SONY R10- Is cult statis deserved- or not??
Nov 27, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #46 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
threads like this only make me realize even more what diamonds in the rough that stax 404s are!!!!!!!

Well Nik preffer the Qualias even to the Omegas, and I don't think that the Omegas will fall short in front of the 404....
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #47 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Well Nik preffer the Qualias even to the Omegas, and I don't think that the Omegas will fall short in front of the 404....
biggrin.gif

Actually some people prefer the 404 over the omega 2 and I think they had bass related issues with the Omega 2.

Those 404's are something special...best value in the Stax lineup

Nov 27, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #48 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
The problem with this is "right off the bat". I wouldn't make comments about any headphones with one audition even if all components were good.

I don't really like the R10 in the many setups I've heard so it's nearly case closed for me. I'm not going to spend a lot of time tweaking and searching for a "match" when I havn't liked it much from the start. I believe you might as well start off on the right foot.

I really have to agree with this comment. Considering burn-in, personal sonic preferences. If it doesn't grab my balls within the first 10 minutes it never will. At least with the initial impression after burn-in it is going to improve whatever amount but the first 10 minutes are crucial to decide whether I keep it or not.

Nov 27, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #49 of 228
Quote:

Hi Nik:
I don't know what your preferences are, but I have heard the Qualia, not with the RP010, but out of good amps and setups, and honestly I don't know how the heck you prefer the Qualia to the R-10? It sounded so weird to me, maybe it was a lack of burn in, but have you ever tried the R-10 "again" out of the RP010 amp and compare both "again"....
Maybe you liked open cans, but IMO there is something weird like a echo, or a reberveration, I feel like inside a big room with no furniture or a big cave, that kind of feeling, listening to the Qualias, about the sound quality it was fine, the sound was extremelly detailed, the extension was OK, all was there, and in a very nice presentation, but just that unusual effect, the music was like filtered by that effect, honestly that make me prefer the R-10...but again preferences are all about....

Hi Al,

I cannot believe that any reverberation or echo are in the performance of the Qualia, I find those effects in the R10, yes, the tipycall effect of some closed cans. I compared the CD 3000 with my RP010 and I find a bit colored and boomy in the bass and med-bass, as the R10 but a bit less...

I find the Qualia the most precise and accurate sound in headphones today. This is my experience.

Best!
Nicola

Nov 27, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #50 of 228
Quote:

threads like this only make me realize even more what diamonds in the rough that stax 404s are!!!!!!!

You know, this is so true! The HD650/Zu or Sliver Dragon is sort of the 404 equivalent in terms of value on the dynamic side. They both come so close to the performance of their much more costly counterparts that it's not even funny. So often, these kinds of threads can get carried away on what is the best of the best of the best that we lose sight of the "leave well enough alone" and enjoy the music concept.

But the R10's and Omega II's are better.
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #51 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
Well,they do derserve "Cult" status but that is not a real measure of how good or bad they might be. Look at some of the stuff that you find popular among die-hard fans. I'm talking movies,books and yes, even audio gear. I'll likely eventually buy R10s but I doubt I'd ever call them reference quality or make them my main phones. They sound great to me but they certainly have a strong signature and do things their own way.

Couldnt agree more, applies to everything.

White Zombie Early music
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #52 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Hi Al,

I cannot believe that any reverberation or echo are in the performance of the Qualia, I find those effects in the R10, yes, the typical effect of some closed cans. I compared the CD 3000 with my RP010 and I find a bit colored and boomy in the bass and med-bass, as the R10 but a bit less...

I find the Qualia the most precise and accurate sound in headphones today. This is my experience.

Best!
Nicola

Nik:
I would like to hear it out of your RP010, honestly, it sounded weird to me, I'm not used to that kind of sound at least, too open, I could hear all what was happening on the room around me, and I feel that cavern effect, not sure if it was as a consequence of the closed room in which we were all together, and talking, and exchanging impressions, or maybe was something else, but I'm not able to describe it accurately, one thing is sure, it did not sound as the rest of the headphones there, not even the K-1000 that is completely open, is something really new to me, a real new sound, or a new presentation at least, maybe with more time, and with more burn in (I noticed that one of them sounded considerably different to the other two, like more closer to the sound we are used to, the bass was more full and bodied, so probably this one was more burned in, or completely burned in, remember that in that store, the headphones are not used as we use ours) I don't know, maybe I need to hear them again, one of these days I will jump again there....

