Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 27, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #1,171 of 8,223
I must say that I have been now playing four hours and the battery indicator does not seem to move. I usually recharge when I see it like this and cannot really say to what extent the battery is really draining or if the battery level indicator is less precise

2F41066E-E1E2-4AB1-B669-B8944E65CD60.jpeg
Switch off the battery saver and charge it to real 100%
This battery indicator has been misleading since the very first day

Oct 27, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #1,172 of 8,223
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-27 at 9.02.17 PM.jpeg

Oct 27, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #1,173 of 8,223
Oct 27, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #1,175 of 8,223
Honestly not trying to stir things up but is there any chance all these sound changes are just placebo? How do we know, without measurements or science, that anything in the sound has actually changed?
If it is, then we will be having a Mass Placebo effect. 🤣
A few maybe you can say that, but what if the amount is significant?

Oct 27, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #1,176 of 8,223
The acid test as ever is not what you hear, it's what you feel and how the music makes you feel. The hardware, the software are little more than conduits, equally as we can clearly observe the software plays a significant role with all Sony DAP's.

As a community we are lucky to have members who selflessly share and work into the small hours to ensure a well polished product for all, that not only brings a fresh take on our players, also deeply respects Sony's unique IP which draws us to these devices in the first place. Personally I'm lucky as I can pretty much audition any DAP with relative ease, yet few DAP's exceed the analogue nature of WM1A/Z, even then they tend to be more fringe products with a niche audience and pricing...

Q-6

Oct 27, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #1,178 of 8,223
  • I noticed when I scroll through my albums, the transition is not as smooth as WMI.
  • When I change various DSEE setting the changes takes place quicker on WMII where as WMI took a small pause.
  • I feel the DSEE impact has either become less prominent on WMII or part of the overall WMII general sound.
  • Background hiss, pops has almost all gone. Maybe when we push the DSP chip too hard it created those noises. The WMII is more tamed.
  • I enjoy Jazz on WMI more, something missing on WMII, but I enjoy everything else on WMII.
  • Maybe I do need that WM1Z after all to put on the WMII magic into good use.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #1,179 of 8,223
  • I noticed when I scroll through my albums, the transition is not as smooth as WMI.
  • When I change various DSEE setting the changes takes place quicker on WMII where as WMI too a small pause.
  • I feel the DSEE impact has either become less prominent on WMII.
  • Background hiss, pops as almost all gone. Maybe when we push the DSP chip oo hard it created those noises the WMII is more tamed.
  • I enjoy Jazz on WMI more, something missing on WMII, but I enjoy everything else on WMII.
  • Maybe I do need that WM1Z after all to put on the WMII magic into good use.

The DSEE thing only has a small pause when you turn it on or off in my experience. If it's already on and you change modes, there's not much of a pause.

I tried a Jazz album* yesterday, and I found myself just listening to it all. Everything just sounded so realistic, organic. I genuinely like MK2 more, for everything.

*Duke Ellington and His Orchestra - Ellington Jazz Party in Stereo (1959) [DSD64]

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #1,180 of 8,223
Senza titolo.jpg

I really like the new firmware, but in my opinion it is always a question of synergy, with the z5 I prefer the sound of the dmp wm1. it is slightly less holographic than wmII, but the soundstage is significantly wider. with the iem I can not distinguish this marked difference in height of the soundstage, in the end a compromise must be found; in the case of my z5, in the CN IMHO region the WMI is better. Anyway as always thanks for your work mr.walkman, cheers !

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #1,181 of 8,223
We are so fortunate to be able to pick from one great to another.
It is like asking a mother who is her favourite child.

I'm just a little worried. I managed to stay away from DMP Z1 for many years and now I feel slowly I'm reaching for that bank loan.

Oct 27, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #1,184 of 8,223
How would you guys rate the soundstage WIDTH of the MK1 vs MK2 vs the Stock 3.02 on 1A/Z?

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #1,185 of 8,223
How would you guys rate the soundstage WIDTH of the MK1 vs MK2 vs the Stock 3.02 on 1A/Z?
Based on 1A, here are my findings :

Stock 3.02 - widest among all the stock firmwares.
MK1 - wider than anything else I’ve listened to.
MK2 - wide enough yet more holographic and enveloping. Not just wide but more 3D sounding with taller stage and more depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back