SONY Shootout Thread : MDR-SA1000 vs SA3000 vs SA5000
Mar 20, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #61 of 124
Any idea how these 'phones compare to the Audio-Technica ATH-AD1000, ATH-AD900 and ATH-AD10 Air headphones?

Mar 20, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #62 of 124
OMG! It *is* true! And available now!

Has anyone ordered from them and received the headphones? I mean, it seems to hard to be true... Better make sure it's legit before plunking down the money...

But if someone has, I might just have a few drinks myself to make the decision easier
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #63 of 124
Oh no... I think it is legit...

Ratings for the store

Umm... ok... Now I really have to think hard.

So has anyone made a direct comparison (not from memory) between the SA-5000 and either the CD-3000 or RS-1?

Mar 20, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #64 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Haha, ok. I placed my order. Really shouldn't surf this site after a few drinks...

Hahahaha. Good one

Gsferrari, did you have a chance to listen to the sa1000 on a tube amp? Do you think it's possible that the lusher midrange that tube amps give would bring out the missing part in it?

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #65 of 124
Good question Feanor, I'd be interested in hearing how a tube amp would pair with the SA1K's. Also, where can they be found for that cheap?

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #66 of 124
GSFerrari,

How do the SA5000 compare to the HD650 with the zu cable? I am just really curious cause i ordered my sennheisers last week and i am still waiting for them to show up. Hope they still stand up to their level and they are not bashed by the newcomers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dimitris

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #67 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
The Qualia hollowness is not present in these headphones. What a relief! SA5K sounds like a normal natural headphone straight out of the box. I havent noticed too much improvement with break in although I am less than 200 hours on mine...definitely. Midrange has improved and fleshed out a bit but thats it. Sounds great...

What a relief, eh???? Definitelly one candidate more and I will do my best to try it, that is for sure...

Quote:

My experience with the CD3000 was limited to these amps :

Perreaux SHX-1 Rev 0.5
Headroom MAX with Stepped Attenuator
Grace Design 901
Rudistor RP5 Reference
Gilmore V2-SE
Singlepower MPX3

Well of those amps with the exception of the Perreaux, wich I like a lot, but IMO it is a little lean on the bass also, (the main reason I sold it) but definitelly my two pairs, and the two more I sold, did not sounded sibilant at all, lean yes, but never sibilant...For some particular reason (wich you know), we can't talk about the rest in details...but for sure I will consider other options for the CD3000 over those....

Quote:

I dont think two people hear the same but the CD3000 was definitely "edgy" with my music material. Or it just seemed that way to me. I find the RS1 to be a bit edgy as well...so there...

Not the same, I know, but at least similar...LOL...BTW I found the Qualias to have more or less the same forward "presentation" on the highs of the CD3000 (details and quality appart of course) Not sure of those SA series, for sure I would like to try them...seriously...

Quote:

The SA series does not lack soundstage. It may not be CD3K standards but then again...it is a LOT and that is enough for me. Bass is a no contest. CD3K is monotone bass compared to these headphones. I think it is a definite improvement in almost every aspect...even comfort...

Definitelly I need to hear it, but IMO not even the R-10 makes the CD3000 feel monotone in the bass, the SA5000 should be a monster of a headphone, hope it won't disappointed me later....as many others....(and I'm expecting now a lot from them)...LOL...but IMO also the soundstage is more dependent to the amp, than to the headphone itself, with a good amp, you may find a good soundstage in almost every model...the CD3000 sounstage varies significantly with every amp I have tried....

Quote:

Ever feel your CD3K getting too hot around the ears? I love those earpads but phew they get nice and toasty!

Not anymore. Sov - you should try the SA5K if it is really $379.00 FANTASTIC!!

No not hot at all, and SA5000 is 379.00??? Not sure of that...really?

Mar 20, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #68 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
GSFerrari,

How do the SA5000 compare to the HD650 with the zu cable? I am just really curious cause i ordered my sennheisers last week and i am still waiting for them to show up. Hope they still stand up to their level and they are not bashed by the newcomers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dimitris

The HD-650s hold their own. I think they are the 2nd or 3rd best headphone when it comes to midrange quality and overall enjoyability. I only sold my pair because I wanted to sample the SA-5000. I was preparing for disappointment after my experiences with the CD3000...but I am glad this was not the case. If it was then I would have been open about it because my expectations from the SA-5000 were as low as one can imagine.

I didnt buy these headphones to listen to music
tongue.gif
I wanted their resolving ability for amplifier testing but it has filled out both roles admirably.

I will buy a HD-650+Zu again once I have the money. It is a nice alternative when you arent in the mood for the sony presentation. Although at this point of time I cannot get enough of the SA5K...it just grabs you...doesnt let go...you cannot focus on anything else...no way you are going to work with these headphones on because it forces you to observe the music.

The best part is the same track can be listened to in several different ways depending on what instrument you focus on. Jazz and instrumental music really REALLY gets elevated to another level.

Mar 20, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #69 of 124
Nice. I have a feeling SA1000 will be my new budget recommendation for friends and family if they can handle the size of the headphone. It is kind of large isn't it?
biggrin.gif

If it does end up being $100, that's a good price many can consider decent.

I think these will get better with more burnin.
wink.gif

SA5000 at 900+ hours here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #70 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
The HD-650s hold their own. I think they are the 2nd or 3rd best headphone when it comes to midrange quality and overall enjoyability. I only sold my pair because I wanted to sample the SA-5000. I was preparing for disappointment after my experiences with the CD3000...but I am glad this was not the case. If it was then I would have been open about it because my expectations from the SA-5000 were as low as one can imagine.

I didnt buy these headphones to listen to music
tongue.gif
I wanted their resolving ability for amplifier testing but it has filled out both roles admirably.

I will buy a HD-650+Zu again once I have the money. It is a nice alternative when you arent in the mood for the sony presentation. Although at this point of time I cannot get enough of the SA5K...it just grabs you...doesnt let go...you cannot focus on anything else...no way you are going to work with these headphones on because it forces you to observe the music.

The best part is the same track can be listened to in several different ways depending on what instrument you focus on. Jazz and instrumental music really REALLY gets elevated to another level.

Gsf thanks a lot for replying!

I just wouldnt like wanting to get new phones before i even tried my HD650. I like listening to cuban and bossa nova music. Any impressions on these types of music?

Mar 20, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #71 of 124
gs,

Thanks for the analysis
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm tempted by the SA1000's, as they seem to be a great value pair of phones, but my main concern is that although they would offer a different sound to my current HD600's, they probably wouldn't be a step up from the Senns. However, I guess the SA5000's would be a big step up from the Senns.

Argh!

Mar 20, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #72 of 124
Nice and entertaining review, as always... Thanks for the effort, Guru!

I guess I'm another SA5000 candidate.
smily_headphones1.gif

peacesign.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #74 of 124
I know this is weird but...Even though I have the SA5000s already...I feel jealous about your SA5000/1000/3000 virgins who are ordering now. I never had the excitement when I bought mine...wasnt waiting desperately for them...sure I wanted to have them but not as badly as I can remember waiting for the SR-60. Now that I have heard them I think I should have been more excited...and rightfully so
tongue.gif

Confused...me too
rolleyes.gif
eggosmile.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #75 of 124
Nice review GSF! It's about time Sony came up with decent fons at $100 price range. If the SA1000 can give run for their money I can't wait for your review on SA3000 to compete in sub$200 category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back