SONY R10- Is cult statis deserved- or not??
Nov 26, 2004 at 12:41 PM Post #31 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar

5) Relax and drink Beer

tongue.gif
tongue.gif

That prob the step that makes them sound so heavenly
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2004 at 2:09 PM Post #32 of 228
Hello guys I thought I might make a comment.One thing I have learned from reading the above thread is that the intrest in the R-10s is not even there for me.I have the HD-650 HD-580 and had the HD-600 and while they may not be the best phones in the world i didnt pay the most in the world.I guess in all the reading I have done on this sight this thread more then any other answers a question I have thought about that if you can even compare the two phones at all why would I spend 2 or 3 thousand more even if I had the money to throw away I wouldnt for that kind of money the one shoud be so much better or as some say in a league of there own.If they really were this thread wouldnt even be here.Just a thought

Nov 26, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #33 of 228
I now have a R10 for some month now finally..
Ok the Bass hmm ok it is with my rather expensive EAR Hp4 not good too...
and it is a little bit coloured in the mids
but at first bass is the most unimportant frequency span for me ...
you should remember that the R10 was first produced in 1988 so the design is around 16 years old compare it to 16 year old designs and tell me if you can find a better one...
in his time he was no doubt the king of headphones...
in 1990 the the orpheus came up...
in 1993 the stax omega II..

so consider it as a living legend
or a fallen king
that is still excellent but my be not the top..
i think i bought it becouse it is really good and
in my eyes the most beautifull headphone...
and the most comfortable to wear

if i would only care about sound i would perhaps had bought a Q10 or maybe an omegaII with a custom amp...

but what is as ugly as sin headphone worth for me nothing...

so if you only juge the pure as accurate as possible sound reproduction go for something as an omega and be happy

i will be happy with the headphone of which i have dreamed so long
eggosmile.gif

Nov 26, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #34 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
eggosmile.gif

LOL

I wonder what is next. Koss KSC-35 is better than HD-650?

Stanton DJ2000 is better than Sennheiser Orpheus?

The HD-650 is a VERY capable headphone and requires a good amplifier. Give it a Rudistor RP5 / RP6 and you will realize what they can do. I rate it 2nd best headphone in the world even though I am currently having a love affair with a certain Alessandro MS2.

That said - is the R10 for everyone? No...I think it is a good headphone but this is partly because of my expectations of it. I think it is an underperformer for its price...it is probably worth $500 sonically.

I stated that after some experience Guru, no need of being sarcastic.....the KCS35 is a headphone for the use it was designed, not to be compared with the rest....please..!!!

BTW if you like the HD650, it is fine with me, many members like it, my word is not the only one and it is not the only one to be considered, it is another opinion more of the bunch, period.....but I did not like it, I heard it using the Zu Mobious, and hooked on the Maestro, via SACD-1000 as a transport, and a Mark Levinson DAC, is this not a good setup? What do you think? Is yours better?
Later on the Supra, on the Melos modded by Carlo, the Cary 300, my PPA, and the Solo, in non of them it sounded fine to my taste, I didn't like it...period...(the same happen with the PS-1 and HP-1000 BTW....) That is why I believe it is a matter of preference.

Is it a capable headphone? For others maybe, not for me, too dull IMO....Is it a good headphone? Yes.....Is it comparable to others like CD3000 and K-1000? In MY OPINION not even close...BTW both the CD3000 and K-1000 are similar in price and very good headphones even to the people that do not like them...this is nothing extraordinary, not a shame...

IMO of the ones there, PS-1, HP-1000, HD650, CD3000, K-1000, and other AKG IIRC the 501, the only that came close to the R-10, because of the presentation, sonic signature and resolution, IME was the CD3000 and maybe the K-1000 as a second, for my personal taste....the R-10 is my dream period, I fell in love with it.

