SONY Shootout Thread : MDR-SA1000 vs SA3000 vs SA5000
Mar 12, 2005 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 124

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
Folks...a strange quirk of fate has given me access to all 3 offerings from Sony in the MDR-SA series.

I intend to dissect all these headphones and share my opinions with the rest of HeadFi.

At this point of time I have the SA5000 and the SA1000. The SA1000 is a loaner from PsychoZX of HeadFi. The SA3000 is currently in Japan with Jason and I will wait until he passes it on to me. Hopefully I will have all three together at some point of time but this is something I cannot guarantee.

[size=medium]SA-1000 :[/size]

What a nice surprise!! Certainly not as shabby as I thought it would be. the build quality actually compares very well to the SA5000. Yes there is a lot more plastic but the overall quality is very very good. Everything fits perfectly together and I think the headband has been finished better with a more comfortable "pleather" sleeve. The SA5000 has a harder rubber headband sleeve.

For a custom parts description of the anatomy of this series of headphones I will use this picture :-

8234SA1000PARTS.jpg

So :

* The headband is basically two plastic tubes running from side to side
* The headband sleeve is pleather with fabric stretched in between. Note that this feels "nicer" than the SA5000 version when it is on the head
wink.gif

* The driver housing and the suspension are almost certainly plastic. The SA5000 has a more "harder" feel when you tap it but this could be down to the paint.
* The cable is thinner than the SA5000 cable. Is it a different cable or is it a different sheath?
* The earpads are definitely fabric. Are the removable and washable? I dont know and these are not my headphones so I dont want to try and pry them loose
tongue.gif

* The driver is exposed in the SA1000. In the SA5000 there is a white sheath over the driver. Is this the only difference between these headphones as far as drivers are concerned? interesting thought...read on
wink.gif

* The "chrome ring" around the driver (external cosmetic accent) is plastic. On the SA5000 it is definitely metal
* The cable is one sided...nice!
* The headband adjustment strip is metal and is probably the ONLY metal part in sight
tongue.gif

* The headphone jack accent is also plastic
* The headband adjustment has a crappy feel to it - SA5000 has a nice click to it....SA1000 doesnt. But that is to be expected with almost $300.00 price difference!!
* The "rear" part of the driver screen (look at pics below) are also different. The SA5000 has a high quality polymer suspension for the driver housing. The SA1000 driver housing suspension is plastic.

8234SA5000housing1.JPG
8234SA1000housing1.JPG

SA5000 is on the left and SA1000 on the right.

* The SA1000 cable also seems to be less microphonic than the SA5000 cable. I will confirm this once I finish changing the RCA's on my source
[Actually further testing has revealed that the SA1000 cable is just as microphonic as the SA5000 cable]

[size=small]SONICS :[/size]

Just to get this started off I will post some "non-audiophile" impressions. Truth is that I am facing some horrible work-load related issues and get back home too late and too beat-up to do any reliable listening. However I expect to have more time the rest of this week to do the detailed listening but I do have a few impressions to share right now.

SA1000 is a VERY capable headphone. I have not touched the SA5000s for a while and when I put the SA1K on for the first time I was pleasantly surprised that it sounded very very similar to the SA5K. The sonic signature appeared to be the same...similar balance as far as bass, mids and highs are concerned.
Yes this is still a detailed headphone...that quality has not disappeared down the ranks from the SA5K to the SA1K.

But wait - I hooked up the SA1K and SA5K via the amplifier and the differences showed up like an ex at your wedding!! Where are the mids?!?!
confused.gif
On its own the SA1K sounds perfectly fine but swap for the SA5Ks and you realize what is missing...

The SA1000 just does not have the midrange capability of the SA5K. Also - the bass on the SA1000 has less "body" and less "bloom". The SA5K has impressive body and bloom...this adds what I like to call "texture" because micro-modulations in the bass become easier to hear under these conditions. With the SA1K there is still plenty of bass and impact but the extension is left out of the show.

The SA1000 has a lot more treble energy than the SA5K which is where the price difference is apparent as regards to how price affects sound. Does this headphone sound cheap? NO! But the SA5Ks sound expensive and they ARE expensive!

I have also observed that the SA1Ks sound very good straight out of my Rio Karma. If you have a modest amp you should be good to go. I am VERY tempted to snag a AOS Piccolo DAC+Amp unit to try with this headphone...

