1000 is also being billed as the world's 'first'... and if the NC is reliant on the EX82, then it's not the world's 'first' anything. That would still belong to the S700. My guess is that cnet don't know what they're talking about
smily_headphones1.gif

"Sony’s X-series Walkman® is the industry’s first* VIDEO MP3 player to offer integrated digital noise canceling technology."
wink.gif

May 13, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #398 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the UK model going to have Slacker? Oh ya, it's all about that wonderful sony sound and that beautiful screen and the glorious build quality. Could care less about NC and FM radio
smily_headphones1.gif

Haven't heard anything that proves if it does or does not. The first we heard of the Slacker app was today... It would be great if we do, but I won't have any problems filling it up with my own music!
jecklinsmile.gif

May 13, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #399 of 422
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

The UK version will NOT have slacker. (or at least won't be able to access slacker) You cannot access slacker from any UK IP address due to a difference in the US and UK copyright law. The same is true for Pandora. Even Youtube music videos are restricted in the UK.

Also about the noise cancellation - you may get the player for the SQ and screen quality but i bet the noise cancellation is one of the main featues that drives the price up for this player. Also this is a headphone forum - you're talking about a device that locks you into a propriatary headphone. That dos'nt make sense to me at all.

May 13, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #400 of 422
Quote:

Also this is a headphone forum - you're talking about a device that locks you into a propriatary headphone. That dos'nt make sense to me at all.

What are you talking about? The X1000 features a 3.5mm headphone port allowing the use of any headphone with a 3.5mm jack.

May 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #401 of 422
Quote:

Also about the noise cancellation - you may get the player for the SQ and screen quality but i bet the noise cancellation is one of the main featues that drives the price up for this player. Also this is a headphone forum - you're talking about a device that locks you into a propriatary headphone. That dos'nt make sense to me at all.

Nah, the noise cancellation is the one feature most people won't give a rat about. Evidently, the price of the S730 is cheaper than the S630 in UK.

If you buy a Japanese model, however, the TV tuner is indeed one of the main feature that drives up the price yet no one outside Japan can use. Now that makes no sense. However, we'll get gapless playback...

May 13, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #402 of 422
Quote:

The UK version will NOT have slacker. (or at least won't be able to access slacker) You cannot access slacker from any UK IP address due to a difference in the US and UK copyright law. The same is true for Pandora. Even Youtube music videos are restricted in the UK.

What youtube music videos are restricted? And of course you can use any headphones with the x-1000 series
L3000.gif

I'll load the US firmware on my UK model (did it before
smily_headphones1.gif
)

May 13, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #403 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll load the US firmware on my UK model (did it before
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Are there benefits of installing the US firmware on your other Walkman (S639)?

May 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #404 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there benefits of installing the US firmware on your other Walkman (S639)?

did it on an a818, It had a firmware update that was supposed to help with some noise and I used the US version. I just wasn't thinking
ksc75smile.gif

Never tried it on s639, as far as I know there the same. Except for the freaky videos on the UK one. I would only try if if I couldn't get youtube content on the uk model.

May 13, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #405 of 422
What youtube music videos are restricted? And of course you can use any headphones with the x-1000 series
L3000.gif

here you go - read all about it
BBC NEWS | Technology | YouTube stands by UK video block

If you don't believe me about slacker please try and use it (if you live in the UK). You will not be able to. Changing your Firmware will NOT affect the fact that your Brittish IP address will prevent you from accessing slacker.

Many people will buy this player because Sony has conviniantly hidden the fact that noise cancellation will not work with other headphones. They have advertised this player as the "First of kind". This is false advertising and it is important that consumers know that they are being duped. BECAUSE IF you buy this for in built noise cancellation THEN you are tied to the stock earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back