Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 2, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #166 of 8,224
I find both your DMP-1.0 and revert-stock firmwere required twice apply to work. First time, it only show flash firmwere but no running process is represented after. I re-applied again DMP 1.0 again and it worked fine.
Issue occured with both DMP1.0 and revert-stock firmwere.
I doubt it might be due to cleaning previous process.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #167 of 8,224
On my WM1Z, I've had similar installation issues like a few others here: in the second step, the ext_tuning file would just give an error saying the device isn't connected... multiple times.

Here's what I observed:
To set off, I actually installed the official 3.02 stock FW just to be on the safer side for the DMP-WM1 mod to work.
I applied DMP-WM1 (1.0).exe, which passed rather quickly and said successfully installed. Then I stumbled into what others described as well... DMP-WM1_Ext_Tuning.exe could not spot the device. I rebooted the WM1Z and the computer, of no avail. I noticed that the device information still said "WM1Z", the initial logo was still white-coloured in lieu of MrWalkman's orange, no DSEE AI to select... and StockRevert (DMP-WM1).exe wouldn't pick up on the device, either. So I gathered that indeed the external tuning wasn't the problem at all, but the proper installation of the first DMP mod file.
I thought what else might prevent the complete detection of the player, and the only thing I found was that I once changed the Region (not destination / sound region!) a few months ago, when MrWalkman released a Region Changer to help out with the mess that was the installation of Cerberus+... luckily I had saved the three Region Changers and tried to revert from the one I put on (Japanese) to my unit's stock region (European). The first attempt somehow gave an error after installing, the second worked. Then I went through a new round of installing the DMP-WM1 files, now also working! The mod file took longer than previously, but yielded an orange logo and new model information upon reboot. In accordance with this, the tuning file then immediately detected the player.
I made sure that not only USB storage mode was activated, but that I opened any .exe file only after the WM1Z was also confirmed to pop up within my computer's OS.

I hope this can help MrWalkman or others... though I have no idea how/why the Region Changer might have prevented this mod from working.

Kudos to you for tirelessly experimenting and bringing about these improvements!

Interestingly enough, out of all the mods released this year (I believe I tried almost all of them), Solis5Z from Whitigir/Morbideath still bests them all in my opinion. Though it was a tuning mod only, for me (on J region) it tore open the artistic and emotional bearing of the music like no other. (Quite a feat considering that Morbideath once said he listens to instrumental tracks only and doesn't care much for their emotions...) Of course it lacks in some technicalities compared to what MrWalkman has been establishing since, but to me, Solis is still the best presentation and overall synergy I've heard to date... maybe it does have to do with the fact that MrWalkman tailored his mods for the 1A, while Team Whitigir/Morbideath orbited the 1Z, which I also have?

Still it was great to hear the super-holographic and composed signature from this new DMP-WM1 mod, and though I felt that with Solis I had reached the bounds of the sky (except for heavier modifications of the FW and hardware enhancements), I'm always curious which new universe I can yet be sucked into with any future release. I think Sony should also consider this a gift by all means, the new firmwares reinforced my decision to stay with my WM1Z instead of any other device.

Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully the issue is solved and everything will be fine now, without having to do any complicated stuff.

Regarding the sound, it's not actually tailored to the 1A or 1Z. It's just the DMP-Z1 sound, but on the 1A/1Z. Of course, it can't sound as good as the actual DMP-Z1, but it's not too far from it :)

I tried Solis myself, but to me it sounded forced/harsh. It should also depend on the gear, but it sounds the same with all gear I have, at least to me.

Of course, I'm not competing with anyone here. I'm glad you found something you can really enjoy! That's the goal :)

I find both your DMP-1.0 and revert-stock firmwere required twice apply to work. First time, it only show flash but not work but work fine when re-apply again. It might related to clean out previous image.

I applied the same fix to the StockRevert as well, hopefully all is ok now.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #168 of 8,224
Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully the issue is solved and everything will be fine now, without having to do any complicated stuff.

Regarding the sound, it's not actually tailored to the 1A or 1Z. It's just the DMP-Z1 sound, but on the 1A/1Z. Of course, it can't sound as good as the actual DMP-Z1, but it's not too far from it :)

I tried Solis myself, but to me it sounded forced/harsh. It should also depend on the gear, but it sounds the same with all gear I have, at least to me.

Of course, I'm not competing with anyone here. I'm glad you found something you can really enjoy! That's the goal :)

Sorry, I was over-simplifying from some previous mods which were supposed to be more for the 1A's strong suits, I believe... interesting that you perceived Solis as rather forced and harsh; for me, this was exactly part of what I missed because of the more "laid back" character of all the 1Z's officials FWs and because of the lacking energy to really drive a planar. Turning the "sound pressure" setting on with the RockBox tool also helped me a great deal.

Solis always had the asset for me of being very direct, in your face, but maintaining an almost eerie calmness, relaxation to every aspect of its signature, to the point where I could never call it aggressive. I felt it was masterful in tethering all sorts of contradictory aspects of sound up to where they weren't contradictions anymore, it all became encompassing, holistic and naturally confident without sparing any detail... from what I read about the 1A, I do feel it could play a huge role whether listening to it through this player or through the 1Z.

