Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 18, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #3,016 of 8,232
Jan 18, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #3,017 of 8,232
That's a good theory.

Is just likely a variant as countries commonly utilise differing radio bands similar to the certification in settings, while the hardware is generally capable of all for obvious reason. If something new is coming there would be some word. Right now Sony doesn't seem remotely interested in even updating the current 1A/1Z firmware...

The other major factor is that other smaller providers of DAP's are simply moving far faster than Sony can, with tangible benefits to the user. Who knows at this point as the pandemic has reeked such havoc, forcing companies to revaluate & recalibrate. What I do know, will be a dam shame if Sony doesn't step up to the plate...

Q-6

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #3,018 of 8,232
Is just likely a variant as countries commonly utilise differing radio bands similar to the certification in settings, while the hardware is generally capable of all for obvious reason. If something new is coming there would be some word. Right now Sony doesn't seem remotely interested in even updating the current 1A/1Z firmware...

The other major factor is that other smaller providers of DAP's are simply moving far faster than Sony can, with tangible benefits to the user. Who knows at this point as the pandemic has reeked such havoc, forcing companies to revaluate & recalibrate. What I do know, will be a dam shame if Sony doesn't step up to the plate...

Q-6

It has to be an old thing, but it should still be different than our WM1A/Z somehow.

They say "WM1, WM1C, and A30 Series". So it's WM1 Series, WM1C Series, and A30 Series.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #3,019 of 8,232
It has to be an old thing, but it should still be different than our WM1A/Z somehow.

They say "WM1, WM1C, and A30 Series". So it's WM1 Series, WM1C Series, and A30 Series.
I read on a Japanese site that they were going to release a WM1 series with cassette (C).

I just made that up

sorry

(seriously now) some models like the A45, especially in Japan come with variations and letter suffixes to distinguish them. There may have been an intention to have another variant but I agree the site just has old information

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #3,020 of 8,232

Q-6

Moving faster, perhaps, but moving in such a way that their software is almost always buggy on release and basic features like gapless playback don't work properly. So begins a cycle of waiting for fixes, during which time the next new thing would have come out already.

There's something to be said for going it slow and getting it right the first time. It also assures the consumer when their investment (read: kilobuck DAP) remains relevant for a good long time.

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #3,021 of 8,232
Moving faster, perhaps, but moving in such a way that their software is almost always buggy on release and basic features like gapless playback don't work properly. So begins a cycle of waiting for fixes, during which time the next new thing would have come out already.

There's something to be said for going it slow and getting it right the first time. It also assures the consumer when their investment (read: kilobuck DAP) remains relevant for a good long time.
No doubts as some of the newer Android based DAP's do certainly have multiple SW issues that may or may not be resolved. That said it's not like Sony doesn't have the time and resources.

Q-6

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #3,022 of 8,232
No doubts as some of the newer Android based DAP's do certainly have multiple SW issues that may or may not be resolved. That said it's not like Sony doesn't have the time and resources.

Q-6
Mr Walkman has actually been more proactive than Sony - he has made album art hassle free, added features and is still working on things.
Lucky for us.

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #3,023 of 8,232
Mr Walkman has actually been more proactive than Sony - he has made album art hassle free, added features and is still working on things.
Lucky for us.
Never truer words spoken :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Q-6

Jan 19, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #3,024 of 8,232
I did a more scrutinized analysis of my library and found 5 more albums that I had overlooked in hi-res

Jan 19, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #3,025 of 8,232

Maybe it's a WM1A with a USB-C interface?

Jan 19, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #3,027 of 8,232
The work is almost done, but it's still in progress, with little left.

Sorry for the delay, as I said it should be available by the end of last week :)

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #3,028 of 8,232

Sorry for the delay, as I said it should be available by the end of last week :)

I'm really looking forward to FE+ for my WM1A and Audeze LCD-X headphones. Thanks again for your excellent work! :dt880smile:

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #3,029 of 8,232

The work is 99.999999999% done lol

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #3,030 of 8,232

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back