Comfort: all my comments as far as the SA5K were concerned hold true. The fabric cover on the earpads doesnt feel as comfy as the pleather on the SA5K but they "breathe" better and leave you feeling cooler over long listening sessions. The "CUP" of the pads is also generous and I dont feel my ears touching anything inside. Pure unadulterated sound straight from the angled drivers into your ear
smily_headphones1.gif

The one side wire is convenient BUT the wire goes through the headband and it comes out in two places...very delicate wire...I dont know how durable this solution will be (pics coming up)

I was just listening to Eric Clapton - Unplugged and these differences became very obvious. I have nothing negative (yet) to say about the SA1K because if I didnt have the SA5Ks I would have been VERY impressed with these cans...wow...what detail! Those with the financial muscle to upgrade to the SA5K - DO IT!! There is "tangible" improvement in build quality and there is "audible" improvements in sonics.

Those of you considering the SA1K...wait until I have the SA3K...and wait until I post more detailed observations on a track-to-track basis in a day or two.

[size=medium]UPDATED:[/size]

[size=medium]Sonic comparisons between SONY MDR-SA1000 and SA5000
[/size]

[size=xx-small]Is he out of his mind? Comparing a $500.00 headphone with a $100.00 headphone is simply not on! This is blasphemy and no one should take such a review seriously. Besides – the writer owns the SA5000 and will have exhibited some obvious bias towards his headphone, shafting the SA1000 in the process. I think this is a waste of time and that so many of you have been eagerly waiting for this garbage is just further proof of the insanity of the HeadFi community. [/size]

Quoting the average HeadFi cynic’s reaction to this review…

NO – I am NOT out of my mind and I think this review is entirely relevant to this community and I can assure you that it has been written with a very balanced outlook. I intend to purchase the SA1000 and SA3000 purely by the performance the SA1000 and 5000 have afforded me during the course of this review. Although some of my comments might seem a bit harsh at times – everything is relative and please do not come to a conclusion without reading through my review and my own personal conclusion.

The usual disclaimers apply…my ears, my equipment, my listening conditions and my music preferences.

And having said that…let me proceed to reveal my thoughts on these fine headphones…

Build Quality:

Sony has pulled it off again…the build quality on both these headphones is nothing short of fantastic. While the SA1000 is almost entirely plastic it still feels well put together. If you are the kind of person who measures the gap between door and frame on a car before you buy it – you will like the build quality of these headphones. They are floppy…but this is because they are lightweight and flexible. The material used in the ear-pads of the SA1000 feels like a tough fabric and it is very comfortable. It doesn’t grate your skin as you might expect from initial observations and it “breathes” and therefore feels cooler than the leather ear-pads on the SA5000. The SA5000 pads do feel more “comfortable” and “luxurious” and offer a better seal. Between the two headphones, the SA5000 feels sturdier (metal used in the chassis) and doesn’t flop around like the SA1000. It sits *right* on your head and you will forget that it is there if not for the glorious music pouring through…

I think the SA5000 has better build quality than any other headphone I have personally owned. Only the Qualia 010 has better build and materials than the SA5000. The SA1000 is above average and perhaps on par with the HD-650, Omega-2 etc.

Usability:

The SA1000 is just perfect for an entry level audiophile grade headset. I have used it with my Rio Karma, Computer (for gaming and DVDs), dedicated audio equipment etc. and it moves seamlessly. You don’t make a fuss about this headphone because it feels great and is built great. The one side entry cable is also sweet…less prone to snagging. I was initially worried about the two delicate looking loops of cable (from one driver to the other) but I think these are suitably out of the way and will not come to harm through normal usage. The SA1000 can be used for night time listening because it doesn’t slip off the head like the SA5000 which seems more “slick”.

SA5000…well…I never used it with anything other than my dedicated audio rig because it doesn’t feel right. To me the SA5000 is what the R10 is to R10 owners. Apart from a few nuts you will rarely find anyone using an R10 with an mp3 player or computer…(Edwood…please reassure me
tongue.gif
)

I therefore think the SA1000 offers better all-round usability. It is also more “wearable” in hot conditions without making you break sweat around the ears. The cable is WAAAAAY too long for my taste but some people may like this.

Sonic Impressions:

I know many of you have been waiting for this but please don’t feel that I have deliberately delayed the review. I just wanted to be sure and to be sure you need to spend a LOT of time with both headphones. With my current schedule this was a bit difficult but I have used the last weekend and this weekend to work on it and I have something to show
smily_headphones1.gif

SOURCE : SACDMODS Sony SCD-C222-ES
AMP : Kevin Gilmore DYNAHI
ICs : Bogdan Silver Princess with Eichmann Bullet terminations
POWER : Monster Power Conditioner HTS-2500 for source. Amp fed from wall.

