Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 5, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #4,143 of 8,223
From your description, I think I may prefer the A50.
From reading your posts, we have similar iems. I had the TFZ Exclusive 1 since 2017 and was using for a good 3 years. I loved that iem until it kinda broke so I got a used Tin Hifi T3 and the improvements are great, aside from the vocal sibilance and highs. The Starfield made me felt like a true upgrade and it's gonna be my go-to iems for a long time. From your listening preference, you can try take a look at the TFZ No.3 19th. I originally wanted to get that iem after my Exclusive 1 bit the dust but it was out of stock, so I happened to find a used Tin HiFi T3 shortly after.

In terms of the firmware, I was using the stock firmware for a good 1 week and it was already dynamic and fun to listen to with the songs that I have with me. (Kpop, J-rock, Jazz, Orchestra, Video game soundtracks, and Ballads). After applying the FEv2 firmware, it obviously improves but also gives you the option personally to choose which one suits you. My advice is to just stick to FEv2 (Classic) first and enjoy it. It's where all of us started from after all. Not everyone's gonna enjoy the (Plus) mode and it comes down to preference. The Starfield just happens to make full use of the (Plus) mod from my end with the songs that I'm listening to, so your listening experience may be different from mine.

Once you have your A55, take your time and listen to it. Don't rush yourself into it and enjoy. =)

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #4,144 of 8,223
Makes me wonder if SONY'S 1000X Noise cancelling headphone able to do Custom firmware too.🤣

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #4,145 of 8,223
From reading your posts, we have similar iems. I had the TFZ Exclusive 1 since 2017 and was using for a good 3 years. I loved that iem until it kinda broke so I got a used Tin Hifi T3 and the improvements are great, aside from the vocal sibilance and highs. The Starfield made me felt like a true upgrade and it's gonna be my go-to iems for a long time. From your listening preference, you can try take a look at the TFZ No.3 19th. I originally wanted to get that iem after my Exclusive 1 bit the dust but it was out of stock, so I happened to find a used Tin HiFi T3 shortly after.

In terms of the firmware, I was using the stock firmware for a good 1 week and it was already dynamic and fun to listen to with the songs that I have with me. (Kpop, J-rock, Jazz, Orchestra, Video game soundtracks, and Ballads). After applying the FEv2 firmware, it obviously improves but also gives you the option personally to choose which one suits you. My advice is to just stick to FEv2 (Classic) first and enjoy it. It's where all of us started from after all. Not everyone's gonna enjoy the (Plus) mode and it comes down to preference. The Starfield just happens to make full use of the (Plus) mod from my end with the songs that I'm listening to, so your listening experience may be different from mine.

Once you have your A55, take your time and listen to it. Don't rush yourself into it and enjoy. =)
Like you I also liked the TFZ exclusives until I got the CCA-C12 with upgraded cable which I prefer, and now are my go to iems. I've seen a few people mention the Starfield. When I feel the urge to buy another iem or if a good deal presents itself I'll consider them. However right now, I'm pretty satisfied with the C12.......it sounds good for the music I like and fits good, as well (a good fit is important to me especially since I will be using them on-the-go).

Your recommendation to listen to A55 without mods for awhile is good advise. Once I get used to it, I'll try the mods, probably starting with FEv2.

Mar 6, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #4,146 of 8,223
Like you I also liked the TFZ exclusives until I got the CCA-C12 with upgraded cable which I prefer, and now are my go to iems. I've seen a few people mention the Starfield. When I feel the urge to buy another iem or if a good deal presents itself I'll consider them. However right now, I'm pretty satisfied with the C12.......it sounds good for the music I like and fits good, as well (a good fit is important to me especially since I will be using them on-the-go).

Your recommendation to listen to A55 without mods for awhile is good advise. Once I get used to it, I'll try the mods, probably starting with FEv2.
The Starfield may not be for everyone because of how neutral it is but it grew on me pretty quickly. The fitting takes a while to get used to and the foam tips are the only tips suitable for me when using the Starfield, so it's highly advisable for you to go into an audio store to try the Starfield out if the fitting suits you. That's good to know! Stick to the ones that suits you and don't rush on any future purchases.

Enjoy them and we'll look forward to your impressions once the A55 is in your hands!

