SONY Shootout Thread : MDR-SA1000 vs SA3000 vs SA5000
May 24, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #91 of 124
Hi all...unfortunately I am still waiting for the SA3000. I had the SA5000 and the SA1000 on loan...since this review (the SA1K vs. SA5K comparison) I have purchased the SA1000. Now all I need is the SA3000
wink.gif

Lan!!! Where art thou?
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #92 of 124
*whimper*

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #93 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
This is not yet complete...SA3000 will be in my hands soon and it will be time for a three way shootout.

I dread that day
tongue.gif

I'm looking forward to it
biggrin.gif
I actually got my SA1000's partly on the positives mentioned in your review, and enjoy them quite alot. Sure they are a bright headphone, but one can always put a veil over the driver mesh, and they beat my SR60's for looks, comfort, build, and sound quality across the board, although the SR60's have a warmer midrange, true to the Grado line.

Also, I recently got the opportunity to test the SA5000's-three pairs, actually- at the 6-18 Portland Meet, and was quite impressed with the performance of the SA5000 in comparison to the SA1000 for everything but bass. On some tracks I played with ultra-low frequency elements, a certain floppiness was apparent, something reminscient of a whoppee cushion opening, but very very deep.

I tried the same stuff with some Cardas'd HD650's, and although the 650's lacked the definition of the high end, I found them to control bass with more authority. The SA1000's were somewhere in between, but I did not find them to be lacking in the least, perhaps because my ears are used to bright cans. At some point, I'll try some foam backing or something and see if that helps yield some control the presence of the SA1000, but I'll be waiting on that for a while.

Also, I've had my theories as to exactly what is/is not metal in the SA5000. Everything you've confirmed as metal is dead on accurate, and your suspicions about the earcup frames being plastic is too, as from my observation I think I know why the SA5000's have an initial metallic feeling on their plastic parts, and only one thing comes to mind: Powdered aluminum finish.

Basically, a clearcoat or whatever is regularly used in the silver painting of SA1000's(for example), but with a base that is comprised of powdered aluminum(or possibly powdered magnesium if that is viable) instead of a standard silver base to be added to a thin clearcoat. This would result in a metallic feel, but less metallic feeling than real metal, because the core is plastic with surrounding aluminum particles- plastic feels warm to the touch, metal is cold to the touch, so mix the two and you get something in between, the SA5000's earcup frames. I've seen this powdered aluminium paint type used in the Discovery Channel series "Mythbusters, so perhaps a search there might turn up better info than I've elaborated.

'Till then,
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jun 29, 2005 at 8:52 AM Post #94 of 124
Almost all the pieces of the SA5000 are FULL metal; the metal is magnesium alloy, the same kind used in the Z1 laptops and such. It is very light and has that powered look/feel to it.

Jun 29, 2005 at 9:33 AM Post #95 of 124
That's not what gsferrari found; he actually went so far as to chip his in an inconspicuous spot and found that it was indeed plastic- this even led to a debate that has already died, but alot of people aren't aware of. However, the headband and adjusters are indeed metal, and they have the same "cold to the touch" feel to them. The SA5000's earcups don't, from my observations, and you might try this: touch parts of the SA5000 after sitting in a room tempurature area for a minute to the area below your nose. Apparently, it's a great way to detect temperatures, and metals commonly dissipate warmth MUCH quicker than plastic.

You could also rub some of the powdered finish off, but I personally wouldn't try it as gsferrari already found everything about its composition and made light of it. I believe that after a few years of constant use, the finish may deteriorate(it's restorable though), revealing its construction. The only other option beyond that is to disassemble an earcup and examine the structure from behind. Of course, no one in their right mind would, and certainly not me.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #96 of 124
My obserations are consistent with Gsferrari's -- aside from the headband adjusters, if there is any metal in the SA5000 it is the most plastic-like metal I have ever seen.

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #97 of 124
Found it, and found it again(firefox mysteriously locked up and had to be shut down). The thread. I do have to apologize for beating this topic like a dead horse(no pun intended from my avatar
icon10.gif
), but there is still debate on the matter and it should be settled. I might even link this in my sig to help it end.

Also, I'll be searching on the topic of powdered metal finishes, because I believe it would be the most economical option to produce a metallic feeling can without compromising more economically beneficial options(making more money on the bottom line). Some cars already incoporate this stuff inside and out, and many home products already should as well.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #98 of 124
GS-

Could you compare the Sony lineup to your Stax rig in the detail department?

I would like to hear your views on how the two compare because I am considering making this leap eventually (once my ears get the opportunity to hear them,that is). I am very interested in detail, speed, PRaT and resolution.

Thanks,

Matt

Jun 29, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #99 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I am very interested in detail, speed, PRaT and resolution

Go with the Sony. The trouble with the Stax is that you have very few amp choices and it is hard to get hold of one for audition. With the Dynamic Sony you can contact ANYONE who has an amp that you are thinking of.

With the right amp - the SA5000 is better than the SR-404 out of the Stax 007T.

This is my observation and I truly regret selling the SA5000 (I am sure many of you have seen the thread about what happened to it). It is coming back to me now and I dont plan on letting it go.

gs

Jun 29, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #100 of 124
Did you manage to get your hands on the 3k?

Jul 6, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #103 of 124
It probably wont happen now. GS only has the 1000 and not the 5000. If he does get the 3000, he will have to review it and compare using audio memory - which, no offense, isnt as good as A/Bing headphones.

Jul 6, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #104 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
It probably wont happen now. GS only has the 1000 and not the 5000. If he does get the 3000, he will have to review it and compare using audio memory - which, no offense, isnt as good as A/Bing headphones.

I wouldn't worry about the availability of a SA5k along with the SA3k for GS' review.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 6, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #105 of 124
I have SA5000 and SA1000. But the SA5000s are beat up...I need to find a pukka pair for the comparison.

It will be interesting to throw the Qualia 010 into the mix wouldnt it
wink.gif

Now who has the SA3000 and when can they send it my way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back