MUSIC :

* Medeski Martin and Wood : Last Chance to Dance Trance (Perhaps)
* An evening with Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea
* Sting : Brand New Day
* Eric Clapton : Unplugged
* More coming up…

[size=medium]Medeski Martin and Wood : Last Chance to Dance Trance (Perhaps):[/size]

Track 2: Bubblehouse

[size=small]SA1000:[/size]

Good treble energy but sometimes gets a bit too bright. Snare drum has serious impact but lacks body and sounds anemic and tinny. Bass is good…full-bodied but a bit bloated and lacking in texture. There is a audible midrange suckout which takes away a lot of power from the music. I also observed that the SA1000 needs a notch or two more volume than the SA5000 to deliver the same listening level. The sonic balance is leaning towards treble. Overall sound is thinner than SA5000.

[size=small]SA5000:[/size]

Wow! Much more balance and poise. Clearer treble notes and far superior resolution of instruments and accurace with respect to instrument placement. All this is down to a lush midrange…I never noticed the SA5000 midrange much because I was coming from a HD-650 and Alessandro MS2 background. However over time my ears have re-equalized to the SA-5000 and compared to the SA1000, the SA5000 has midrange in buckets and truckloads. This is a point you will find is repeated over the entire review. What it means is…heh…wait till you see the conclusion…

Track 11: Bemsha Swing / Lively Up Yourself

I love this track…it has some of the best bass guitar you will ever hear. The music is textured and you can feel several aspects of the music…from the bass guitar picking to the piano notes…everything is tangible. However…both the headphones rendered it so differently that I was shocked by the differences. My initial impressions of the SA1000 was that it is close to the SA5000. Well…depending on how you look at it it is pretty close…but from another point of view the gap between them is astronomical.

Bass rip has plenty of body and texture. Overall bass levels are lower than SA5000. Trumpets sound recessed and piano sounds like someone moved the mike away from the trumpets and closer to the piano. From my experience with HD-650 and SA5000 – the converse is true. Oh! There is a definite gain to the midrange ala the Sennheiser HD-595…this is evident on the trumpet notes which can sound glaring and gritty all at the same time. Midrange energy is just not there…overall sonic balance is shifted towards treble.

Excellent bass…you can “feel” the fingering hear the blast of air from the trumpet *blat*. Trumpets sound fantastic…natural…emotive! Balance is squarely on midrange. It is easy to choose what instrument you want to focus on and you can pick it out, isolate it and focus your listening experience on that one instrument. You cannot do this with the SA1000…it lacks the separation.

[size=medium]An Evening with Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea: [/size]

Track 1: Someday My Prince Will Come

Soundstage for the first time becomes evident. It is easier to judge soundstage with a live recording…natural recording. Soundstage is HUGE and it can probably match CD3000 standards. The audience applause is all around me…Piano sounds magnificent and you can feel the keys striking bottom. There is “weight” to the notes on the L channel piano which sounds nearer to the mic than the R channel piano. For the first time the SA1000 sounds really really good…

But that impression was soon to change…

WOW!! SA1000 sounds almost hollow in comparison. Also the low-energy of the SA1000 midrange is painfully evident with this recording. There is just so much information with the SA5000 which is missing out of the SA1000…so much emotion is taken away and replaced with a clinical presentation. I heard something I didn’t really notice out of the SA1000 – There is someone in the audience who is coughing his head off…constantly sniffling, coughing and basically making noises all through the track. This is VERY annoying and what makes it worse is that – with the SA5000 you have the luxury of focusing on him which I did. I was so pissed that I was trying to listen to what else this individual was trying to do and forgot all about the music
mad.gif

Track 2: Liza (All the clouds roll away)

Hmph!
mad.gif
Thinner and less “fleshed out”. The whole experience is airy and light…like drinking diet coke after regular coke – just doesn’t taste right. Overall a very un-involving experience that just leaves me wanting more…there is no substance to the sound. It is good sound – clean with decent bass etc. but there is no emotion…there is no “rush” when you listen to this awesome track with the SA1000.

This is realism folks…just close your eyes and visualize the artistes working away feverishly at the keys…nothing negative to say and nothing more to say because this will soon cease to be a review of a headphone and turn into a music review which is NOT the focus of this exercise.

[size=medium]Sting - Brand New Day:[/size]

Track 1: A Thousand Years

This track used to be my bass test track. There is some overpowering bass which will soon get out of control and flabby in the wrong setup. But it can be very controlled with the right setup. So far ONLY the AKG K-501 has rendered this track’s bass to my satisfaction.