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #4,148 of 8,223
A simple question.The Mr.Walkman firmware on both my WM1a & WM1z is DMP - WM1FE. Is it worth me changing to Midnight,Plus? I do like a warmer fuller presentation. Any comparisons would be much appreciated.Many thanks.
If you like a warmer, fuller and more analogue sound, I 100% recommend midnight classic/plus.

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #4,149 of 8,223
As an A-45 user I definitely prefer the first DMP-A40 mod we had. The sound is more balanced than the FEv2 or Project Z versions imo especially when using the DSD/Clear audio.
Anyone else agree?
Just a great pity we lose the radio. Here's hoping for a future mod. Love Mr Walkman's work though.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #4,151 of 8,223
The Starfield may not be for everyone because of how neutral it is but it grew on me pretty quickly. The fitting takes a while to get used to and the foam tips are the only tips suitable for me when using the Starfield, so it's highly advisable for you to go into an audio store to try the Starfield out if the fitting suits you. That's good to know! Stick to the ones that suits you and don't rush on any future purchases.

Enjoy them and we'll look forward to your impressions once the A55 is in your hands!
As I get older, I find that I'm showing more restraint in making purchases.

It may take awhile, but I'll see what I can do about posting my impressions.

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #4,152 of 8,223
As an A-45 user I definitely prefer the first DMP-A40 mod we had. The sound is more balanced than the FEv2 or Project Z versions imo especially when using the DSD/Clear audio.
Anyone else agree?
Just a great pity we lose the radio. Here's hoping for a future mod. Love Mr Walkman's work though.
ClearAudio absolutely over blows the sound to me, making it anything but balanced, but - you are different to me, so it’s good to have choices :)

I am really happy with my Midnight Plus sound still on the 1A, so analogue - funnily, the tuned A55 has a place too, the fact that you can use its line out means that that is fantastic for more energetic music - it’s a great time to have choices!

Mar 7, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #4,153 of 8,223
A simple question.The Mr.Walkman firmware on both my WM1a & WM1z is DMP - WM1FE. Is it worth me changing to Midnight,Plus? I do like a warmer fuller presentation. Any comparisons would be much appreciated.Many thanks.
Hmm, why not try it out? It probably won’t take a few minutes to switch between firmwares, as I did several times in the past couple of days :) Midnight is definitely warmer and fuller; every note seems to punch harder esp. in Plus mode. On that note, I do find Dawn (i.e. the new FEv2) to be slightly more coherent and therefore more musical at times, but tbh I’m now having difficulty settling on one esp since the new Midnight resolved some issues I used to have on Project Z (I’m currently enjoying Midnight Classic).

TL;DR Both new firmwares are fantastic!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #4,154 of 8,223
ClearAudio absolutely over blows the sound to me, making it anything but balanced, but - you are different to me, so it’s good to have choices :)

I am really happy with my Midnight Plus sound still on the 1A, so analogue - funnily, the tuned A55 has a place too, the fact that you can use its line out means that that is fantastic for more energetic music - it’s a great time to have choices!
You're actually agreeing with me .The Clear Audio does exactly what you say on the Project z and the FEv2.The original DMP-40 mod is not so and does sound more balanced on the A-45 with my ear/headphones..
I also agree its great to have choices.The FEv2 is a little too excitable for me and Project Z a little too dark. Ive just come across a right fussy arse.:darthsmile:

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #4,155 of 8,223

unifutomaki: I will be less fearful now that I read your comment.​

Redcarmoose: I guess that I will have to spend some time listening to each mod before deciding which I prefer.......not a few seconds like I originally thought.​

Yeah...I agree with your second response to Redcarmoose...a few weeks ago I posted not liking Midnight vs FE2+. But over a week or two, I like Midnight alot more, and find it a bit closer to FE2+ than I thought with slight differences between the two tonality wise. I guess it takes time in all these things. I think the gamechanger with FE2+ among the previous mods was that it was the first, to me, that has a sense of a live, crisp, detailed and "in the room' presence about it that made me stop in my tracks. Finally letting me listen to my music without thinking about other crap and forgetting the world around me--and not nitpicking the 1A's sound compared to newer DAPs. Its a rare feat, because I was about to sell my 1a and upgrade. Since FE2+, its been 'too the moon' with all these latest Mr. Walkman sound flavors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back