Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 11, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #1,516 of 8,232
Wait for the new DMP-WM1 III. Like I said before , it’s amazing and I can just go on and on about it. And there has been some developments with it and after some further fine tuning, it’s even better. Better than anything else you would’ve heard. It has the best bass depth and texture I have ever heard on the 1A. The mids are absolutely intimate yet airy and the highs are super detailed yet silky smooth. Nothing is out of place. Nothing bleeds into anything. It’s mind blowingly good. It’s the quintessential firmware for the 1A.

P.S. If anyone feels that this is just me hyping the next best thing, well, believe what you want. I don’t really care.

Nov 11, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #1,517 of 8,232
P.S. If anyone feels that this is just me hyping the next best thing, well, believe what you want. I don’t really care.

Yep, it's just something better after something better.

Nov 11, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #1,518 of 8,232
Sony XBA-Z5
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Nov 11, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #1,519 of 8,232
So DMP-A30 doesn't sound as good as the Reloaded firmware?
Yeah, like I said:
Well, I finally had some time to test the dmp-a30. It's enjoyable but I still prefer the non-plus reloaded. There's just something about the way it presents the sound - it's not only clearer but there's a particular rawness that makes the music more realistic. The dmp-30 is somewhat sweater and smoother but it's a bit diffuse in comparison, with vocals and instruments lacking that specific focus that reloaded can convey, so I'm sticking with reloaded. I also gave up on trying to like the a105, so I gifted it to my father, who was pretty happy. I don't know if it was something in Android or what but it just sounds mediocre and can't compete with my old trusty a30.
I tried them all Reloaded/+, WM30/+, DMP30 and I prefer non plus-Reloaded. Aside from sounding clearer, there's just this particular immediacy and tightness of the notes that make it sound more realistic.

Nov 11, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #1,520 of 8,232
Yeah, like I said:

I tried them all Reloaded/+, WM30/+, DMP30 and I prefer non plus-Reloaded. Aside from sounding clearer, there's just this particular immediacy and tightness of the notes that make it sound more realistic.

Got it. Maybe you'll find the future Reloaded based on WM1Z better though. We'll see :)

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #1,522 of 8,232
In my review on the IER-Z1R 20 days after it was released I actually thought it was detailed? Though really while it has detail, it's not a forward mid-range IEM, nor the most detailed IEM in hindsight. Yet it was the most detailed I had heard at the time. Though if someone has the XBA-Z5 it's kind of a progression in that direction, which at least makes it pertinent.
With other players I preferred the IER-M9. The Z1R only shines when paired with the DMP-Z1 (3.5mm) imo, with other players it doesn't reach the same heights.

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #1,523 of 8,232
I've said it before and I'll say it again - for me the Z5 is kinda redundant given the existence of N3 at half the price. They are almost identical. The Z5 is bit bassier and a touch fuller sounding, but it's like having a slightly different tuning of the same iem rather than being an actual higher-tier product that warrants the higher price. In fact, I consider the N3 the better tuned of the two. Add to that the finicky fit of z5 and it's just redundant.

So it's not just me, the N3 does sound better!

I did some a/b testing with both, the Z5 vs N3 using MrWalkman's DMP-50 and I notice more details on the N3. I even changed the original Z5 Sony tips with some aftermarket tips (JVC) and still, N3 sounds best for me.

And by the way, I really like the treble from the DMP-50, and to my ears, it doesn't sound harsh at all. Deep bass, good treble and great soundstage. Just perfect.

Nov 11, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #1,524 of 8,232
almost end game for me, fit is my only problem, but seriously, one of the best things ive ever tried
Zntil you hear the IER-Z1R, once you hear one, you cannot unhear it and will render XBA-Z5 unlistenable or obsolete

Nov 11, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #1,526 of 8,232
Zntil you hear the IER-Z1R, once you hear one, you cannot unhear it and will render XBA-Z5 unlistenable or obsolete
I have heard the Z1R and still prefer the Z5 any day. Z1R was too harsh and in your face sounding. Z5 is always pleasant and warm as that’s my preferred signature.

Nov 11, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #1,527 of 8,232
I have heard the Z1R and still prefer the Z5 any day. Z1R was too harsh and in your face sounding. Z5 is always pleasant and warm as that’s my preferred signature.

I did like the Z5 and would probably not have looked any further if the fit had worked for me

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #1,528 of 8,232
Nov 11, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #1,529 of 8,232
I find the N3 vs Z5 (vs Z1R) discussion very entertaining :beyersmile: (don't care if it's off-topic btw.)
here is my take on that, so if you don't like off-topic pls don't read this spoiler-post :wink:....

I'm also in the Z5 camp :).. had the the two side by side for a longer time and the Z5 just crushes the N3 for me, there is nothing that the N3 does better (for me), except for sounding brighter. Sorry for being harsh to the N3, it's indeed very very good for its price, but the Z5 is unique and just the best I heard (you have to like its tonality though, otherwise you won't like it at all). The N3 can however sound great with the firmwares of our good man, Mrwalkman, as they make the highs softer and less harsh.

I totally agree with @Redcarmoose and what he mentioned in his lengthy and on-point comparison a few posts ago! It was a great post to read, thanks for that btw.
Also think like @aceedburn , the Z5 has a unique tonality, which if you happen to like then you're in love forever :dt880smile: . At least I have a romantic relationship with my Z5.
I did not listen to the Z1R but as I read that it is the better N3, I guess I'll prefer the Z5 due to its tonality, like aceedburn mentioned
I envy Redcarmoose however for the nice balanced Kimber Kable, i will try the Z5 balanced one day, guess I'll buy the ZX300 and fit it with Mrwalkmans firmware, just to get balanced sound on my Z5.

Someone here also asked about the difference between EX800 and EX1000... the EX800 is more neutral, the EX1000 more U-type and (maybe just a tiny) bit better sounding, however there is a treble spike which can become annoying for some. I have both and if you already have the EX800 you really don't need to buy the EX1000 I would say, the difference is very minor

Really enjoying the a45 with reloaded+ now and will as soon as possible upgrade to the DMP-40!
I am also thinking about buying the ZX300 for the balanced output, is the DMP-300 also affecting the balanced out of the ZX300? Does anybody have the WM1a and ZX300 with both DMP-firmwares side-by-side and can say if there is big difference in sound in balanced mode? I may also go for the WM1a if its worth it then (price difference is huge though)

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #1,530 of 8,232
So it's not just me, the N3 does sound better!

I did some a/b testing with both, the Z5 vs N3 using MrWalkman's DMP-50 and I notice more details on the N3. I even changed the original Z5 Sony tips with some aftermarket tips (JVC) and still, N3 sounds best for me.

And by the way, I really like the treble from the DMP-50, and to my ears, it doesn't sound harsh at all. Deep bass, good treble and great soundstage. Just perfect.
I have both as well, I don’t know if it’s me, but the z5 sounds miles better for me, sound is thick, coherent and weighty. N3 sounds amazing (its a goddamn Sony) but z5 could very well be my endgame

i bought ex800st for super cheap with a mmcx to exk converter.Saw the vent mod and the inner cushion mod. Will be telling you what’s up on monday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back