Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 2, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #226 of 8,329
progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported

TAKE NOTES SONY!

Any chance of it supporting ID3 v2.4 tags?

Having to save tags to ID3 v2.3 and then recompressing the embedded album art is a hassle. Generally don't care about the sound since I use direct sound anyways.

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #227 of 8,329
TAKE NOTES SONY!

Having to save tags to ID3 v2.3 and then recompressing the embedded album art is a hassle. Generally don't care about the sound since I use direct sound anyways.

Direct sound is also affected by the FW mods.

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #228 of 8,329
TAKE NOTES SONY!

Direct sound is also affected by the FW mods.

Indeed, the whole signature gets the change.

Changes like the ID3 v2.4 would require access to the source code of the app, which we don't have.

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #229 of 8,329
Oh...never mind then. Carry on

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #230 of 8,329
Ooolala !
Mais qu'elle exquise! Un vraie chedeuvre 😃😁😀🙂

Very very elegant sound! This is seriously exactly how I remember hearing Dmp-z1 at canjam! Very impressive.

The balance the ultra finest sound is very on a high class here. Sony could sale us 1a or 1z with this fw and call it 1a/1z 2 and we would never guessed its same device 😅

Ok now how is the sound ?

First striked me is the bass, so even so balanced so elaborated. Bass is a segment where my tia noir are very peaky and not easy to get along with. I can say with confidence this new fw just fixed my major issues with bass! Yes yes no more fat wide englobing bass, its linear even and seems to be more towards the sub region rather the mid bass.
Also it does feels meaner and deeper in the slam. I really like the new bass!

Treble seems to be slightly more elevated but not in full spectrum something like the uper Treble seems to hit a little more sparkle. A very nice touch it bring in the fun factor!

For the mids I am not 100% I will retest it tomorrow morning. Mids seems to have a very very small unnoticeable U shaped présentation. Maybe this is what give the added impression of a small distance to them snd creates a bigger sound presence.
This also paires very nicely with my Tia noirs as they are w shaped and this helps to ease down the présentation making it more gentle and pleasurable.

Vocals are very clean and have a good tonal balance nothing seems off or wrong, really enchanting and so musical!

Extensions are phenomenal things simply expandes so far, can feel the super long and stretched treble extension into the far beyond into the dark unknown 😛

Dsee Ai on vs off

This feature really works best for mp3 files and some cd quality files...
When you engage this feature there is 1 aspect that changes right away, it is the clarity. Yes les clarity not resolution! Dont conduse 😄
This feature mainly changes the bass, it feels deeper rumblier and more punch, slight flater on the tone.

The vocals usually get a really nice touch and becomes like a real live performance. It does seems to be a nice enhancer overall.

The treble is changed to feels less quick like the decay is also flater longer. Id say it is not as the artist ment it to be played lol.

ANY HOW
You guys know Mr.Tiger always listen in direct source!!!
Because its native! Pure! Clean and unaltered... but yea for fun sure go use this feature!

:gs1000smile: 🐅🍁🌿:feet:

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #231 of 8,329
Oct 2, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #232 of 8,329
I also forgot to add the new dmp-wm1 fw is extraordinarily emotional, musical, phenomenally soul grabbing.

It was the reason why I left the previous fw back to stock as it was kinda empty on the soul side but now! Wow soul is dancing, flying, etheral feelings to the bliss!

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #233 of 8,329
ANY HOW
You guys know Mr.Tiger always listen in direct source!!!
Because its native! Pure! Clean and unaltered... but yea for fun sure go use this feature!

:gs1000smile: 🐅🍁🌿:feet:

So it’s back with direct source now? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #234 of 8,329
Oct 2, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #235 of 8,329
Guys am I the only one who sets volume from 70/120 now to 80/120 because wow I cant get enough of the goodness.

It does seems either asking more current or it got so refined in sound that I can now listen louder?

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #236 of 8,329
B22835AE-8D92-4C11-9988-D0502A3CC028.jpeg

So, wm1a sounds unreal after the update, but for those that got a 55/ 45 (my case)/ zx300 (my case too) the update actually makes it 10,00 better, the 45 gota 3D effect that goes beyond any dongle and many daps, tbh im way more in love of this rig than to my wm1a and zx300, the 45 is so portable and battery lasts for at least 4 days using and abusing it all day long. So anyways... im super tired, I’ve got a new business going on (a bakery) so my days are from 5am to 8pm at work, plus a restaurant, plus a sandwich business im trying to start, haven’t got a day off since June, been on the weeds in the restaurant for 3 weeks straight... believe me, having a gin tonic, listening to some good music, waiting while the Hokkaido bread bakes and waiting for the rest of dough ferments and having the imr bass rumbling my skull (just love that guy, i know he has a history here but I do love his imr series) is the most I get like a day off...

by the way funny story, saved some cash for a dunu Blanche that I bought from
Penon last Thursday ( nowadays spending in audio is quite a luxury for me) it has been stuck in Memphis for 3 days, today I called FedEx to know what’s going on, and they tell me that the package isn’t moving cause they caught that the box was empty when it arrived to Memphis... guys... I’ve been saving for that cable for months... also asked penon to declare 40bucks to skip customs... so... Chinese holy day going on right now... I’m quite ... mmmm I think you get it right?

im pouring my self another gin

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #237 of 8,329
Well, let's not discuss that here, I just wouldn't want this thread having the same fate.

Really appreciate it! :wink:

I'm glad you like it, man! Music is ❤, and the same goes for these players.
Woot woot! My Elysium's thank you! Enjoy some suds, on me!
DMP FW.jpg

Oct 2, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #239 of 8,329
Why is everyone having issues?
Mine was instant straight from first try

1. I was on stock 3.02 1a

2. Run dmp-01... wait until 1a reboots twice then when is done it will ask you if you want to connect back to pc.

3 after install complete exit tge installer by clicking the exit button.

4 install tge dmp ex tuning DONE

5 exit via exit button and wait till 1a has rebooted

Oct 2, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #240 of 8,329

When comparing it to the actual DMP, the DMP is still quite on a different level. It's the sense of openness (that holographic thing) and the way it can separate all the detail into placement while still sounding very clear.
That was the main focus of the classical fw as well. I have been try to squeeze out as much as I can for the last week and a half. At that same time I managed to add some nice color on top of treble. Come and think of it, I forgot have sweet the original Classical fw was. Now, I can fully say this lastest version beat my actual 1Z sound overall.

Also, I try the lastest @MrWalkman fw. This firmware is really good too. Lower mid is spot on with no color added. Also sweet warmth sound overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back