Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 9, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #6,511 of 8,230
Oh no, my 1Z has gone into a bootloop. I installed Walkman One about 3 weeks ago and done a couple of tweaks and all has been well. I went to power up and it immediately went into a bootloop before the create database started which would rule out corrupted files? I fear it is a hardware issue that may become a major issue as I have a custom firmware which would no doubt be an easy out for Sony.

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #6,512 of 8,230
Oh no, my 1Z has gone into a bootloop. I installed Walkman One about 3 weeks ago and done a couple of tweaks and all has been well. I went to power up and it immediately went into a bootloop before the create database started which would rule out corrupted files? I fear it is a hardware issue that may become a major issue as I have a custom firmware which would no doubt be an easy out for Sony.
Sounds like a software issue. DM @MrWalkman he might be able to help.

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #6,513 of 8,230
Sounds like a software issue. DM @MrWalkman he might be able to help.
Wake_up_neo.jpg

I've put out the bat signal, but a quick search has shown the rare case of a hardware issue with 1A/1Z - could I be that unlucky? Unless he has a utility that can interrupt the bootloop I might be in the poop as when I send it back and they see the orange logo during the bootloop that'll pretty much void my warranty 😵
and then, I will truly have a gold brick

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #6,514 of 8,230
I've put out the bat signal, but a quick search has shown the rare case of a hardware issue with 1A/1Z.
Hopefully it’s something our bro can solve!

Jan 10, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #6,515 of 8,230

I've put out the bat signal, but a quick search has shown the rare case of a hardware issue with 1A/1Z - could I be that unlucky? Unless he has a utility that can interrupt the bootloop I might be in the poop as when I send it back and they see the orange logo during the bootloop that'll pretty much void my warranty 😵
and then, I will truly have a gold brick
Mr.Walkman has "a bootloop fixer" and hopefully that will do. You've probably contacted him by now. He'll walk you through this! You'll be back soon!

Jan 10, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #6,516 of 8,230
Mr.Walkman has "a bootloop fixer" and hopefully that will do. You've probably contacted him by now. He'll walk you through this! You'll be back soon!
Thanks very much for giving me some hope, I've been preparing for the worst case scenario.

Jan 10, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #6,517 of 8,230
Mr Walkman to the rescue!
I think it may have been a typo in the script of a setting I had, but it brought a sudden revelation that I forgotten to install the actual tuning of the one I had selected in the settings file.
Nice to be back

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #6,518 of 8,230
Among other stuff, like new regions and sound signatures, this is more or less how the next boot logs will look like:

1641773688211.png

They'll be local HTML pages (that don't access/require internet), that can be opened in any internet browser. In this way they should be more readable, with more visible clues if something is not as it should be.

For each booting process, there'll be a separate boot log - this should help figuring out where to look when the player starts and you want to check if everything worked fine regarding the settings file. I'll probably make it so only the last 10 or 20 boot logs will be kept, for storage saving purposes, though they shouldn't get to more than a few kilobytes.
This looks very nice indeed! Really looking forward to this. Been on a reg.J journey lately and it really works so good with my out-door use! Something changes as soon as you step outside with the sound. Being in-doors in quiet surroundings, then reg.MX3, V2, dif. DAC works very well and are very audiophile. That on the other hand, does not work when I step out-side and on the way to work. So currently reg.J, V2, normal DAC is super! Can't wait to get my ears on J3!! :)

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #6,519 of 8,230
after a long time, i come back to check out whats up with the zx300 and wm1a, MAN, this things went from 11 to 15! downloaded walkman 1 for the zx300 and toyed around with the boot settings... MAN either sony hires you for the planning of the next players or you start doing some daps man, im BLOWN away

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #6,520 of 8,230
after a long time, i come back to check out whats up with the zx300 and wm1a, MAN, this things went from 11 to 15! downloaded walkman 1 for the zx300 and toyed around with the boot settings... MAN either sony hires you for the planning of the next players or you start doing some daps man, im BLOWN away

Do you like the sound?