IMO the ones who do not like the CD3000 will have problems with the R-10 as well, the R-10 do everything better than the CD3000, but the presentation IMO is very similar just with more body, and more euphonic, very nice indeed, it is like the CD3000 on steroids, but their sound is not closer to any other headphone...(well I have not tried the ATs)

As I stated on the RP31 thread, sometimes to get that little more in audio, given certain point, you have to pay big bucks, this is the case of the R-10 IMO, to what point are you wiling to pay for it? This is the question, I do not have the money to go for it, but the day I do, I will not hesitate honestly, and I will be more that happy, and I will die believing that I have the best headphone in the world, after having heard these others....
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 26, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #35 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jafp23
I now have a R10 for some month now finally..
Ok the Bass hmm ok it is with my rather expensive EAR Hp4 not good too...
and it is a little bit coloured in the mids
but at first bass is the most unimportant frequency span for me ...
you should remember that the R10 was first produced in 1988 so the design is around 16 years old compare it to 16 year old designs and tell me if you can find a better one...
in his time he was no doubt the king of headphones...
in 1990 the the orpheus came up...
in 1993 the stax omega II..

so consider it as a living legend
or a fallen king
that is still excellent but my be not the top..
i think i bought it becouse it is really good and
in my eyes the most beautifull headphone...
and the most comfortable to wear

if i would only care about sound i would perhaps had bought a Q10 or maybe an omegaII with a custom amp...

but what is as ugly as sin headphone worth for me nothing...

so if you only juge the pure as accurate as possible sound reproduction go for something as an omega and be happy

i will be happy with the headphone of which i have dreamed so long
eggosmile.gif

The Qualia 010 is more confortable than the R10.

The Qualia 010 is more accurate sound than the Omega II.

Congrats for your dream can (R10) !

Best!
Nicola

Nov 26, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #38 of 228
On topic note.

I think many people that react negatively to the R10's bass right off the bat, have either:

1. Heard the R10's in a mismatched system.
2. Are used to boomy/full bass.
3. Have not taken to the time to hear the detail in the bass that they have not heard before.

I often pair adjectives describing frequency characteristics, as it is such a subjective rating. for instance, boomy/full The same sound can sound boomy to one person, and full to another.
Same goes for neutral/boring, fatiguing/viseral.

-Ed

Nov 26, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #39 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I think many people that react negatively to the R10's bass right off the bat, have either:

The problem with this is "right off the bat". I wouldn't make comments about any headphones with one audition even if all components were good.

I don't really like the R10 in the many setups I've heard so it's nearly case closed for me. I'm not going to spend a lot of time tweaking and searching for a "match" when I havn't liked it much from the start. I believe you might as well start off on the right foot.

Nov 26, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #40 of 228
Post deleted due to ramblings while being slightly more inebriated than I am now. It made some sense but perhaps I can phrase it a lot better the next time this topic comes up in discussion.

Nov 26, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #42 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I don't really like the R10 in the many setups I've heard so it's nearly case closed for me. I'm not going to spend a lot of time tweaking and searching for a "match" when I havn't liked it much from the start. I believe you might as well start off on the right foot.

I think this is the main point, if you do not like a headphone since the begining, simply it is not for you, get another, we have plenty of options, but to tweak looking for a miracle is just insane, tweaks are just that little changes, IMO any tweak will make you love or hate anything, love love more, or hate more...period....just my two cents....

Nov 27, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #43 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
On topic note.

1. Heard the R10's in a mismatched system.
2. Are used to boomy/full bass.
3. Have not taken to the time to hear the detail in the bass that they have not heard before.

I often pair adjectives describing frequency characteristics, as it is such a subjective rating. for instance, boomy/full The same sound can sound boomy to one person, and full to another.
Same goes for neutral/boring, fatiguing/viseral.

-Ed

I do not remember how many amps I had for the R10... at the last experiment I (finally) understood that the "problem" was the can !

Best!
Nicola

Nov 27, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #44 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I do not remember how many amps I had for the R10... at the last experiment I (finally) understood that the "problem" was the can !

Best!
Nicola

Hi Nik:
I don't know what your preferences are, but I have heard the Qualia, not with the RP010, but out of good amps and setups, and honestly I don't know how the heck you prefer the Qualia to the R-10? It sounded so weird to me, maybe it was a lack of burn in, but have you ever tried the R-10 "again" out of the RP010 amp and compare both "again"....
Maybe you liked open cans, but IMO there is something weird like a echo, or a reberveration, I feel like inside a big room with no furniture or a big cave, that kind of feeling, listening to the Qualias, about the sound quality it was fine, the sound was extremelly detailed, the extension was OK, all was there, and in a very nice presentation, but just that unusual effect, the music was like filtered by that effect, honestly that make me prefer the R-10...but again preferences are all about....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back