Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 23, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #3,137 of 8,231
You mean you restarted with putting the button in the up position I presume. Otherwise you won’t get the plus version. Just remember leave it down or hold off for classic and push it up or hold on (with the yellow hold icon on your screen) for plus and restart.
Yes, will keep it in mind, thanks for your reminder.

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #3,139 of 8,231
FE+ is definitely cleaner sounding - it is funny how every iteration is better than the last.

With all the horrendous times over the past few months, this journey has kept me owning a shred of sanity.

it’s certain that I wouldn’t have added as many hours as I have to the play time (still annoys me that Bluetooth playback doesn’t count - would easily double this) without the tireless work of the modders - extra especially @MrWalkman

F013D8D6-DC9D-4E19-AFDD-8345C3C29FC2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #3,141 of 8,231
Is the problem that the FE+ firmware may not work on the smaller A30, A40 and A50 players due to the fact that they use different internal components.

Yes, and maybe more like "the internal components are used slightly differently".

Will see how it goes.

And btw, Beers on your way @MrWalkman :beerchug:

Thanks man, I'm glad that you like it! :beers:

All this FE/FE+ talk has me incredibly excited about my 1A purchase - can't wait for it to arrive!

I've loved the changes to my ZX300 with the MrWalkman firmware, really can't wait to hear how the 1A sounds.

I'm curious what you think of the 1A with this firmware vs the ZX500. I was having a discussion with someone about this, and the person was convinced that 1A can't sound better 😅

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #3,142 of 8,231
Yes, and maybe more like "the internal components are used slightly differently".

Will see how it goes.

Thanks man, I'm glad that you like it! :beers:

I'm curious what you think of the 1A with this firmware vs the ZX500. I was having a discussion with someone about this, and the person was convinced that 1A can't sound better 😅

Yes it'll be interesting to compare. I do love the ZX507, listening right now and along with the DUNU ZEN, sounds wonderful. It's definitely much warmer than the ZX300, the 300 with your firmware a lot more airy - I'm finding both have genres they work better with and the plan is to load both with specific genres only. I plan with the 1A for it to be a dedicated hi-res machine!

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #3,144 of 8,231
Never heard my music sound so good, it's magical! Thank you Mr Walkman, pleasure to buy you a beer for all your hard work:)

I really appreciate the support, thanks! :beers:

I'm glad that you like it! :)

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #3,145 of 8,231
@MrWalkman i have been using your very first FW , it's time to go classic/plus

will pm you , don't want to clutter this lovely thread :xf_cool:

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #3,149 of 8,231
@MrWalkman , As most will use + version, could hold “down” be made to load it instead of classic? We will then not require to change hold position as screen is kept active always.

I thought of the Plus mode as an addition to the classic one, so that's why Classic is the standard one.

I think people will just get used to it, it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

I would like to know at what level the wm1a is with respect to the wm1z, considering these improvements. sorry, I wrote it with the translator

A WM1A with DMP-WM1 FE (especially in the "Plus" mode) should easily surpass a WM1Z with the stock firmware.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #3,150 of 8,231
I would like to thank @MrWalkman yet again for his work. I wrote about the FE+ firmware a few days ago. As I have more airtime with it I am even more amazed on how different the player sounds compared to when using its Sony firmware. I bought my WM1Z player based on the recommendations of others without even trying it out (this is what you get for living in a country that the official Sony importer does not care about HiRes or digital players). I must admit I had a love-hate relationship with it. But now, upgrading its firmware throughout the last few months (year?) using the excellent work of @MrWalkman it is only love. I have listened to other players, and I own a fairly expensive one from another firm - AK SE200 (replacing it for a desktop DAC in the next few months). Nothing gets close to the output of the MW1Z with @MrWalkman tuning (especially to the Plus).

This brings me to another question I have. Why wouldn't Sony, allow customization, or offer a number of choices around the sound signature? The hardware is there (proven by @MrWalkman)... the capability and feature set is there... and this is a player that is out in the market for several good years now... one cannot expect people just to upgrade to more and more expensive gear by deliberately limiting capabilities or abandoning the product. Maybe I am naive, but not everyone can shell the $s everytime there is a new gimic introduced in a new player or gear.

Happy to know what others are thinking

Ofir
Sony wouldn't want to set too high of bar to clear with their next dap would they?

They just made it good enough to compete. Being so much bigger than other dap companies I'm sure they can blow the competition away anytime they want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back