Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 26, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #1,081 of 8,254
For those of us who either have no Windows or are paranoid about running executables from unknown sources (sorry mrwalkman, from a security point of view you are) you can still easily install the different fw's.

Take mrwalkman's executable and unzip it with your favorite packager - there're a couple of directories and files inside. Find the one with the extension .upg (that's the actual firmware), copy it to the root directory of the player (NOT the SD card) and run the same scsitool you use to change the region code, but use the do_fw_upgrade option. The DAP will restart and install the new fw (this part is the same, no matter what method you use)

If the above makes no sense to you, then just don't. :)

PS - looking forward to the A30/40/50 versions

My package is only not signed, otherwise it's a simple archive. I welcome anyone to do it like described above, but I think we're only complicating things a bit. Also, people have to run the external tuning anyway, which it's not just about the UPG. The whole tool must be run.

Oct 26, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #1,083 of 8,254
Back to past (=
Now everything sounds as it should. Just full immersion!

IMG_20201026_103828.jpg

Oct 26, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #1,084 of 8,254
The colored black tips are my favorite. But I’m wondering if it’s a good idea to get them for the IER-Z1R

You don’t need to get them you already have them, they come with the N3. But they add bass to the IER-Z1R.....do you want that?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #1,085 of 8,254
It's not clear in my mind and difficult to compare between firmwares, but should new firmware affect also LDAC Bluetooth Output sound quality in a way or another ? as there is no active EQ/DSEE-HX available (at least no difference between Direct Source or not).
As I am testing these last days the Qudelix 5G + IER-Z1R (with some PEQ applied issued from AutoEQ project) connected to my WM1A in LDAC mode, I found the sound quite impressive too... So I am not sure MrWalkman firmware is concerned with this quality.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #1,087 of 8,254
Does the new firmware DMP-WM1 II work with ZX300 or only with 1A/1Z
Sorry if this has been answered before.

Oct 26, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #1,090 of 8,254
Do the A50 and A50R firmware affect battery life?

One person reported a big drop in battery from the stock firmware with the A50R. The big reason I am interested in the NW-A55 is the much improved battery life over my M9 and of course the custom firmware to improve audio quality. As it stands now I would primarily be trading power on the M9 for battery life on the A55. Take away that tradeoff with lower battery life on the A55 with A50R firmware and it doesn't make sense to switch for me. I will be watching for Black Friday deals soon so having this information would help.

Oct 26, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #1,091 of 8,254
You don’t need to get them you already have them, they come with the N3. But they add bass to the IER-Z1R.....do you want that?
Those use the stock SS clear tips, so I'm not swapping those out

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #1,092 of 8,254
I just went with Tanjiro through the steps, and all worked fine, from the first try. This included using StockRevert for DMP-WM1 MK1, and then installing DMP-WM2. So as always, I have no clue what happened.

I will write it here so it's clear for everyone.

What to do if I have DMP-WM1 MK1 installed and I want to try DMP-WM1 MK2?

1. Use StockRevert (DMP-WM1 MK1) - do not try to use StockRevert from DMP-WM1 MK2 or do not try to simply install the official stock firmware, as the installation will not work! Also make sure that Mass Storage mode is enabled!

After using StockRevert, you should no longer see the orange Walkman logo after the player completes the update.

2. Install DMP-WM1 MK2
3. Install the DMP-WM1 MK2 external tuning

There's no reason why this would not work.
I disabled Windows 10 Defender before unzip the files as it is too sensitive to small .exe. Then following the instructions in the readme file. One take only and everything works fine.

Initially comment on MK2 is the treble better than MK1, seems not too much change in the soundstage, may need to spend more time to listen.

@MrWalkman, Thanks for the great work.

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #1,093 of 8,254
If you still see DMP-Z1, then it means that StockRevert did not install successfully somehow. Try installing it again.
Mr.Wallkman you really nailed this one Sounds Alike 3.00 but without the elevated peak and better bass response WOW.. i wonder what it can be doned if you use 3.00 for the future as reference. this one its 9.5 out of ten for sure on my 1A INCREDIBLE SOUND it certanley sounds tall fast and also refined.. if making firmware was cooking you will be Gordon Ramsay

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #1,094 of 8,254
Do the A50 and A50R firmware affect battery life?

The only negative effect on battery life I've found is that it sounds so good you just want to keep listening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back