Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 9, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #3,678 of 8,287
For instrumental and orchestral music, i usually use vinyl processor set to standard and phase linearizer on type A low with DSEE ai turned on all the time. This adds to the already analogue and warm flavor of project z. Makes it just so natural and vinyl like.
Interesting, lot of my albums are vinyl so FEv2 Plus tends to be my go to CFW. Anything with the 1Z profile tends to screw with the staging, with some artists the vocals come across as being smeared/stretched across the

TBH I just think it's more related to me as I don't overly care for the stock WM1Z sound either, finding it overly coloured & processed. The DMP-Z1 profile I find is more accurate, includes the Sony House sound that we all love :)

Q-6

Feb 9, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #3,679 of 8,287
Interesting, lot of my albums are vinyl so FEv2 Plus tends to be my go to CFW. Anything with the 1Z profile tends to screw with the staging, with some artists the vocals come across as being smeared/stretched across the

TBH I just think it's more related to me as I don't overly care for the stock WM1Z sound either, finding it overly coloured & processed. The DMP-Z1 profile I find is more accurate, includes the Sony House sound that we all love :)

Q-6
Yeah perhaps. As I always prefer my sound to lean towards the warmer side. I don’t mind sacrificing a little detail for that anytime.

Feb 9, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #3,680 of 8,287
Yeah perhaps. As I always prefer my sound to lean towards the warmer side. I don’t mind sacrificing a little detail for that anytime.
Not so much detail with me more staging can sound off with the WM1Z profile. The DMP-Z1 profile retains the warmer Sony House sound without the smearing of the vocals. I found that the 1Z profile to me tends to smear the vocals across the sound stage of some albums, Thin Lizzy being a prime example. Phil Lynott sounds off, vocals were thin in the centre stage with 1A on Chameleon 2.0. Not all mind as EDM, ambient etc. sounded spectacular on that CFW.

Same I far prefer warmer sources, equally I don't want too much colouration or expansion of the staging as that can detract from the original intention of the artist.

Q-6

Feb 10, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #3,681 of 8,287
Not so much detail with me more staging can sound off with the WM1Z profile. The DMP-Z1 profile retains the warmer Sony House sound without the smearing of the vocals. I found that the 1Z profile to me tends to smear the vocals across the sound stage of some albums, Thin Lizzy being a prime example. Phil Lynott sounds off, vocals were thin in the centre stage with 1A on Chameleon 2.0. Not all mind as EDM, ambient etc. sounded spectacular on that CFW.

Same I far prefer warmer sources, equally I don't want too much colouration or expansion of the staging as that can detract from the original intention of the artist.

Q-6
Very true. I listen to mostly vocal jazz and instrumental and orchestral. Project z has been wonderful so far. I also loved FEv2 plus but my new favorite is project z plus.

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #3,682 of 8,287
I’m very much in the Project Z camp, my dad died just over three weeks ago, so I’ve been doing a fair bit of reminiscing (it was him that got me into gear that was better than mainstream, but in the last few years of his life he ended up deaf in all but name, so he could never hear my various setups which has forever saddened me) - with a lot of music that he loved, lots of Roy Orbison, Eagles, Pink Floyd, 70’s Disco etc…

anyway, with moderately warm IEMs and Z, volume cranked all the way up (105, high gain) right now listening to Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here - there is so much warmth (which suits older
/ vinyl music down to the ground!), taut slam, great control, spaciousness to the sound, it almost brings a tear to my eye, knowing how much my dad would have loved to hear this how I am hearing it right now.

it might sound chintzy or smarmy, but to bring this level of happiness to me, @MrWalkman has gained my eternal respect for his craft when it has come to uplifting these Sony players - as have all of the pioneers of manipulating tuning / firmware.

