Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 16, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #6,541 of 8,223
Firmware is completely stock and hasn't been modified. I'm starting to think perhaps closed-back headphones are not for me as this is the second pair of closed-backs I've tried from two different companies that my ears perceive as having the same problem.

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #6,542 of 8,223
Firmware is completely stock and hasn't been modified. I'm starting to think perhaps closed-back headphones are not for me as this is the second pair of closed-backs I've tried from two different companies that my ears perceive as having the same problem.

You need 200 hours at least of burn in with the WM1A so the sound will constantly be changing. I was still noticing changes up until about 600 hours but most of it happens in the first 200

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #6,543 of 8,223
You need 200 hours at least of burn in with the WM1A so the sound will constantly be changing. I was still noticing changes up until about 600 hours but most of it happens in the first 200
I keep hearing this from many people but I'm not sure if it's just ears playing tricks or if it's real (although I know Sony does recommend the 200 hour burn in).

I've burned in headphones and seen little to no change in sound signature, hence why I'm a bit hesitant to rely on burn in as something to be hopeful about with respect to acquiring the sound I want.

Jan 16, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #6,544 of 8,223
I keep hearing this from many people but I'm not sure if it's just ears playing tricks or if it's real (although I know Sony does recommend the 200 hour burn in).

I've burned in headphones and seen little to no change in sound signature, hence why I'm a bit hesitant to rely on burn in as something to be hopeful about with respect to acquiring the sound I want.
Believe me, the capacitors and transistors change and will continue to change. The first 100 hours are critical!

Headphones are a whole different story, and yes, it could be mental burn in. But the Sony players change with use!

Jan 16, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #6,545 of 8,223
I'll make my way through the 200 hour mark. I'm just having a hard time figuring out whether or not I like the Denon's or if I should sell them now and opt for something else.

I like the Sony and can be patient as the changes settle in, it's the headphone part in unison with the Sony that I'm having a hard time solidifying. Sell them now or wait until I get to the 200 hours and see if anything changes then? Or do I install the MrWalkman mods now and see if that makes any difference?

Decisions, decisions...

Jan 17, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #6,546 of 8,223
Until the arrival of the Z1R, I used my WM1A with WalkmanOne and the WM1Z signature.
After returning to the stock FW, I found that with the Z1R, I ultimately preferred the stock FW because it reproduces the mids better, whereas the Walkman signature WM1Z reinforces (from my point of view) the V signature of the DAP. However, even if the Z1R are exceptional headphones from all points of view, they lack a little density in the medium.

I also find that the MX3 region suits me better with the Z1R. However, using MX3 with the stock FW no longer allows me to use the remote.

Therefore, I was wondering why WalkmaOne did not offer a WM1A signature in addition to the WM1Z signature?

For A30/40/50 and ZX300 users, this would be an additional option.
For WM1A users, this would allow them to benefit from the other improvements provided by WalkmanOne, while maintaining a signature and tonal balance closer to WM1A.

I apologize in advance if my question has already been discussed or is silly.

Jan 17, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #6,547 of 8,223
Therefore, I was wondering why WalkmaOne did not offer a WM1A signature in addition to the WM1Z signature?

This will be available in a next update.

Jan 17, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #6,548 of 8,223
Jan 17, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #6,549 of 8,223
You are definitely great MrWalkman.
Thank you.

I appreciate the kind words.

I also think I can make it so we can have two sets of options (except the sound signature), that can be chosen with the Hold button, similar to how it works now with the Plus modes.

For example:
Set 1: Plus v2, MX3 region
Set 2: Plus v1, J region

Set 1 would be chosen by booting the player with the Hold button in the Down position, and Set 2 by booting the player with the Hold button in the Up position. Will see how it will work out in the end.

So, this is what I plan for the next update:
- More readable boot logs (preview)
- Additional regions
- Additional sound signatures (at least the WM1A one)
- Potential ability to have two sets of settings, using the Hold button (I could make it so we can choose if the Hold button toggles between the Plus modes or between the two sets of settings)
- Potential way of increasing the volume (software-based) which could help with some headphones that are harder to drive (needs more testing)
- Potential small improvement when it comes to how long it takes for the Walkman One firmware to boot up
- Maybe not needing external tunings, though I doubt it, will see

This update might take some time, so don't hold your breath waiting for it, especially as I'll have a job starting this month or the next.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #6,550 of 8,223
This update might take some time, so don't hold your breath waiting for it, especially as I'll have a job starting this month or the next.
It will be difficult not to hold our breath until the next FW. But no one could blame you for having a professional and personal life apart from non-Android Sony DAPs!

It will also be advisable that the next update remain simple to implement, otherwise, you would expose yourself to having to waste a lot of time in user support.

Jan 17, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #6,551 of 8,223
It will also be advisable that the next update remain simple to implement, otherwise, you would expose yourself to having to waste a lot of time in user support.

I always try to do that, as much as possible.

I was thinking of creating an offline HTML page where you can select your chosen settings, and then it would generate a "settings.txt" that one can place in the CFW folder.

I may also create some sort of PDF/HTML user manual, with images.

Jan 17, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #6,552 of 8,223
It will be difficult not to hold our breath until the next FW. But no one could blame you for having a professional and personal life apart from non-Android Sony DAPs!

I actually find the installation of Walkman one simple enough even for a first time user. Once you read all the features and instructions and follow them strictly, everything turns out easy. But if you miss a step, that’s when problems may arise. I always make it a point to thoroughly read through any new product or software before using it. Has saved me a lot of hassle in the past and even now.

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #6,553 of 8,223

I also think I can make it so we can have two sets of options (except the sound signature), that can be chosen with the Hold button, similar to how it works now with the Plus modes.

For example:

Set 1 would be chosen by booting the player with the Hold button in the Down position, and Set 2 by booting the player with the Hold button in the Up position. Will see how it will work out in the end.

- Additional regions
- Potential ability to have two sets of settings, using the Hold button (I could make it so we can choose if the Hold button toggles between the Plus modes or between the two sets of settings)
- Potential way of increasing the volume (software-based) which could help with some headphones that are harder to drive (needs more testing)
- Potential small improvement when it comes to how long it takes for the Walkman One firmware to boot up

I wish you that any your work brings you success and pleasure!

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #6,554 of 8,223

For example:

- Additional regions

The thought of having two different settings that could be switched with the hold button has me holding my breath already! That would be high end amazing!

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #6,555 of 8,223
Thank you for saving me from turning blue! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back