Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 15, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #6,182 of 8,232
It could be possible, but there's no point, as you also have to apply the corresponding external tuning after changing the sound signature.
And there’s also more than 2 sound signatures, so it wouldn’t be that practical either.

Oct 15, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #6,183 of 8,232
And there’s also more than 2 sound signatures, so it wouldn’t be that practical either.

Well, you could choose between 2 of them.

Oct 15, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #6,184 of 8,232
"And there’s also more than 2 sound signatures, so it wouldn’t be that practical either."

There are currently three boot modes: "Normal", "Plus v1", and "Plus v2" and most people seem to cope ok with that.
I just wanted to compare between two specific sound signatures. If it was possible, the choice of which two would have been selected in the settings file.

Oct 15, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #6,185 of 8,232
"And there’s also more than 2 sound signatures, so it wouldn’t be that practical either."

There are currently three boot modes: "Normal", "Plus v1", and "Plus v2" and most people seem to cope ok with that.
I just wanted to compare between two specific sound signatures. If it was possible, the choice of which two would have been selected in the settings file.
There’s actually normal and plus. Just that plus has 2 different versions. So technically it’s only 2 modes. And most people stay on the same plus version they chose throughout the different signatures. In any case the resulting sound signatures using the various parameters are endless. It’s always something different that you hear.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #6,186 of 8,232
Oct 15, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #6,187 of 8,232
"There’s actually normal and plus. Just that plus has 2 different versions. So technically it’s only 2 modes."

Ok, technically only 2 modes. although Mr Walkman's site says - three boot modes: "Normal", "Plus v1", and "Plus v2" (find settings for these in the settings file);
but three choices, two of which can be selected in the settings file.

"And most people stay on the same plus version they chose throughout the different signatures."
Which can be selected in the settings file, thus enabling the hold switch to be used for selecting something else.

Well, you could choose between 2 of them.
"Yeah but which 2? There’s 4 signatures. And each has their own characteristics."

Any two the user wanted to choose.
The point of my original question was to see if it was possible to be able to compare sound signatures without having to connect to a computer each time to change them. It isn't so my question has been answered.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #6,188 of 8,232
There’s actually normal and plus. Just that plus has 2 different versions. So technically it’s only 2 modes. And most people stay on the same plus version they chose throughout the different signatures.
"There’s actually normal and plus. Just that plus has 2 different versions. So technically it’s only 2 modes."

Ok, technically only 2 modes. although Mr Walkman's site says - three boot modes: "Normal", "Plus v1", and "Plus v2" (find settings for these in the settings file);
but three choices, two of which can be selected in the settings file.

"Yeah but which 2? There’s 4 signatures. And each has their own characteristics."

Any two the user wanted to choose.
The point of my original question was to see if it was possible to be able to compare sound signatures without having to connect to a computer each time to change them. It isn't so my question has been answered.
Ah, so you’re asking if it’s possible that the user defines which sound signatures are mapped to the hold button? That wouldn’t be possible without you having to change the code in the firmware each time you wanted to have a different signature mapped to it.

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #6,190 of 8,232
Since I'm mostly using my WM1A docked to my TA-ZH1es, I'm looking for remote which enable me to browse through my music and choose the one I want to play. The sony RMT-NWS20 is not capable to do this. I snag Sony BRH10 on ebay. While it showed up on my WM1A for audio pairing, I can't connect through it. When I tried to use the 'add remote control' function, it's unable to connect either. I understand this remote is not compatible with WM1A. Here's my stupid question, Can it be edited on WM1A firmware so we can use BRH10 remote using bluetooth connection? Thanks

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #6,191 of 8,232
This is just to note - with WalkmanOne the WMPort out works/doesn't work as follows:

A35: WM-> analogue out NO
WM-> digital out NO

A55: WM-> analogue out NO
WM-> digital out YES

Tested with Fiio Q1 mk2 with micro USB port

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #6,192 of 8,232
This is just to note - with WalkmanOne the WMPort out works/doesn't work as follows:

WM-> digital out NO

WM-> digital out YES

Yes the 1A/1Z don’t support analog line-out over the WM port and since WalkmaOne is based on this the same will apply to any device it get’s installed on. Does the A35 support digital out when on stock fw ?

Oct 16, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #6,193 of 8,232

WM-> digital out NO

WM-> digital out YES

Digital out seems a bit pointless to me anyway, as the sound signature doesn't get applied. If I had an A30 myself, maybe I could've tried making it work. I have the digital out adapter too.

On the A40 it works fine.

Line out would be something, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get it working in the future.

In the meantime I found a way to add more regions, like J1, J2, J3, for example, and more, for all devices - more options to choose from. They should be available in a next update - no ETA for now.

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #6,195 of 8,232
It's obvious that with digital out the tunings play no role - I just wanted to document the facts.

(IMO it's not worth to put any effort to try to enable it on the A30. If one seriously needs sound out the WM port, just use the original fw)
Digital out comes in handy when you want to connect the Walkman to a more capable amp/dac which supports full dsd input. It gives for a different sound experience as the Walkman only acts as a source an the sound from the external dac would then take centerstage. I used to use it previously with my Fiio K5 pro and it sounded pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back