Awesome…the bass performance of this headphone is all the reason to go ahead and pick one up for hoots. Full bodied and deeeeeep bass. BUT once the instruments and vocals catch on…meh! With the midrange blackout of such proportion you really cannot do any “emotional” listening or try to get involved beyond a certain point. But please read the conclusions before you take this in a overly negative way. Sibilance for the first time with these headphones!! Probably a recording issue. Snare drum has kick but sounds too far away and echoey (later observed to be another recording issue). As far as bass is concerned – a winner!!

Again…superb bass and a lush midrange allows you to hear more at lower volumes. With the SA1000 you crank it up to get to the detail but by then the bass is overpowering and the treble is grating. SA5000 treble is a LOT more controlled and refined. Vocals that sounded flat on the SA1000 come alive with the SA5000!! Snare is less extended but again has the echoey sound (later observed with SR-60 as well). Snare drum has a lot more texture than the SA1000.

[size=medium]Eric Clapton – Unplugged:[/size]

Track 1: Signe

Nice soundstage. Cymbals are crystal clear and enjoyable. Presentation is more distant and thinner than SA5000. Balance leans towards treble and bass is abundant but I know there is room for improvement because of what the SA5000 does. Overall “Signe” didn’t really get me grooving the way it usually does. It was a technically correct but emotionally banal performance. The midrange suckout is the root cause of all this negativity.

Bliss! Audience sounds alive and realistic. The midrange is the key and you will not believe me until you personally hear the difference. OMG the guitars are to die for! You can get high on this stuff!! Bass sounds a bit leaner but it is more controlled and the overall balance is almost perfect with a mild emphasis on mids. A much more emotive and involving experience that leaves you clamoring for more!

[size=medium]Conclusion:[/size]

I will be updating this page with more listening impressions over time but I think I have heard enough to pass judgment on these headphones. The SA1000 is a SA5000 that has donated a lot of blood for a good cause. The midrange is just not strong enough to give you a taste of everything that is there to be heard. Without midrange your music is dead…nothing springs up at you and nothing stands out. The tone of both the headphones is the same…this is a qualitative assessment only…quantitatively they both differ on bass, midrange, treble, resolution, clarity, grittiness and various other factors. The SA5000 is definitely superior to the SA1000 and with the new prices around (under $400.00) I don’t think you should hesitate to go for the SA5000.

That said – the SA1000 also appears to be priced around $100.00 in which case it is an excellent bargain headphone.

And now for the clincher…

I LOVE the Grado SR-60s but they don’t stand a chance against the SA1000 for bass, resolution and soundstage. The SR-60 still has a better midrange but this is more because of the lack of soundstage than anything else.

I recommend the SA1000 with a few reservations. This headphone has certain qualities of the SA5000 which make it very attractive given its price. On its own, without direct comparison to the SA5000, it has detail and it is more resolving than any other budget headphone that I can think of. There is plenty of bass and I really enjoy it because it is less “exclusive” and “expensive” feeling than the SA5000 which makes me want to use it more. In my book this is a good thing.

I am glad I have the opportunity to listen to the SA1000, SA3000 and the SA5000 in-house. Though the critical statements I made in the review may not suggest it, I actually dig the SA1000 on their own and I will be buying a pair for myself very soon (once the prices stabilize so that I don’t get hosed again).

I hope this review is helpful.

[size=medium]REMEMBER : There is still the MDR-SA3000 vs SA5000/SA1000 review. I will add that part on in the same post. Images and videos coming up. [/size]

Mar 12, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Hey Gs I would be really interested to hear your opinions on which has the best bass impact.

I'd be willing to bet it's the SA5000, but the question is by how much.

Mar 12, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #11 of 124
C'mon, GS, it's 5:50 am EST, aren't you done yet??!!!
tongue.gif

Looking forward to your impressions, these are definitely on my radar!

Thanks for taking this on....

Mar 12, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #13 of 124
Mmm, sure they look tempting. They might be the real bargain of the line...

Mar 12, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #14 of 124
is there any chance you can throw in the cd3k? Since those are the only high end sony i heard, i like to know where they will compare in the three new SA line.

Mar 12, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #15 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I intend to dissect all these headphones and share my opinions with the rest of HeadFi.

At this point of time I have the SA5000 and the SA1000. The SA1000 is a loaner from PsychoZX of HeadFi. The SA3000 is currently in Japan with Jason and I will wait until he passes it on to me. Hopefully I will have all three together at some point of time but this is something I cannot guarantee.

Head up GS! Thumbs up PschoZX!

I bet Jason is enjoying your SA3000 as of this moment. They're probably burning-in right now.
tongue.gif

Lookin forward to see how price discrepancy will reflect on their sonical performance. I'm NOT worried too much about the build quality, because Sony is definately leading in this field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back