Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
May 21, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #871 of 1,929
I'm not sure if you can use ASIO output with CEntrance. Have you tried WASAPI output?

No, you can not use ASIO.  only brought that up because wanted to point out pha3 still works.  CEntrance was just a plug and go thing...i was able to do it as PRIMARY and/or selecting CEtrance on output....it no longer works right now.

May 21, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #872 of 1,929

I have XLR terminated balanced cables for my LCD3 and HD800, so I cannot try it on the PHA3.  bummer!

Surf Cables has cables for Pono that will also work with the PHA-3. The P-03 is female XLR to dual 3.5mm male.

http://www.surfcables.com/products/ponoplayer-cables?variant=1083067039

May 24, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #873 of 1,929
  Here is my configuration of foobar2000 for upsampling to DSD256 on-the-fly

I presume foobar2000 and Sony PHA-3 ASIO driver are installed.

Components used:
SoX resampler ( http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?s=67eb254fcb55c113709821d94d801774&showtopic=67373&view=findpost&p=600000 )
There are 3 versions. Normal, mod and mod2. You can download all 3, but we need just mod and mod2.

ASIO support ( http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio )

Super Audio CD Decoder ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_dsd_asio/ )
Grab the latest version (as of writing this foo_input_sacd-0.7.8.zip ) and extract it. You will get ASIOProxyInstall-0.7.2.exe. Install this following on-screen instructions. You will also get foo_input_sacd.fb2k-component.

Load all components to foobar2000.
At foobar2000
File > Preferences > Playback > DSP Manager load both Resampler (SoX) mod and Resampler (SoX) mod2

Select Resampler (SoX) mod and click Configure selected. This is for sampling rate 44,1k and multiples. Don't forget set quality to Best.

Select Resampler (SoX) mod2 and click Configure selected. This is for sampling rate 48k and multiples. Don't forget set quality to Best.

File > Preferences > Tools > SACD set Output Mode to DSD

File > Preferences > Playback > Output > ASIO select Run with high process priority, if you are running 64-bit system select also Use 64-bit ASIO drivers

double-click foo_dsd_asio

File > Preferences > Playback > Output select ASIO: foo_dsd_asio as Device. I use Buffer length 50 ms.

That's all. During playback both PHA-3's LEDs, Hi-Fs and DSD, should lights up.

You can try this free DSD64 sample Michel Godard MONTEVERDI: A trace of grace www.hifistatement.info/download_godard/A_Trace_Of_Grace_1-28.dff

When I try this, my PHA-3 has Hi-FS and DSD light up on CD quality flacs.  Hi-res flacs only show Hi-FS....so question is why is normal flac lighting up both lights

ADD: I also can't play, at least for now, 1 album at all.  It plays through on foobar but has no volume / sount out put what so ever.  Other apps play that album, including Media Go.

May 31, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #874 of 1,929
Grr, i really need help with the foobar setup, it's only getting worse and worse.  now flacs (NQ) and dsd files have static noises (i can't even make out the music).  HQ flacs are perfectly fine though, still.  yes, i did uninstall foobar and reinstalled

May 31, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #875 of 1,929
  Grr, i really need help with the foobar setup, it's only getting worse and worse.  now flacs (NQ) and dsd files have static noises (i can't even make out the music).  HQ flacs are perfectly fine though, still.  yes, i did uninstall foobar and reinstalled

My usage on Foobar now is without any upsampling, couldn't hear the difference. And not using any Resampler and leave DSD to PCM/PCM to DSD method to none. Only need it to support DSD files.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #876 of 1,929
Jun 18, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #878 of 1,929
  how does the sony pha2 comapre to pha 3 besides the balanced output

Anyone?  I have the 2 and would like to know if it's worth the upgrade.  I truly enjoy the sound of 2.

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #879 of 1,929
What headphones do you have? The answer might vary depending on if your phones can use the balanced output of the PHA-3.  I have a pair of Z7s, and I was debating between the PHA-2 or 3.  But, the balanced connections on the 3 have sealed that decision for me.

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #880 of 1,929
  What headphones do you have? The answer might vary depending on if your phones can use the balanced output of the PHA-3.  I have a pair of Z7s, and I was debating between the PHA-2 or 3.  But, the balanced connections on the 3 have sealed that decision for me.

Nice name.  I will be using it on my 1964 V8 and ASG 2.5.  Both have a 2 pin connection.  I wonder if a balanced signal will be that much of an improvement. 

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #881 of 1,929

The Z7 is amazing through balanced out of the PHA 3.

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #883 of 1,929
Has anyone experimented with different transports and cables with the PHA 3?  How much difference does the "transport" really make?.  I"m currently using Ipod Touch 5th Gen 64GB/PHA3/XBAZ5.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #884 of 1,929
I'm using pha3 with xperia sp, but I also have ipod touch 3g - didn't test if there is a sound difference yet. So I'm curious myself.
As for "cables" (usb I assume), I didn't hear any difference with few I've used.

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #885 of 1,929
  I'm using pha3 with xperia sp, but I also have ipod touch 3g - didn't test if there is a sound difference yet. So I'm curious myself.
As for "cables" (usb I assume), I didn't hear any difference with few I've used.

Don't waste money on those USB cable, it's digital signal inside! Use money on upgrade headphone cable makes more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back