SONY R10- Is cult statis deserved- or not??
Nov 28, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #61 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari

Unless you are a power whore who turns the AC on full blast
tongue.gif
LOL

Central air dude. Best investment you'll ever make. It's 70-75 degrees in my house all year long.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #62 of 228
Quote:

R10 and CD3000 get too hot in Florida. Only in November, December, Jan and Feb is the weather pleasant enough to consider wearing these headphones for long periods of time.

Unless you are a power whore who turns the AC on full blast
tongue.gif
LOL

I do not feel them so hot, of course velvet will be less hot, but wear more easy, also I live in a controled temp house with about 72 degrees all the time, AC or Heater, will make it 72 degrees, OTOH the Grados squeeze the hell out of my hears, the one who called the "Grato" was a genious man, IMO!!!!
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #63 of 228
aircon is too noisy and I find the sound offensive. I turn off water heater, aircon, filament lamps, computers, UPSes, Fax machine, mobile phone EVERYTHING - when I sit down to listen to music
wink.gif

I love the pillow fit of the CD3000 and R10 and prefer the tigher headband of the R10.

Still - the MOST comfortable headphone for me = Beyerdynamic DT-880, K1000 and third Stax Omega 2

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #64 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
I feel the R-10 just fine with me, bass and everyhting was right, and I like bass, I ahve bassboost in my PPA, and I use it, so I'm pretty sure that the people that complain about the bass on the R-10, is just becasue of hearing it in bad setups, or at least not synergistic ones...the bass is the R-10 is extremelly good and detailed....

To be fair, The bass in the R10s are actually probably a problem. Which is why you need a certain setup to really make them sound their best. But considering Mikhail makes the R10 mod to his amps for free, it's certainly worth it. I think really the only problem with R10s bass though is the amount of it. It is really detailed, but take out the amount, and it would sound kinda small and smooshed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #65 of 228
Quote:

aircon is too noisy and I find the sound offensive. I turn off water heater, aircon, filament lamps, computers, UPSes, Fax machine, mobile phone EVERYTHING - when I sit down to listen to music
wink.gif

I love the pillow fit of the CD3000 and R10 and prefer the tigher headband of the R10.

Still - the MOST comfortable headphone for me = Beyerdynamic DT-880, K1000 and third Stax Omega 2

Have you heard of central air? It's an air conditioning system that stretches through your entire hourse and keeps the house cooled/warmed by releasing heat/air through vents in each room. The "central" part of it sits outside your house so you don't hear anythin but a VERY slight humming when it's on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #66 of 228
Sov - I didnt know you had the R10
eek.gif
Nice going
wink.gif

Sincerely - R10 out of PPA was trash. Terrible combo. Zero dynamics and restricted soundstage.

R10 + Maestro on the other hand
basshead.gif
Pushes all the right buttons, looks like a million bucks...perfetto!

CD-3000 + Woo Audio 1/3 (in my experience) - NO sibilance. Clean Crystal sound with mega bass (no funky bass boost) and breathtaking detail without a gritty edge.

So far - out of all the amps I heard - the Woo Audio was the best match for the CD-3000 and it also costs about the same
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #67 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by WulfmanJax
To be fair, The bass in the R10s are actually probably a problem. Which is why you need a certain setup to really make them sound their best. But considering Mikhail makes the R10 mod to his amps for free, it's certainly worth it. I think really the only problem with R10s bass though is the amount of it. It is really detailed, but take out the amount, and it would sound kinda small and smooshed.
smily_headphones1.gif

The bass is a problem in almost any headphone, dude, to get a driver give you the 20Hz octave is not easy, ones try to give it to you, but boomy, I do not feel the Bass a problem on them honestly, I hear them in a few amps, and all of them make it sound right ot me....OTOH, in case I do not feel it that way, I personally do not feel the use of an EQ or a tone network, an offense....The R-10 deserves to make an amp just for it...thanks God, now the Corda amps and some others manufacturers are fixing the flaw of the lack of tone networks in their amps....

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #68 of 228
Quote:

Sov - I didnt know you had the R10
eek.gif
Nice going
wink.gif

Sincerely - R10 out of PPA was trash. Terrible combo. Zero dynamics and restricted soundstage.

R10 + Maestro on the other hand
basshead.gif
Pushes all the right buttons, looks like a million bucks...perfetto!

CD-3000 + Woo Audio 1/3 (in my experience) - NO sibilance. Clean Crystal sound with mega bass (no funky bass boost) and breathtaking detail without a gritty edge.

So far - out of all the amps I heard - the Woo Audio was the best match for the CD-3000 and it also costs about the same
smily_headphones1.gif

I wish to have it, I just hear it, with very good recordings that I'm familiar with, and sorry, I fell in love with it, if any, this will be my next step, sorry, and my only one, to the date, sorry, no other headphone make it for me like those!!!

Guru talking of a PPA like that, knowing that the PPA is a project and not an amp (com'on!!! you are an educated fellow) is a little on the rough side, and IMHO an statemnt that you will reconsider make in the future again, not all PPAs sound alike as you may know.....don't you think???

