Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 13, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #6,166 of 8,231
Mmmh...how can be possible that my 1770 pro sound MUCH,but much much better on unbalanced port against balanced?the sound is much more politely,better separation and the soundstage become more natural..mmm..

I had those headphones and they don't support a balanced cable. Did you mod them to have a 4-pin mini XLR instead of 3-pin, or are you using some kind of adapter from 4.4 balanced to 3.5 single-ended?

If it's an adapter, this might be why.

As far as I understand it none of the tunings and other sound features in the Walkman One fw has any effect what so ever over BT, only over the headphone out, so over BT every fw should sound the same with the same headphone. MrWalkman correct me if I’m wrong

That's right, audio effects are not working via BT.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #6,167 of 8,231
Mmmh...how can be possible that my 1770 pro sound MUCH,but much much better on unbalanced port against balanced?the sound is much more politely,better separation and the soundstage become more natural..mmm..
How do you manage to use them from the balanced port, I thought they were hard wired single ended ?

Oct 13, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #6,168 of 8,231
I had those headphones and they don't support a balanced cable. Did you mod them to have a 4-pin mini XLR instead of 3-pin, or are you using some kind of adapter from 4.4 balanced to 3.5 single-ended?

ohhh man, that's disappointing to realize :frowning2: I can only use my A55 via BT because the audio jack is broken lol. I have the gold player and it seems to be discontinued so I can't buy another in that color.

Maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me, but I did hear a difference after the firmware updates, and even switching between MX3 and TW (which most certainly caused distortion at high volume because of the increase in bass).

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #6,169 of 8,231

In this case, what audio settings/effects are at work when using BT? Is there a default? I did notice the difference using wired and BT.

Also, I was quite surprised the A45 did not automatically change to aptx HD codec. You have to manually change the codec on the unit for the earphones and unit to be in sync. Otherwise, it remains in LDAC.

Still, the fw has dramatically improved the SQ (on wired) and I'm grateful to Mrwalkman for the W1.

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #6,171 of 8,231
Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #6,172 of 8,231
If you ever get bored or need a little audiophile entertainment, then have a look through the page pages on the old Sony Walkman tread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-107
I’ll promise a few laughs will be found! Today we’re much wiser!
Having acquired both Z1R, the WM1A and TA-ZH1ES in the past 16 months and having read through all those threads the original 1A/1Z thread was an epic one with the most drama, eventually doing itself in.

Oct 15, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #6,173 of 8,231
Having acquired both Z1R, the WM1A and TA-ZH1ES in the past 16 months and having read through all those threads the original 1A/1Z thread was an epic one with the most drama, eventually doing itself in.
Drama, revelations, insights, discoveries, enlightenment. Whatever said and done, custom firmware would’ve never been possible without that thread. It holds a special place in all Walkman lovers minds and started a trend or rather a direction that changed the Walkman forever!

Oct 15, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #6,174 of 8,231
Drama, revelations, insights, discoveries, enlightenment. Whatever said and done, custom firmware would’ve never been possible without that thread. It holds a special place in all Walkman lovers minds and started a trend or rather a direction that changed the Walkman forever!
45,723 posts over 3049 pages!
Incredible, especially for a device that apparently measures very poorly according to one site :wink:
Unfortunately we sometimes don't all get along well, but it is a great record of the wealth of knowledge, experience, growth and evolution of the 1A and 1Z.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #6,176 of 8,231
Mr Walkman, thanks for all your hard work.
Would it be possible to have the hold switch choose between two sound signatures instead of normal, plus1 and plus 2?
It choses between normal and the plus mode you have indicated in the settings file

Oct 15, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #6,177 of 8,231
"It choses between normal and the plus mode you have indicated in the settings file"

Yes, I realise this. :relaxed: I was wondering if the hold switch could be 'programmed' to choose between the sound signatures ("Neutral", "Warm", "Bright", and the "WM1Z") at boot up instead of "Normal", "Plus v1", and "Plus v2".

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #6,178 of 8,231
"It choses between normal and the plus mode you have indicated in the settings file"

Yes, I realise this. :relaxed: I was wondering if the hold switch could be 'programmed' to choose between the sound signatures ("Neutral", "Warm", "Bright", and the "WM1Z") at boot up instead of "Normal", "Plus v1", and "Plus v2".
It can’t, as the player needs to restart after every signature change and besides the hold button is already functioning as a plus vs normal mode so we can’t have multiple functions in there. A quick change in the settings file and a restart will get you a different sound sig everytime.

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #6,179 of 8,231
I realise the hold switch can't have multiple functions which is why I wrote "instead of "Normal", "Plus v1", and "Plus v2". :relaxed:
I was just asking if was possible to have a choice of signatures at boot i.e. hold up = "Neutral" hold down = "WM1Z"
Obviously, in that case, "Normal", "Plus v1", and "Plus v2" would have to be selected in the settings file.
I'm happy with Plus V2 setting and wondered if I could compare the Neutral and W1MZ sound signatures without having to connect to a computer to change the settings file each time.

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #6,180 of 8,231
I realise the hold switch can't have multiple functions which is why I wrote "instead of "Normal", "Plus v1", and "Plus v2". :relaxed:
I was just asking if was possible to have a choice of signatures at boot i.e. hold up = "Neutral" hold down = "WM1Z"
Obviously, in that case, "Normal", "Plus v1", and "Plus v2" would have to be selected in the settings file.
I'm happy with Plus V2 setting and wondered if I could compare the Neutral and W1MZ sound signatures without having to connect to a computer to change the settings file each time.

It could be possible, but there's no point, as you also have to apply the corresponding external tuning after changing the sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back