Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 4, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #5,536 of 8,231
In this case you need to use the StockRevert package for Project Z first.

You can find previous StockRevert packages for 1A/Z firmware, here.
Thanks for the kind response and step by step Assistance @MrWalkman. You rock. I have successfully got it.

Attachments

• 20210905_013016.jpg
    20210905_013016.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Sep 4, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #5,537 of 8,231
Midnight v2 (for A30)

Same as for the recent releases for A50 and A40 :)

Based on the WM1A/Z firmware, with greatly improved sound quality!

• Your device configuration prior to installing this firmware will be backed up internally and
replaced. This means you'll notice different player options being set/audio played hours, which is normal.
• The device configuration will be restored when using the StockRevert package to how
it was before installing this firmware (including audio played hours).

As always, you'll have to revert back to stock before installing this.

Read more info and download this firmware here.

Thanks for the kind response and step by step Assistance @MrWalkman. You rock. I have successfully got it.

Nice!

Sep 4, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #5,538 of 8,231
Neither am I, it’s a cold dead hands thing, but my ocd is bothered by it
One of two, the other being the R2R2K as both DAP's prioritise music over tricks & bells...
IMG_20201127_000040.jpg

Q-6

Sep 4, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #5,539 of 8,231
Midnight v2 (for A30)

Same as for the recent releases for A50 and A40 :)

Based on the WM1A/Z firmware, with greatly improved sound quality!

• Your device configuration prior to installing this firmware will be backed up internally and
replaced. This means you'll notice different player options being set/audio played hours, which is normal.
• The device configuration will be restored when using the StockRevert package to how
it was before installing this firmware (including audio played hours).

As always, you'll have to revert back to stock before installing this.

Read more info and download this firmware here.

Nice!

At the moment there is a little issue.

If you managed to install this, PM me.

Edit: Issue solved - redownload the firmware and have fun!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #5,540 of 8,231
Why'd you want to do that? Why are you even following that figure?
As I said it’s just an ocd thing, nothing that in any way is important

Sep 4, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #5,542 of 8,231
I lost touch screen, and i can't activate USB mass storage :frowning2:
How can I reinstall or revert to stock......

Yep, just PM me. Thanks.

Sep 4, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #5,543 of 8,231
For me the new Plus V2 is much better than the previous V1 and doesn’t take the 20-25% hit on the battery life eithe
Well it’s just a choice, maybe sound preference. Just as instructions say v2, has better battery life. But the stock 1A I have sounds fuller and warmer with v1. Anyone can simply roll back to v2 again if they don’t like it. The part with you is you have a 1A board in a 1Z, also your 1A board is not stock, so different results may be had? He has a stock 1A.

Sep 4, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #5,544 of 8,231
Well it’s just a choice, maybe sound preference. Just as instructions say v2, has better battery life. But the stock 1A I have sounds fuller and warmer with v1. Anyone can simply roll back to v2 again if they don’t like it. The part with you is you have a 1A board in a 1Z, also your 1A board is not stock, so different results may be had? He has a stock 1A.
Yes my unit is not typical as it is a fully modded unit.

After modding the only difference between a 1A and 1Z is the copper case and 128GB ram, the boards are otherwise identical.

And you don’t have to roll back to swap between the 2 Plus modes, you just change between 1 and 2 in the config file and reboot the player

Sep 4, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #5,545 of 8,231
Try v2 with Plus v2 and alternate DAC. When I did the testing for MrWalkman I posted this:

I'm lucky to have a 1A and a 1Z that allowed me to do direct comparisons. Both are Region J, Plus v2 and alternate DAC mode. Using the Solaris 2020, AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC tips and balanced DHC Clone Silver cable.

The sound is now the closest I have ever heard. But I can still hear differences.

The 1Z is more open and detailed versus the new version of Midnight for the 1A which has a touch more bass/warmth. The soundstage size is now very similar. I would say the 1Z is more resolving due to the hardware. But the 1A running this new version of Midnight is one amazing sounding DAP.

Sep 4, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #5,546 of 8,231
Right....just change the number in the CFW file. That’s what I meant, not putting the whole firmware in again, though that would work. So you have different wires that are better than Kimber 1Z wires, new capacitors and resistors. So it’s better than a stock 1Z.

That’s cool.

Sep 4, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #5,547 of 8,231
Try v2 with Plus v2 and alternate DAC. When I did the testing for MrWalkman I posted this:
What does alternate DAC do, MrWalkman never told me to change that when I do my side by side tests.

Just for clarification my 1A is in Midnight v2 Plus v1 mode. Direct.

That’s how I was going to do the side by sides?

Here is MrWalkmans instructions:

“So for a 1A/1Z comparison, install Midnight v2 (for 1A) on the 1A, and Midnight v2 on the 1Z. And yes, make sure that you're using the same region and other settings in the settings file, and same external tuning.

By the way, with Midnight v2 you can only change the region from the settings file. It's pretty easy, just put "REG=J" instead of "REG=MX3", for example, and then reboot the player.”

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #5,548 of 8,231
What does alternate DAC do, MrWalkman never told me to change that when I do my side by side tests.

Just for clarification my 1A is in Midnight v2 Plus v1 mode. Direct.

That’s how I was going to do the side by sides?

Here is MrWalkmans instructions:

“So for a 1A/1Z comparison, install Midnight v2 (for 1A) on the 1A, and Midnight v2 on the 1Z. And yes, make sure that you're using the same region and other settings in the settings file, and same external tuning.

By the way, with Midnight v2 you can only change the region from the settings file. It's pretty easy, just put "REG=J" instead of "REG=MX3", for example, and then reboot the player.”

I see the region is default to MX3, did you leave at that? @MrWalkman - was this region chosen as part of the tuning objective towards Midnight/1Z? Very handy to be able to change so easily now!

Sep 4, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #5,549 of 8,231
I see the region is default to MX3, did you leave at that? @MrWalkman - was this region chosen as part of the tuning objective towards Midnight/1Z? Very handy to be able to change so easily now!
Good question.

Yes, changing regions is easy now, also a new never before heard region!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back