Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Nov 14, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #1,696 of 1,922
Curiously, why would you want a new stack for office? Wouldn't a good DAP suffice?

Hi, thanks for the question. All this started with Audeze's iSine 20 when I was looking around for better earphones. So began the journey into computer audio..

I didn't consider a DAP because I only listen at my desk and I don't need portability. While I am impressed with what the Sony WM1Z, Fiio X7 and AK380 can do, and I have listened to an WM1Z with its internal cabling upgraded, it's unlikely I will go that route.

As for my office stack, I am aware of equipment creep. The iFi iUSB Nano would be another box in the chain.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #1,697 of 1,922
Hi, thanks for the question. All this started with Audeze's iSine 20 when I was looking around for better earphones. So began the journey into computer audio..

I didn't consider a DAP because I only listen at my desk and I don't need portability. While I am impressed with what the Sony WM1Z, Fiio X7 and AK380 can do, and I have listened to an WM1Z with its internal cabling upgraded, it's unlikely I will go that route.

As for my office stack, I am aware of equipment creep. The iFi iUSB Nano would be another box in the chain.
Ah ok. I’m fine with the WM1A in Office because I also do bring it around with me around the office.

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #1,698 of 1,922
Question: I have a PHA-3 that I use with my laptop in the office. Love it, btw.

I want to switch over to using my Walkman and/or iPhone 7. My laptop is needed for actual work.

For the Walkman: where can I find a WM-PORT cable that has the little nub on it so the PHA-3 (might?) charge my Walkman, when the PHA-3 is plugged into suitable power? I want a longer one than what came in the box, which is only suitable for strapping the Walkman on top.

And, yes, I've been searching but I can't find anything on the inner-tubes.

Thanks!

Dec 17, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #1,700 of 1,922
What is a good Sony player to use as a digital-out transport to drive my PHA-3...good user interface, wide enough to NOT fall between the rubber rails on the PHA-3 ( as my NWZ-A15 does!), and does not have me paying a lot for an unused great DAC or amp (e.g., the NW-WM1A), the functions of which are performed by my PHA-3? Thanks!
Sony NW-A45 ? Wide enough. Handle all major formats on its own, lasts from battery like there is no tomorrow and outputs bit-perfectly from WM-port using stock PHA3 WM-port to microUSB adapter. and price... 200$ or so (you can pay 100$ more for a bundle of higher inner storage player capacity + iems that cost 100$+ on its own)

i have had a choice and decided to stick with NW-A45. stays perfectly on a rails but i prefer that stock rubber pad + stock rubber bands to keep it in place... otherwise i would just forget about that pad and forget it somewhere.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #1,701 of 1,922
Sony NW-A45 ? Wide enough. Handle all major formats on its own, lasts from battery like there is no tomorrow and outputs bit-perfectly from WM-port using stock PHA3 WM-port to microUSB adapter. and price... 200$ or so (you can pay 100$ more for a bundle of higher inner storage player capacity + iems that cost 100$+ on its own)

i have had a choice and decided to stick with NW-A45. stays perfectly on a rails but i prefer that stock rubber pad + stock rubber bands to keep it in place... otherwise i would just forget about that pad and forget it somewhere.
Thanks! I actually had spotted that after asking my question and was seriously considering it. It comes in my favorite color RED as well!

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #1,702 of 1,922
Thanks! I actually had spotted that after asking my question and was seriously considering it. It comes in my favorite color RED as well!

Yeah... I am onboard with an NW-A45 as soon as they are for sale in the US. I really love the PHA-3 for transportable use.

Jan 5, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #1,704 of 1,922
hello,
is there a way to get a bigger capacity battery inside pha3 (kind of upgrade)?
current one lasts around 5-6 (approximately) hours over digital connection (and over 15 hours over analog)...
i use it with iphone 8 plus since apple ditched 3.5mm out.

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #1,705 of 1,922
hello,
is there a way to get a bigger capacity battery inside pha3 (kind of upgrade)?
current one lasts around 5-6 (approximately) hours over digital connection (and over 15 hours over analog)...
i use it with iphone 8 plus since apple ditched 3.5mm out.
Triple stack, i have a portable battery pack i add when the light start blinking. Work great for me i'm able to move around the house

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #1,706 of 1,922
hi, i have weird problem with pha3.

what i did:
played from pha3 mostly from single ended output for some time (since i bought it). balanced have around few hours max on it.

so the issue is:
single ended sounds right. balanced left channel sounds the way single ended sounds but the right channel sounds different. just different.
i got new balanced headphones (dt770 80ohm miniXLR 4pin modded by peterek) and by first i thought that they have channel imbalance. and then i tried single ended. swapping jacks (left in right port and vice verse) lead to the same effect where left jack output from pha3 is sounds proper and right is not.

questions:
does pha3 use same amp for left channel in balanced mode and single ended output?
could i hit... the burn in 'issue'? so i burned in one amp but second is untouched ;/

does anyone have a proper photo of sony pha3 internals/layout?

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #1,707 of 1,922
hi, i have weird problem with pha3.

what i did:
played from pha3 mostly from single ended output for some time (since i bought it). balanced have around few hours max on it.

so the issue is:
single ended sounds right. balanced left channel sounds the way single ended sounds but the right channel sounds different. just different.
i got new balanced headphones (dt770 80ohm miniXLR 4pin modded by peterek) and by first i thought that they have channel imbalance. and then i tried single ended. swapping jacks (left in right port and vice verse) lead to the same effect where left jack output from pha3 is sounds proper and right is not.

questions:
does pha3 use same amp for left channel in balanced mode and single ended output?
could i hit... the burn in 'issue'? so i burned in one amp but second is untouched ;/

does anyone have a proper photo of sony pha3 internals/layout?

Separate amp sections , I'd start with burning in the balanced o/p in stages. Try leaving it on overnight playing on lowish volume, mine didn't settle in properly till around the 250/300 hour mark.

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #1,708 of 1,922
Separate amp sections , I'd start with burning in the balanced o/p in stages. Try leaving it on overnight playing on lowish volume, mine didn't settle in properly till around the 250/300 hour mark.
thank you. i will try leaving it playing overnight or just leaving it still playing on low volume for a while.

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #1,709 of 1,922
i would say that problem is little by little goes away.
i played it for around 7h~+ and it was still present. so i increased volume to the max and let it run for another 3-4 hours more.
now it became a bit better (difference became less noticeable between left and right channels).

thank you. i will let it run over night for the next few weeks over night and use it daily as is and will post again when it completely goes away.

lesson learned - burn in sony (why would they need burning in is another question) hardware from balanced output.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #1,710 of 1,922
How does the sound quality of the WM1A compare to that of the Sony PHA-3? They are of similar price, once you add a digital source such as the Sony A35 to the PHA-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back