Nov 27, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #53 of 228
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Actually some people prefer the 404 over the omega 2 and I think they had bass related issues with the Omega 2.

Finally voices of reason!

I let them argue about which mega buck headphone is actually worth the asking price, real answer is none of course, and I only say this since I own the Stax 404s.

Nov 28, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #54 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by fbhifi
With the bass problem corrected- the R10s would probably be my choice over the 650 / Cardas combo, even considering the VAST difference in price. But at this point- I can't get past the bass response.

Mikhail at Singlepower makes a mod to his amps JUST for the R10s to fix the bass problem and enhance the overall performance of them. I had a Supra custom made for the R10s and let me tell you mine have ABSOLUTELY NO BASS PROBLEM! It still isn't up to higher-end Grado bass standards, but it was better than the 650s (and i had several people listen and they all agreed).
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #55 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by WulfmanJax
Mikhail at Singlepower makes a mod to his amps JUST for the R10s to fix the bass problem and enhance the overall performance of them. I had a Supra custom made for the R10s and let me tell you mine have ABSOLUTELY NO BASS PROBLEM! It still isn't up to higher-end Grado bass standards, but it was better than the 650s (and i had several people listen and they all agreed).
smily_headphones1.gif

IMO the two Grados I have tried, the HP-1000 and PS-1 both have problems with the bass, pretty boomy and too pronuounced IMO, to be considered as normal or good, so I don't know what kind of standards are you referring...

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #56 of 228
Quote:

IMO the two Grados I have tried, the HP-1000 and PS-1 both have problems with the bass, pretty boomy and too pronuounced IMO, to be considered as normal or good, so I don't know what kind of standards are you referring...

eek.gif

Oh man!! This is NOT what I heard with the said headphones. I found R-10 and CD-3000 to have a squashy/wallowy bass. If an old cadillac was a headphone bass response then the R-10, CD3K sounds like that Caddy being pushed hard through a slalom course with a super-soft suspension setup
biggrin.gif

HP1, PS1 are incredibly balanced sounding. The PS-1 deviates a little from normal Grado sound which is light and agile and becomes authoritative and commanding. This comes off as "overly bassy" but it is not so to my ears.

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #57 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
eek.gif

HP1, PS1 are incredibly balanced sounding. The PS-1 deviates a little from normal Grado sound which is light and agile and becomes authoritative and commanding. This comes off as "overly bassy" but it is not so to my ears.

One more time we could see that what is good and balanced for ones, is not for others, IMO both, comfort appart are extremelly dull, and on the bassy side, (PS-1 get the crown there IMO, unbearable IMO) Also non of them will be considered never for me as a reference for anything...but this is just me...I know that others will swear on them...IMO the R-10 and CD3000, both, offer a much better bass quality, than this boomy presentation, again paired with the right amp.....but this was just according to my short experience with them...but as comfort is also a must inm my case, end of the story for me, don't like the sound, and over this, don't like the comfort....
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:20 AM Post #58 of 228
Quote:

I've heard the PS-1s and the bass was certainly pronounced, but i didn't find it boomy at all. It was almost as detailed as the R10s, but there was just so damn much of it... It kocked me out of my seat.
icon10.gif
If i loved a ton of bass in my sound, the PS-1s would be my dream cans. But in everything else the R10s were moderately to highly better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #59 of 228
R10 and CD3000 get too hot in Florida. Only in November, December, Jan and Feb is the weather pleasant enough to consider wearing these headphones for long periods of time.

Unless you are a power whore who turns the AC on full blast
tongue.gif
LOL

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #60 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by WulfmanJax
I've heard the PS-1s and the bass was certainly pronounced, but i didn't find it boomy at all. It was almost as detailed as the R10s, but there was just so damn much of it... It kocked me out of my seat.
icon10.gif
If i loved a ton of bass in my sound, the PS-1s would be my dream cans. But in everything else the R10s were moderately to highly better.
smily_headphones1.gif

I feel the R-10 just fine with me, bass and everyhting was right, and I like bass, I ahve bassboost in my PPA, and I use it, so I'm pretty sure that the people that complain about the bass on the R-10, is just becasue of hearing it in bad setups, or at least not synergistic ones...the bass is the R-10 is extremelly good and detailed....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back