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #169 of 8,224
People I know will disagree no matter what I say, but dang. The 1Z is a total pocket rocket. Hardly a difference in the holographic soundstage as it’s THAT good. Otherwise for all the cans I got, the 1Z hits all the checkboxes. To try to seek even “more perfection” would be ridiculous at this point. For once I’ll probably use what the hobby doesn’t use often which is logic and realize everything is in the palm of my hand thanks to MrWalkman. Wowsers. Sometime next year, I’ll buy another 1A or 1Z just to have the stock sound signature as the differences between those can for sure be discerned. I want to support Sony and this helps me get another 1Z. Cheers!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #170 of 8,224
Did anyone here have cerberus before? would love to hear your thought vs this new firmware.

Oct 2, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #171 of 8,224
I just recently loaded Chamaeleon and can’t wait to give DMP a shot. This may be outside of your scope or desire, but is there any possibility to change the Album sort order from alphabetical to sort by Year (this has been my biggest minor annoyance since I picked up my 1A)

Oct 2, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #172 of 8,224
Did anyone here have cerberus before? would love to hear your thought vs this new firmware.
I think people will hate me for this, but I will be honest. I think for 1Z Romi modded, Gear of War different DMP fw version is better. Not to diss Mr Walkman DMP fw version. Its really good, but I think its more suitable towards original 1Z/1A.

My regular 1Z with modded internal cable has Mr Walkman DMP version while Romi 1Z has your/GoW DMP version. I tried loading Mr Walkman DMP into Romi modded version, but I dont really like it. I use same songs to compare and fw switched back and forth.

Mr Walman DMP fw on 1Z/1A is very good, notes pop out. Very clear and coherent. Its suitable for original 1A/1Z. Now the bad things; not necessarily bad, just improvements( compared to Gow flawed DMP fw); music sounds lighter, there's still limit to height and depth. Notes pop out but sounds light. There's impact but not hard enough( at least to my ears).

Meanwhile, using GoW DMP version on 1Z Romi mod, there's very high/ almost no limit to ceiling/height and depth. As we know, Mr Walkman fw make the soundstage really wide. So what does this mean? This creates a 3D spherical stage. It creates amazing ambience, like you are really inside the room, the stage, the studio, the theater etc. I am there in that real place at that moment, listening to the singer perform; I can't see the location but can hear them in my soul. Another difference, since 1Z Romi mod used BG caps, every note has much greater weight, emotions of singers flow freely through their voices, bass hits harder and deeper (compared to latest DMP iteration). I'm using EE Phamtom and Sony Kimber cable (Its a muddy sounding cable, but its special property is it adds 3D ambience to iems by huge amount. Mr Walkman FW cleared up the muddyness of Phantom and Kimber cable/ like 95% to 99% I think; and on seperate note, I highly recommend this cable, its highly misunderstood but special cable).

Sorry, my mind is all over the place right now, can't write coherently at 5 am. The difference between Mr. Walkman DMP version is that it sounds like I'm listening to a very good recording of songs while GoW DMP version is like I'm listening live to the performance of the song in that venue, wherever that is. Am I dissing? none at all. What I'm saying is, things can be improved. How? I'm not a technical mumbo jumbo person, but by adding more weight to the notes, increase height and weight/depth to the stage. Bass more impact. Not sure if this is even possible. But those that have Sony Nayparm mod or done their own cap mods/ or have Romi mod, try GoW DMP version please. I think it should work as well since Kaisei is very close to BG caps. Its special. I don't know how this is even possible, since Mr Walkman and others are saying it not technically possible, but my ears don't lie. I can't resolve the discrepancies. Maybe discussing with the expert like Mr Walkman and others and see if its possible for them to hear what I hear. Maybe something good can come out of it

But this is just one person opinion. I can feel the flame on my butt already. Spare me please :L3000: :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #173 of 8,224
I think people will hate me for this, but I will be honest. I think for 1Z Romi modded, Gear of War different DMP fw version is better. Not to diss Mr Walkman DMP fw version. Its really good, but I think its more suitable towards original 1Z/1A.

My regular 1Z with modded internal cable has Mr Walkman DMP version while Romi 1Z has your/GoW DMP version. I tried loading Mr Walkman DMP into Romi modded version, but I dont really like it. I use same songs to compare and fw switched back and forth.

Mr Walman DMP fw on 1Z/1A is very good, notes pop out. Very clear and coherent. Its suitable for original 1A/1Z. Now the bad things; not necessarily bad, just improvements( compared to Gow flawed DMP fw); music sounds lighter, there's still limit to height and depth. Notes pop out but sounds light. There's impact but not hard enough( at least to my ears).

