Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Jul 16, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #901 of 1,922
Good afternoon, I just bought a Sony MDR-Z7 and I'm thinking of buying the PHA-3.

It exists 2 versions, which is normal PHA-3 battery and the European version without PHA-3AC battery that needs to be permanently connected to power to function.

I have read several pages of this post and I doubt arise regarding the operation of PHA-3. I need to listen to music for several hours, more than 5 of autonomy that the PHA-3 and can not wait 10 hours to load without using it because I use it to listen to music while I work.

He had read that once worn battery PHA-3 had to wait for it to reload completely (about 10 hours to use it). It is true?

From what I've read, while PHA-3 works, if you connect it to the battery current is not loaded, is it? But what happens once the battery runs out and you have plugged in? Are you still working even if the discharged battery?

I do not quite understand how it works the subject. I do not care that the battery is not charged even if it is plugged in, but we need to use it whenever you want (with or without battery discharged).

Another issue, the difference of using a DAC as PHA-3 with a MDR-Z7 and balanced ergy is remarkable for what I read about not using it.

It should use balanced cable Kimber Kable from the standard to the same extent or no difference in sound?

I appreciate your comments.

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #902 of 1,922
Wonderful dac average amplifier...i own it..extremely pleased with it as it drives my fostex th 900 and audeze lcd-xc rather well....however i untend ti procure the chord hugo dac amp..its simply takes the sound stage to an entirely different level.
Regarding it charging capacity...it will hold charge and play so long as you have some change left in the unit..be advised though that it wont change and play simultaneously.
I highly recommend it..much better than its predecessor the PHA2....

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #903 of 1,922
Wonderful dac average amplifier...i own it..extremely pleased with it as it drives my fostex th 900 and audeze lcd-xc rather well....however i untend ti procure the chord hugo dac amp..its simply takes the sound stage to an entirely different level.
Regarding it charging capacity...it will hold charge and play so long as you have some change left in the unit..be advised though that it wont change and play simultaneously.
I highly recommend it..much better than its predecessor the PHA2....

Hello, I don't understand what you say about you can't charge the unit and play simultaneosluy. One reviewer of Amazon.uk says this:

"I have the Japanese version - simply stunning. Has the re-chargeable battery which others state not available on the UK version. Battery lasts about 5 hours connected digitally to the xperia/walkman/pc usb audio connection to the PHA-3 thus using it's superior DAC. Once the battery starts to lose charge the indicator flashes and you can still continue listening to music connected to mains while the unit recharges again. I use it with a Sony Xperia Z3 smart phone, and Sony Z7 headphones. The PHA-3 and the Z7 headphones are well matched especially using the supplied balanced audio cables that come with the Z7 headphones. I used to have the original Sony PHA-1 and the difference is night and day. Using the PHA-3 as a dedicated DAC to my hi-fi system connected via my PC and the line out from the pha-3 brings digital music to life. Listen to FLAC files and the Tidal streaming service and the PHA-3 does justice. It's all pricey but if you love music like me then go for it. Happy days with Sony again :)"

It seems that it's possible to listening to music while connected or charging.

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #904 of 1,922
I actually have the Japanese version myself....it holds charge when plugged into the mains (power outlet) but it doesn't charge and play simultaneously.
Performance wise absolutely stunning audio production no doubt..These are my observation as a regular user of the dony PHA3

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #905 of 1,922
I actually have the Japanese version myself....it holds charge when plugged into the mains (power outlet) but it doesn't charge and play simultaneously.
Performance wise absolutely stunning audio production no doubt..These are my observation as a regular user of the dony PHA3

Sorry sir but, for example if you're listening to music and the charge led begins flash in red becouse the battery is going to die and you connect the AC cord or USB 5V to power in., what happens?

1) It dies after a minutes, you have to power off the unit, charge it (without listeneing becouse is power off), hold 10 hours to recharge battery and begin again OR

2) It can continue playing music until you disconnect the power in cord (withouth charging the battery).

Thanks!!

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #907 of 1,922
Z7 and PHA3 matches very well together.  Even the stock Sony regular cable sounds fantastic.  The Kimber balanced cable does noticeably improve the overall sound.

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #908 of 1,922
  Z7 and PHA3 matches very well together.  Even the stock Sony regular cable sounds fantastic.  The Kimber balanced cable does noticeably improve the overall sound.

Hi I don't suppose you have a link for this cable please? I have done a google search but cannot find it.
confused.gif

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #909 of 1,922
http://store.sony.com/high-performance-balanced-audio-cable-for-mdr-z7-zid27-MUCB20BL1/cat-27-catid-All-Portable-Audio-Cables

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #910 of 1,922
  Hi I don't suppose you have a link for this cable please? I have done a google search but cannot find it.
confused.gif

here you go.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUCB20BL1-Performance-Balanced-Audio/dp/B00NW35HYQ/ref=as_sl_pd_wdgt_ex?&linkCode=wsw&tag=billyccom-20

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #911 of 1,922
@goyete
PHA-3 is designed to work as a portable DAC/AMP with battery
When you plug in power, it will work as a desktop =). It won't charge the battery but will play as long there is power outlet or portable USB battery connected to it (there is one restriction though, if battery is dried empty, it won't work. You'll have to charge the unit for a few minuts)

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #912 of 1,922
  @goyete
PHA-3 is designed to work as a portable DAC/AMP with battery
When you plug in power, it will work as a desktop =). It won't charge the battery but will play as long there is power outlet or portable USB battery (there is one restriction though, if battery is dried empty, it won't work. You'll have to charge the unit for a few minuts)

Thanks sir!! Finally I have understand it. Then I'll bought PHA-3 version trough eBay instead PHA-3AC european version with is not "portable". Thanks again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back