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #3,683 of 8,287
Well, i'm talking in terms of the bit rate. All my music is converted to DSD 2.8. ( Yes, some people would scorn me ! ) but for some reason the resolution goes to another level. On the DMP-Z1 thread every owner has said it's another level, so i'm assuming this sound is being reproduced, or @MrWalkman has some magic powers ?? ( I did just check sound settings & it's on Direct Source, which i haven't changed. ) I think if you're listening to DSD you can't actually change the sound settings ??
All i know since downloading the firmware, the quality of the whole sound spectrum has gone to a level i have never heard before & this is replicated listening via speakers, hence my comparison to listening to 5.1 multi channel discs.
Are you convert the 16,44.1 to DSD64 by using PC software like AudoGate? I think it may not be as good as the DSD Remastering in DMP-Z1.

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #3,684 of 8,287
Very true. I listen to mostly vocal jazz and instrumental and orchestral. Project z has been wonderful so far. I also loved FEv2 plus but my new favorite is project z plus.
Big variety of genres here which also leans towards FEv2, might give Project Z ago. Just had no luck with the 1Z tuning as sooner or later always come across albums that are spatially off. I think it's simply related to the mastering style of the day and

I don't see it as a flaw in the excellent CFW that @MrWalkman and the review team produce, more a personal preference. The likes of Duffrey, Shpongle, John Digweed, Special Request all sound epic with a touch of WM1Z in the mix :sunglasses:

Naturally without music it's all just words:1969 - Santana
600x600bb.jpg
Never ages, you just dissolve into the the album as it flows...

Q-6

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #3,685 of 8,287

Q-6
Is FEv2 Plus the best to you so far?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #3,686 of 8,287
My thoughts on this is that one shouldn't install FEv2 or Project Z based on someone else's thoughts of what's best for them.

Project Z brings a different presentation and soundstage, so it would be better to give a try to them both.

I think that the ideal way would be to spend some time (maybe 30 minutes/1 hour of listening) with one of the firmwares, and then install the other one right after. In this way, the difference should be more noticeable and it should help you decide which one you like most.

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #3,687 of 8,287
There’s a huge difference when using plus on the 1Z. There’s so much more clarity to the flute players I can truly hear them breathing and listening to Santana’s Game Of Love and hearing that instrument separation is amazing!! WOW!!

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #3,688 of 8,287
I wonder, with all the latest mega updates, I wonder where our 1A and 1Z's all rank among the DAP tiers? I have been thinking about that lately...but I haven't tried any of the latest AKs, Hibys, Lotoos, Ibassos, Fiio etc. to know. What do some of you guys think?
At entry- or mid-tier level, I compared Project Z mod on my ZX300 vs stock iBasso DX160. DX160 still better - soundstage, imaging & clarity. But it's a big step up, I must admit.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #3,689 of 8,287
Are you convert the 16,44.1 to DSD64 by using PC software like AudoGate? I think it may not be as good as the DSD Remastering in DMP-Z1.

I always use JRiver & always enjoyed what i hear. Unfortunately, i don't ever see myself buying a DMP-Z1, now, but @MrWalkman came along & gave me ( & all of us. ) that DMP-Z1 / 1Z sound.

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #3,690 of 8,287
I’m very much in the Project Z camp, my dad died just over three weeks ago, so I’ve been doing a fair bit of reminiscing (it was him that got me into gear that was better than mainstream, but in the last few years of his life he ended up deaf in all but name, so he could never hear my various setups which has forever saddened me) - with a lot of music that he loved, lots of Roy Orbison, Eagles, Pink Floyd, 70’s Disco etc…

anyway, with moderately warm IEMs and Z, volume cranked all the way up (105, high gain) right now listening to Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here - there is so much warmth (which suits older
/ vinyl music down to the ground!), taut slam, great control, spaciousness to the sound, it almost brings a tear to my eye, knowing how much my dad would have loved to hear this how I am hearing it right now.

it might sound chintzy or smarmy, but to bring this level of happiness to me, @MrWalkman has gained my eternal respect for his craft when it has come to uplifting these Sony players - as have all of the pioneers of manipulating tuning / firmware.

Sorry for your loss & hope you can find some comfort....it appears you can ? ( Early days. ) I've smiled everyday with joy, listening to Project Z Plus & so thankful that there's clever guys like @MrWalkman & others on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back