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #6,522 of 8,230
Hello everyone, so I've been using Mr. Walkman's firmwares since I got my player in June of 2020 and now I am running into what appears to be a software issue that won't go away no matter how many times I restart or re-install officially licensed firmware. I'm not sure if anyone here has run into this issue but for several weeks now, my WM1A goes into random spastic cycles playing random songs, volume going up and down, database reloading and rarely the player will restart itself. The most common occurrence out of all of these is the player will begin playing a song that was paused all by itself and/or change the song to a random song on the player regardless if "randomize" is being used. The last custom firmware I was using was WM1A+ 2.0.

I've tried everything I know to "reset" the player to factory condition; from turning it off and back on, to restarting by holding down the power button, to backing up my music from the internal storage and reseting the player to factory condition. I of course reinstalled official firmware 3.02 to rule out any custom firmware being on there that could cause the problem. None of these attempts fixed it at all. Since I am considerably past the manufacturers warranty, I was really hoping, would anyone here possibly have any solutions that I may try to fix my player? I appreciate any and all responses!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #6,524 of 8,230
Hello everyone, so I've been using Mr. Walkman's firmwares since I got my player in June of 2020 and now I am running into what appears to be a software issue that won't go away no matter how many times I restart or re-install officially licensed firmware. I'm not sure if anyone here has run into this issue but for several weeks now, my WM1A goes into random spastic cycles playing random songs, volume going up and down, database reloading and rarely the player will restart itself. The most common occurrence out of all of these is the player will begin playing a song that was paused all by itself and/or change the song to a random song on the player regardless if "randomize" is being used. The last custom firmware I was using was WM1A+ 2.0.

I've tried everything I know to "reset" the player to factory condition; from turning it off and back on, to restarting by holding down the power button, to backing up my music from the internal storage and reseting the player to factory condition. I of course reinstalled official firmware 3.02 to rule out any custom firmware being on there that could cause the problem. None of these attempts fixed it at all. Since I am considerably past the manufacturers warranty, I was really hoping, would anyone here possibly have any solutions that I may try to fix my player? I appreciate any and all responses!
Hmmm... my nightmare... sorry to hear that. Have you tried to revert to Sony stock firmware (3.02)??? Ah..yes you already did... I don't think it is a firmware issue...All the best and please keep us in loop.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #6,525 of 8,230
Hi Guys,

so after listening with Midnight v2 for a few month, now I returned to the DMP-WM1 FE on my WM1A. Region is set to U, headphones are Sony MDR1AM2 .

I think, this is the firmware version I love most... Bass with U region is so incredible deep... just great . Once again thanks a lot Mr. Walkman 😀

Hey, maybe you would've liked the "Bright" sound signature of the Walkman One firmware, as it's derived/evolved from the DMP-WM1 series of previous firmware versions :)

It's entirely up to you, of course, I understand if you don't want to experiment.

I have the A45, A55, and WM1A, and I installed a ton of custom firmware and stock revert packages during testing, and they're working perfectly fine. I don't exactly see how the issue you're describing could be caused by firmware, to be honest.

When you use a stock revert package, the firmware will be 100% the stock one. There is no stuff like some part of the custom firmware still being left on the player. It's basically like when you format an USB stick and you put something else on it.

Someone sent me an additional Sony A45 player for free, which has a weird issue - the screen would be off, but it would randomly turn on from time to time, like I'm pressing the Power button, except I'm not. I plan on opening it up when I get some time, in order to take a closer look at the Power button, or even to put the board from the problematic A45 into the chassis of the other A45 I own (which works fine) - or maybe I could just disconnect the buttons side from the board, and see if the player is still acting up.

Hmmm... my nightmare... sorry to hear that. Have you tried to revert to Sony stock firmware (3.02)??? Ah..yes you already did... I don't think it is a firmware issue...All the best and please keep us in loop.

Unfortunately, I don't see how this could help. At it's core, the custom firmware is just the official firmware with some non-kernel modifications. In an operating system, the kernel basically sits/facilitates interactions between the software and the hardware. I didn't rebuild the kernel for the custom firmware or something (it's not really possible anyway, as the source code is missing some Mediatek proprietary code), so any hardware parameter is as Sony configured them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back