Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 13, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #4,186 of 8,151
Feel that, as I also have an R2R player. My WM1A is now back to stock Sony 3.02 on region E, I'll give it some time for me to adjust then load FEv2 again. Dawn, Midnight & Project Z all have some reverb issues on Plus mode which I want to take advantage of with the increased power output.

Q-6
Yes there are 2x PCM1702 20-bit R2R Dac in this your DAP. Great DAP! Hifiman had also black version with PCM1704 which is 2001 Texas Instruments 24-bit DAC (Obsolete now).

On Classic reverb is better than on Plus.
Note: I dont listening metal and rock music - probably not very suitable for sony wm1.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #4,187 of 8,151
Yes there is 2x PCM1702 20-bit R2R Dac in this your DAP. Great DAP! Hifiman had also black version with PCM1704 which is 2001 Texas Instruments 24-bit DAC (Obsolete now).
I tried to pickup a Black R2R2K, however even as an expat in P.R. China the pricing for the few available is not good. With the Hifiman R2R2K you give up a tremendous amount of features and usability that's taken for granted on any modern player, equally if you listen to an R2R2K there will be no turning back...

Only other portable R2R solution is from Luxury & Precision passing $3K, which TBH is questionable for yet again a device with a limited feature set. The Red Hifiman R2R2K remains to be available and at reasonable pricing for those wiling to dig a little.

I find Rock & Metal is good on WM1A, just need to fine tune the CFW, region and headgear. There's just something off with some of the CFW as the male vocals tend to smear, coming across a being artificially stretched, however this seems more confined to 70's rock where the vocalist is very much designed to be upfront and centre with the music surrounding.

I believe it's an artefact of looking to present a more 3D, holographic experience, however this can and does break certain genres. Inversely Sony is deliberately overly conservative with WM1A as it wants to project the WM1Z as the better DAP. The 1Z is, yet the sum of it's parts don't add up as the reality is that the vast majority of the 1Z sound signature is in software not hardware, not that owning a WM1Z is not a bad experience by any means :)

Q-6

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #4,188 of 8,151
hi everyone, for a newbie (new owner of ZX300), should I go straight to the custom FW or play around with stock a bit?

Appreciate any impression or insight :)

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #4,189 of 8,151
I tried to pickup a Black R2R2K, however even as an expat in P.R. China the pricing for the few available is not good. With the Hifiman R2R2K you give up a tremendous amount of features and usability that's taken for granted on any modern player, equally if you listen to an R2R2K there will be no turning back...

Only other portable R2R solution is from Luxury & Precision passing $3K, which TBH is questionable for yet again a device with a limited feature set. The Red Hifiman R2R2K remains to be available and at reasonable pricing for those wiling to dig a little.

I find Rock & Metal is good on WM1A, just need to fine tune the CFW, region and headgear. There's just something off with some of the CFW as the male vocals tend to smear, coming across a being artificially stretched, however this seems more confined to 70's rock where the vocalist is very much designed to be upfront and centre with the music surrounding.

Q-6
I know it is off topic, but to me, for their size, R2R2k (black or red don't matter), they are truly a portable power-house. Their size and what they deliver is just unbelievable. It is a shame that HFM just decided to kill that line. What made me let go of my blac prince is HWA. I don't mind lack of gapless, but no LDAC Bluetooth, I just couldn't justify it.

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #4,191 of 8,151

Q-6
I dont recommand Black R2R2K - it has V-sound signature. It uses great PCM1704 but HW implementation is terrible, PCB layout is bad - no grounding planes, no separation, etc. Totaly overpriced. LP 6 TI is interesting but never heard one - for milioners.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #4,192 of 8,151
Anyone else on the fence regarding whether to pick one of these up now or to wait for the updated version? 5 years post-release is an awkward timeframe to buy a DAP.
If you have a lot of DSD files, WM1A/Z does wonders for DSD playback. I'm on the fence for WM1Z, I really want to buy one to get it modded. I have a feeling the next walkman will be more inline with ZX-500, WM1x will be one of the final DAP with the Walkman OS.

There is just to much demand for Andriod streaming app support, not to mention Roon support.

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #4,193 of 8,151
I know it is off topic, but to me, for their size, R2R2k (black or red don't matter), they are truly a portable power-house. Their size and what they deliver is just unbelievable. It is a shame that HFM just decided to kill that line. What made me let go of my blac prince is HWA. I don't mind lack of gapless, but no LDAC Bluetooth, I just couldn't justify it.
The line was killed because their R2R DACs chips (1998 - 2001 models) are obsolete and out of stock now. Marketing unfortunately wins over sound quality.