Meanwhile, using GoW DMP version on 1Z Romi mod, there's very high/ almost no limit to ceiling/height and depth. As we know, Mr Walkman fw make the soundstage really wide. So what does this mean? This creates a 3D spherical stage. It creates amazing ambience, like you are really inside the room, the stage, the studio, the theater etc. I am there in that real place at that moment, listening to the singer perform; I can't see the location but can hear them in my soul. Another difference, since 1Z Romi mod used BG caps, every note has much greater weight, emotions of singers flow freely through their voices, bass hits harder and deeper (compared to latest DMP iteration). I'm using EE Phamtom and Sony Kimber cable (Its a muddy sounding cable, but its special property is it adds 3D ambience to iems by huge amount. Mr Walkman FW cleared up the muddyness of Phantom and Kimber cable/ like 95% to 99% I think; and on seperate note, I highly recommend this cable, its highly misunderstood but special cable).

Sorry, my mind is all over the place right now, can't write coherently at 5 am. The difference between Mr. Walkman DMP version is that it sounds like I'm listening to a very good recording of songs while GoW DMP version is like I'm listening live to the performance of the song in that venue, wherever that is. Am I dissing? none at all. What I'm saying is, things can be improved. How? I'm not a technical mumbo jumbo person, but by adding more weight to the notes, increase height and weight to the stage. Bass more impact. Not sure if this is even possible. But those that have Sony Nayparm mod or done their own cap mods/ or have Romi mod, try GoW DMP version please. I think it should work as well since Kaisei is very close to BG caps. Its special. I don't know how this is even possible, since Mr Walkman and others are saying it doesn't technically possible, but my ears don't lie. I would like to discuss with the expert like Mr Walkman and others and if its possible for them to hear what I hear. Maybe something good can come out of it

But this is just one person opinion. I can feel the flame on my butt already. Spare me please :L3000: :dt880smile:
So to boil it all down, you just have a different sound preference. Leaning more on the warmer/darker/heavier note weight side. Am i right?

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #174 of 8,224

Sorry, my mind is all over the place right now, can't write coherently at 5 am. The difference between Mr. Walkman DMP version is that it sounds like I'm listening to a very good recording of songs while GoW DMP version is like I'm listening live to the performance of the song in that venue, wherever that is. Am I dissing? none at all. What I'm saying is, things can be improved. How? I'm not a technical mumbo jumbo person, but by adding more weight to the notes, increase height and weight/depth to the stage. Bass more impact. Not sure if this is even possible. But those that have Sony Nayparm mod or done their own cap mods/ or have Romi mod, try GoW DMP version please. I think it should work as well since Kaisei is very close to BG caps. Its special. I don't know how this is even possible, since Mr Walkman and others are saying it not technically possible, but my ears don't lie. I can't resolve the discrepancies. Maybe discussing with the expert like Mr Walkman and others and see if its possible for them to hear what I hear. Maybe something good can come out of it

I think that tuning mods like Cerberus or Solis are more dependent on the gear, while something like DMP-WM1 goes well with more in general.

To me, both Solis and Cerberus sounded forced. Maybe it's indeed like Whitigir was saying, that for these tuning mods you need a certain tier of hardware in order to sound good. Yes, they have an immediate "wow" effect, but as I said, it sounds forced, and it brings listening fatigue - at least for me.

I'm glad you found something you really enjoy. As I was saying, this is the goal :)

@gearofwar feel free to share it with others as well, so they could try it.

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #175 of 8,224
I'm wondering if this happens only on WM1Z players, or if someone with WM1A had this issue as well.

Also, after I updated the post this morning, is this still happening?

I used the StockRevert and installed DMP-WM1 again several times, and all went fine for me.
I had WM1A/Z+ installed, I re-installed the stock 3.02, and manually power off/on it before installing DMP-WM1 fw.
installation on my WM1Z is smooth, one take only.

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #176 of 8,224
I had WM1A/Z+ installed, I re-installed the stock 3.02, and manually power off/on it before installing DMP-WM1 fw.
installation on my WM1Z is smooth, one take only.

It should be ok after the last fix I done.

Thanks for the feedback!

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #177 of 8,224
You need to be on 1A/1Z for it to work.

If you already have installed, then you don't need to install it again.

Wild I just read this? I put it on top of Sony Stock 3.02? Then it seemed lacking bass till I did a restart? I’m not sure if I attempted to put it in wrong? It shows DMP-Z1 as the model number and blows the doors off anything in history X level 5?

I’ll probably leave it and buy a third Walkman, I’m so scared to loose this gift?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #178 of 8,224
Sorry,ot question.
which ier in your hopinion goes well with the wm1a?
budg. Around 400.00€

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #179 of 8,224
Wild I just read this? I put it on top of Sony Stock 3.02? Then it seemed lacking bass till I did a restart? I’m not sure if I attempted to put it in wrong? It shows DMP-Z1 as the model number and blows the doors off anything in history X level 5?

I’ll probably leave it and buy a third Walkman, I’m so scared to loose this gift?
That goes for me as well. Wow, go figure

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #180 of 8,224

That goes for me as well. Wow, go figure

Maybe it's again related to the mysteries of external tuning or something. I added this as a step, restarting the player after applying the external tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back