Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 4, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #4,111 of 8,232
Yes I applied J off and then checked with dest_tool get.
Not much you can do, outside of a restart. WM1A/Z has limitations, however vast majority of IEM's are not an issue over the 4.4 balanced port.

Q-6

Mar 4, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #4,113 of 8,232
As a reference, my Audeze lcd2 classic in balanced and high gain lack power and dynamics in any case with my zx300, but about 100-110 the volume is high, no doubt.
Talking about iems in high gain the Sennheiser IE800 in SE could be more demanding but with 80 db they sound loud and at 100 they are really loud. Flare 2hd were maybe more comfortable at that volume, and in my experience they were a very demanding iem in terms of power.
Campfire Vega and Atlas are very loud at 90 in SE and 80 in balanced. Always high gain. Their ideal volume for me at home is between 65 and 80 in balanced and high gain (a little bit less with the Atlas).
Everyone in my environment says that i listen to music too loud. So yes, even considering that the lack of power is historically problematic with all Sony daps ( my sony a17 is ridiculous), your case sounds bizarre unless you hear music at deafening levels. There must be something we're not considering finding the answer.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #4,114 of 8,232
Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the wall part 2 - Blon BL 03 - DSD128 file (vinyl rip) - volume set to 100/120 (HG off), 80/120 (HG on), both with EQ
Isn't the default gain for DSD file set at -3dB when converted to PCM ?
Is DSD128 native on WM1A ? If not it is converted to PCM and -3dB is applied but can be changed in settings.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #4,115 of 8,232
Is DSD128 native on WM1A ? If not it is converted to PCM and -3dB is applied but can be changed in settings.
DSD native all the way to DSD256 😊

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #4,116 of 8,232
Dsd is native on balanced with stock fw and also on single ended with MrWalkman fw

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #4,117 of 8,232
DSD usually sounds much quieter compared to FLAC and others. However, it is also possible you may have problems with your hearing. Just do a quick hearing test on YouTube, see what’s your hearing range. That may eliminate whether or not if it’s your hearing problem that cause the need for high volume

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #4,118 of 8,232
Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the wall part 2 - Blon BL 03 - DSD128 file (vinyl rip) - volume set to 100/120 (HG off), 80/120 (HG on), both with EQ
Same track as Flac 24/96 (vinyl rip) volume 50 on low gain. Solaris 2020 Clone silver balanced.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #4,119 of 8,232
My NW-A55 is due to arrive Tuesday. Was wondering if I could get some help concerning MrWalkman's mods:
1. Of the 2 available, the A50Z and the DMP-A50 FEv2, who prefers the former and who prefers the latter?
2. For mp3's, do the mods make a difference?
3. If they are an improvement, does one or the other mod do a better job with mp3?

Thanks

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #4,120 of 8,232
My NW-A55 is due to arrive Tuesday. Was wondering if I could get some help concerning MrWalkman's mods:
1. Of the 2 available, the A50Z and the DMP-A50 FEv2, who prefers the former and who prefers the latter?
2. For mp3's, do the mods make a difference?
3. If they are an improvement, does one or the other mod do a better job with mp3?

Thanks
I'm not an expert, but i'll try to help from my experience.

1) It will depend on your headphones. Choosing between both means choosing different tunings, so if you have warmer headphones probably FEv2 will compensate better and if they are more neutral probably again the Z will give you a little more warmth to your music. Is that what you want? That's why i say probably, because you'll have to try both and see which is your preference. Analytic headphones + analytic tuning and warm headphones + warm tuning could be too much of the same proposal in both cases, but this hobby is very dependent in synergies and personal tastes, and in many ocassions i've found big surprises with what i predicted as a bad synergy. In conclusion, there's no better tuning between both. Simply two options to choose in relation with your equipment.

2 &3 ) Apart from all the software improvements, this firmwares change the sound signature of your Dap. That means that it will change the soundstage, the detail, bass, mids or highs rendition, independently on what kind of files you use. Maybe i could imagine that badly ripped mp3's could suffer more with the FEv2 having the strongest tendency so show detail, but a dirty bloated bass will be dirtier with the Z, so, again, you should try both (in fact, a bad recording will sound bad, probably worse, also in DSD format). In any case, to my ears is really difficult to discern in a blind test a well ripped 320 mp3 from a flac, for sure not with a portable source in public spaces: the difference is not so big about the format as it is about the quality of the production and the quality of the conversion of the files. So i stay with the answer with point one. What headphones do you use? And how do they behave with each firmware?

Hope it helps, maybe someone with more knowledgement can correct me.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #4,121 of 8,232
I'm not an expert, but i'll try to help from my experience.