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #4,194 of 8,151

Setting aside the rudimentary UI, the weakness of R2R2K is battery runtime. Personally I picked up a small flat power-bank which resolved the issue while on the go. HFM moved to the HM1000 series of which I have zero interest as requires smartphone to control the player, nor is HFM noted for it's excellence in software development LOL.

I dont recommand Black R2R2K - it has V-sound signature. It uses great PCM1704 but HW implementation is terrible, PCB layout is bad - no grounding planes, no separation, etc. Totaly overpriced. LP 6 TI is interesting but never heard one - for milioners.

Agree the Red R2R2K is a good deal if you can source at the right price point, at full price no, let alone the Black model. LP6 Pro etc. are what they are with the one and only discrete R2R DAC in a portable, equally $3K+ buys a lot of gear...

The line was killed because their R2R DACs chips (1998 - 2001 models) are obsolete and out of stock now. Marketing unfortunately wins over sound quality.

Delta Sigma DAC's are simply easier for manufactures to deal with end of story, pity as once you hear R2R there's no coming back, but you know that already LOL...

Q-6

Mar 13, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #4,195 of 8,151
If you have a lot of DSD files, WM1A/Z does wonders for DSD playback. I'm on the fence for WM1Z, I really want to buy one to get it modded. I have a feeling the next walkman will be more inline with ZX-500, WM1x will be one of the final DAP with the Walkman OS.

There is just to much demand for Andriod streaming app support, not to mention Roon support.
Unfortunately, I mainly use streaming apps so having those would be awesome.
Out of curiosity, where do you guys get DSD files from and how expensive are they?

Mar 13, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #4,196 of 8,151

If you intended to do a hw mod like the Nayparm mod you would be better of doing it to a 1A. After the mod the only difference between a 1A and a 1Z is the copper case and the extra memory

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #4,197 of 8,151
I tried new Midnight (Classic and Plus) FW from MrWalkman with my sony WM1Z 3.02 on J Region. While sound is clean and full in upper midrange and highs, I heavily lack low midrange and midbass. It sound very unnatural with male vocal - very thin. Piano also sound thin and loose its body with this fw. Probably good combination for HD650 headphones with overboosted midbass as somebody mentioned in discussion, but not good for neutral headphones.

Subbass is perfect, but bass/low midrange is very light. I tried to boost EQ at 125, 250, 500Hz and it improved the body, but I dont like to use EQ in DAPs.
This is comparison to stock sony 3.02 fw - which sound signaure is not ideal too.

But Big thank to MrWalkman for his job with FW modifications of course.
Try Project Z Plus as I felt the same effects you described with Midnight Plus and went back immediately to previous one
Another guy did the same also : try it please
And yes : MrWalkman is a little genius yeah !

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #4,198 of 8,151
Quick question for anyone to answer regarding the regions. For anyone that doesn't mind.
I use an NW-A55 for my daily MP3, and I see a lot of talk about changing regions gets more power output or better sound quality? Is this true?

-How do I check my region, and what's the difference from region to region. Are they significantly noticeable when changed?

If so, is there a guide for me to go off of in order to change it?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #4,199 of 8,151
hi everyone, for a newbie (new owner of ZX300), should I go straight to the custom FW or play around with stock a bit?

Appreciate any impression or insight :)
Hi, my opinion is to use stock for a while, at least to go through the 200 hour burn-in process which will improve the sound overall as all the frequencies seem to balance out and enjoy your new device. After that you can experiment with the easy to install/easy to reverse firmware mods and enjoy the upgrade to the sound - it is like a free upgrade that can be enjoyed all the more coming from familiarity with the stock firmware. Also region change can give you an opportunity to find a base sound signature you prefer.

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #4,200 of 8,151
Quick question for anyone to answer regarding the regions. For anyone that doesn't mind.
I use an NW-A55 for my daily MP3, and I see a lot of talk about changing regions gets more power output or better sound quality? Is this true?

-How do I check my region, and what's the difference from region to region. Are they significantly noticeable when changed?

If so, is there a guide for me to go off of in order to change it?

Here u go, best guide on the net, credit to the writer who compiled the info:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/nbba...ion-firmware-guide-for-nbba/1357486074627941/

Technically, the Japan region version has no volume capping, which was placed on Europe version cause of their EU laws. So after I did change my version to Japanese region, yeah it got louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back