Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 10, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #6,151 of 8,224
I am using Sony A55 and Etymotics ER2SE.
My taste is neutral vocal (not boosted), tight bass and easy-to-ear treb
Can anyone recommend what profile works best?
I don’t know how the etymotics sound, but based on your preference, you can try WM1Z sig, region on MX3, Plus v2 and DAC on normal mode.

Oct 10, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #6,152 of 8,224
Yay!
I don’t know how the etymotics sound, but based on your preference, you can try WM1Z sig, region on MX3, Plus v2 and DAC on normal mode.

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #6,154 of 8,224
Midnight v2 (for A40)

Based on the WM1A/Z firmware, with greatly improved sound quality!

• Your device configuration prior to installing this firmware will be backed up internally and
replaced. This means you'll notice different player options being set/audio played hours, which is normal.
• The device configuration will be restored when using the StockRevert package to how
it was before installing this firmware (including audio played hours).

As always, you'll have to revert back to stock before installing this.

Read more info and download this firmware here.
Hi MrWalkman. I can't seem to download the files from HERE. www.mrwalkman.ml is not loading and I'm just getting a THIS SITE CAN'T BE REACHED both on Chrome or Edge. And even the underlined READ MORE INFO is not clickable. Any other link for both? Thanks

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #6,155 of 8,224
Hi MrWalkman. I can't seem to download the files from HERE. www.mrwalkman.ml is not loading and I'm just getting a THIS SITE CAN'T BE REACHED both on Chrome or Edge. And even the underlined READ MORE INFO is not clickable. Any other link for both? Thanks

Check my signature or the first post of this thread.

www.nwmods.ml

Oct 11, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #6,159 of 8,224
And no matter how nervous I am whenever I do this sort of tinkering, MrWalkman makes it all a piece of cake!

Succesfully installed! Thank you again!

No problem.

Make sure you read the FAQ and/or the info files in the downloaded archive for info about switching the sound signature, and more :)

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #6,161 of 8,224
Anyone using a fdx1 or moondrop dusk? I’m still finding the wm1z to pair well with both. It’s seeming pretty universal.

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #6,162 of 8,224
I was looking for something similar too.
Yes, you can try the combination suggested by MrWalkman - "Try WM1Z, Plus v2 mode, DIM 0, MX3 region"
It gives accents in the low and high frequencies.
TW Region will give you the strongest bass available.

But with my set of headphones (mostly earbuds), I lacked the emotionality with female vocals. If you come to the same conclusion, I recommend trying the CEV region. There is everything you need and, in my opinion, it is the best addition to the WMZ tuning.
Really digging the WM1Z, Plus v2 mode, DIM 0, CEV region.

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #6,163 of 8,224
I'm super late, but Mr Walkman did it again! Thank you so much!

I did the install last night on my A55 with no problems (compared to my first time last month, using Midnight). I'm using Mr Walkman's recommendation of WM1Z with MX3 region, Plus v2 mode, DAC init 0. I tried other variations and Neutral/Warm but wasn't in the right frame of mind to have the patience to keep redownloading/resetting/testing/etc. hahaha... but I think I'm good where I'm at for now.

I also wanted to ask, who else is listening to A55 paired with WH-1000XM4 using the Oratory1990 EQ (2021 graphic EQ) to eq the headphones?

sidebar: ***I set up the eq in the A55 Walkman itself because luckily the parameters in graphic eq for that exactly matched how Sony's eq only goes by .5 steps (my apologies for the wording, I'm still new to describing this). I have the eq completely off in the Headphones Connect app when using the Walkman, of course; it's only for use with Apple Music/YouTube/games. I don't remember whose eq settings I'm using in there, but it might be SuperReview's... I also just attempted to adjust the eq in the app to get as close to the Oratory graphic EQ for the XM4s, but it's tricky. This is what I came up with:

400 = 0
1k = +1
2.5k = 5
6.3k = 0
16k = +1

Luckily, 1k and 16k in Headphones Connect matched evenly to the parameters in the EQ from Oratory. The others, I... well, I eyeballed it based on the look of the frequency response curve in the A55's EQ. Lol. again, my apologies if this isn't worded correctly, I hope you all understand what I'm getting at.***

---

TLDR: I'm just curious to know who else has this same exact setup as me (A55 EQ'd with 2021 Oratory1990 for the XM4) and what Walkman One tunings/settings you prefer.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #6,164 of 8,224
I'm super late, but Mr Walkman did it again! Thank you so much!

I did the install last night on my A55 with no problems (compared to my first time last month, using Midnight). I'm using Mr Walkman's recommendation of WM1Z with MX3 region, Plus v2 mode, DAC init 0. I tried other variations and Neutral/Warm but wasn't in the right frame of mind to have the patience to keep redownloading/resetting/testing/etc. hahaha... but I think I'm good where I'm at for now.

I also wanted to ask, who else is listening to A55 paired with WH-1000XM4 using the Oratory1990 EQ (2021 graphic EQ) to eq the headphones?

sidebar: ***I set up the eq in the A55 Walkman itself because luckily the parameters in graphic eq for that exactly matched how Sony's eq only goes by .5 steps (my apologies for the wording, I'm still new to describing this). I have the eq completely off in the Headphones Connect app when using the Walkman, of course; it's only for use with Apple Music/YouTube/games. I don't remember whose eq settings I'm using in there, but it might be SuperReview's... I also just attempted to adjust the eq in the app to get as close to the Oratory graphic EQ for the XM4s, but it's tricky. This is what I came up with:

400 = 0
1k = +1
2.5k = 5
6.3k = 0
16k = +1

Luckily, 1k and 16k in Headphones Connect matched evenly to the parameters in the EQ from Oratory. The others, I... well, I eyeballed it based on the look of the frequency response curve in the A55's EQ. Lol. again, my apologies if this isn't worded correctly, I hope you all understand what I'm getting at.***

---

TLDR: I'm just curious to know who else has this same exact setup as me (A55 EQ'd with 2021 Oratory1990 for the XM4) and what Walkman One tunings/settings you prefer.
As far as I understand it none of the tunings and other sound features in the Walkman One fw has any effect what so ever over BT, only over the headphone out, so over BT every fw should sound the same with the same headphone. MrWalkman correct me if I’m wrong

Oct 13, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #6,165 of 8,224
Mmmh...how can be possible that my 1770 pro sound MUCH,but much much better on unbalanced port against balanced?the sound is much more politely,better separation and the soundstage become more natural..mmm..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back