1) It will depend on your headphones. Choosing between both means choosing different tunings, so if you have warmer headphones probably FEv2 will compensate better and if they are more neutral probably again the Z will give you a little more warmth to your music. Is that what you want? That's why i say probably, because you'll have to try both and see which is your preference. Analytic headphones + analytic tuning and warm headphones + warm tuning could be too much of the same proposal in both cases, but this hobby is very dependent in synergies and personal tastes, and in many ocassions i've found big surprises with what i predicted as a bad synergy. In conclusion, there's no better tuning between both. Simply two options to choose in relation with your equipment.

2 &3 ) Apart from all the software improvements, this firmwares change the sound signature of your Dap. That means that it will change the soundstage, the detail, bass, mids or highs rendition, independently on what kind of files you use. Maybe i could imagine that badly ripped mp3's could suffer more with the FEv2 having the strongest tendency so show detail, but a dirty bloated bass will be dirtier with the Z, so, again, you should try both (in fact, a bad recording will sound bad, probably worse, also in DSD format). In any case, to my ears is really difficult to discern in a blind test a well ripped 320 mp3 from a flac, for sure not with a portable source in public spaces: the difference is not so big about the format as it is about the quality of the production and the quality of the conversion of the files. So i stay with the answer with point one. What headphones do you use? And how do they behave with each firmware?

Hope it helps, maybe someone with more knowledgement can correct me.
Thanks for your input. Much of what you said was informative and made a lot of sense. Your bottom line advice (for which mod is better) seemed to be to audition both mods since everyone has their own personal taste. That advice was not unexpected, even though I had hoped that there was an easier way. I have had no experience with mods, (unless firmware is considered a mod), so I am somewhat hesitant to make internal changes to my newly purchased player in the fear that something will go wrong, messing it up. If I have to uninstall one mod to install another that just multiplies the fear of wrecking the player. Additionally, unless the difference between the mods is substantial, it may be difficult for me to distinguish which is better, especially since listening to one, uninstalling it, and the installing the second mod takes time. By the time I listen to the second mod, I could, very well, have forgotten how the first one sounded. But, I guess, if that's the case. maybe it's because the difference is so subtle that it won't make any difference which I choose. Anyway, maybe someone else will respond with their point of view.

Some info on how this player will be used: I will use iems (I generally prefer V shape) exclusively and listen to music while engaged usually in an outdoor activity (cycling, skiing, running). The only exception might be using it in a car. It will not be used for critical listening enjoying music indoors. Based on this some may question why I even need a mod. My answer would be that even though I'm not being lost in my music, savoring each and every note, I still want it to sound as best as it can to me. Would any of this shed more light on recommending one mod over the other?

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #4,122 of 8,232
Thanks for your input. Much of what you said was informative and made a lot of sense. Your bottom line advice (for which mod is better) seemed to be to audition both mods since everyone has their own personal taste. That advice was not unexpected, even though I had hoped that there was an easier way. I have had no experience with mods, (unless firmware is considered a mod), so I am somewhat hesitant to make internal changes to my newly purchased player in the fear that something will go wrong, messing it up. If I have to uninstall one mod to install another that just multiplies the fear of wrecking the player. Additionally, unless the difference between the mods is substantial, it may be difficult for me to distinguish which is better, especially since listening to one, uninstalling it, and the installing the second mod takes time. By the time I listen to the second mod, I could, very well, have forgotten how the first one sounded. But, I guess, if that's the case. maybe it's because the difference is so subtle that it won't make any difference which I choose. Anyway, maybe someone else will respond with their point of view.

Some info on how this player will be used: I will use iems (I generally prefer V shape) exclusively and listen to music while engaged usually in an outdoor activity (cycling, skiing, running). The only exception might be using it in a car. It will not be used for critical listening enjoying music indoors. Based on this some may question why I even need a mod. My answer would be that even though I'm not being lost in my music, savoring each and every note, I still want it to sound as best as it can to me. Would any of this shed more light on recommending one mod over the other?
Frankly it is difficult to imagine how something could go wrong. Applying these mods to the Walkman is much easier, by far, than trying to install a custom ROM on an Android phone. The mod is applied by an installer that works exactly like how an official Sony firmware installer would work. If your player is not in the appropriate state to apply the mod (for example, if you attempt to install A50Z after installing FEv2 without having first reverted back to the stock firmware using the included program), the installer will not proceed. If you read the instructions conscientiously, you should be fine.

Mar 4, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #4,123 of 8,232

You will know....it should be a question of personal involvement. Meaning that one will start to charm you. Vocals will to be heard in a more natural way, or something? You will know, but many times it is transient thing. Where you may like a different sound even after one evening.

It is not true about sound being not memorable. You will start to remember.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #4,125 of 8,232

unifutomaki: I will be less fearful now that I read your comment.​

Redcarmoose: I guess that I will have to spend some time listening to each mod before deciding which I prefer.......not a few seconds like I originally thought.​

And you may like others later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back