My PPA (not any PPA as usual) + R10 was as nice as the Maestro and Supra and Cary300 in that meet (to my ears, if not better (due the dial o bass) IMHO of course as usual) and it was hooked on a Sony SACD alone, while the Maestro and the Supra were hooked to a Mark Levinson DAC....the dynamis were there and the soundstage was magic...not sure what PPA you heard...
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #69 of 228
Quote:

I wish to have it, I just hear it, with very good recordings that I'm familiar with, and sorry, I fell in love with it, if any, this will be my next step, sorry, and my only one, to the date, sorry, no other headphone make it for me like those!!!

Guru talking of a PPA like that, knowing that the PPA is a project and not an amp (com'on!!! you are an educated fellow) is a little on the rough side, and IMHO an statemnt that you will reconsider make in the future again, not all PPAs sound alike as you may know.....don't you think???

My PPA (not any PPA as usual) + R10 was as nice as the Maestro and Supra and Cary300 in that meet (to my ears, if not better (due the dial o bass) IMHO of course as usual) and it was hooked on a Sony SACD alone, while the Maestro and the Supra were hooked to a Mark Levinson DAC....the dynamis were there and the soundstage was magic...not sure what PPA you heard...
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

How much better is the Maestro than the Supra? I've only heard the Supra and have been thoroughly blown away but will probably, eventually, one day many, many years from now upgrade.
icon10.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #70 of 228
Quote:

The bass is a problem in almost any headphone, dude, to get a driver give you the 20Hz octave is not easy, ones try to give it to you, but boomy, I do not feel the Bass a problem on them honestly, I hear them in a few amps, and all of them make it sound right ot me....OTOH, in case I do not feel it that way, I personally do not feel the use of an EQ or a tone network, an offense....The R-10 deserves to make an amp just for it...thanks God, now the Corda amps and some others manufacturers are fixing the flaw of the lack of tone networks in their amps....

This is where we differ i guess because if i was someone and wanted simply the best headphones in terms of bass, the PS-1 would be it, hands down. Even over the modded Supra/R-10s. But since i'm not a bass not and rather a mid-high/soundstage/tone/detail nut, the R10s are perfect for me. I seriously don't know how you could put down the bass on the PS-1s. They blew me away, but overall they just weren't worth it (for me).

Also, to the original poster: i think you have to consider that sound is really subjective. One man's trash is another's treasure. I think you have to know what you like/want to find your treasure. Based on your description of what you like i'd never recommend the R10s to you but rather the Omega IIs or Qualias.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #71 of 228
Quote:

How much better is the Maestro than the Supra? I've only heard the Supra and have been thoroughly blown away but will probably, eventually, one day many, many years from now upgrade.
icon10.gif

Well, I was not blown away by any of the two, I know that probably this is not what you want ot hear, and I was expecting and looking for that, actually, I was not blown away by any of the amps there, not to the point that make me change my humble PPA for them, and pay a few times more for them, OTOH I was more impressed by the humble Solo, I'm not a big fan of the tube amps...I have to admit that, sorry....

Nov 28, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #72 of 228
Quote:

This is where we differ i guess because if i was someone and wanted simply the best headphones in terms of bass, the PS-1 would be it, hands down. Even over the modded Supra/R-10s. But since i'm not a bass not and rather a mid-high/soundstage/tone/detail nut, the R10s are perfect for me. I seriously don't know how you could put down the bass on the PS-1s. They blew me away, but overall they just weren't worth it (for me).

Also, to the original poster: i think you have to consider that sound is really subjective. One man's trash is another's treasure. I think you have to know what you like/want to find your treasure. Based on your description of what you like i'd never recommend the R10s to you but rather the Omega IIs or Qualias.
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually you already answered your own question there (in bold), we all hear differently and we all are looking for different things in music, and the bass of the PS-1 is not what I'm looking for sorry, it reminded me the DT700 to a certain degree...

Nov 28, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #73 of 228
Quote:

Actually you already answered your own question there (in bold), we all hear differently and we all are looking for different things in music, and the bass of the PS-1 is not what I'm looking for sorry, it reminded me the DT700 to a certain degree...

Haha, i guess i did. But if we all agreed to that, there'd be very little to discuss.
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #74 of 228
Quote:

Well, I was not blown away by any of the two, I know that probably this is not what you want ot hear, and I was expecting and looking for that, actually, I was not blown away by any of the amps there, not to the point that make me change my humble PPA for them, and pay a few times more for them, OTOH I was more impressed by the humble Solo, I'm not a big fan of the tube amps...I have to admit that, sorry....

Well, ok then. I'm a tube nut. Have been ever since i heard my first cheap tube amp way back when i was 10 or so at my Uncle's house. Once again, just personal preference. I would love to get a good review from someone who's heard both a good amount though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #75 of 228
Quote:

IMO the two Grados I have tried, the HP-1000 and PS-1 both have problems with the bass, pretty boomy and too pronuounced IMO, to be considered as normal or good, so I don't know what kind of standards are you referring...

If the RS1 falls into that same category, then I guess I am just someone who likes boomy bass
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Seriously though, the RS1s through this ANT amp I have here are something pretty special in the bass department, undoubtedly not top flight by any means, but to say that this is boomy... give me boomy any day of the week, at least it sounds - partway convincing
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back