Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Jul 18, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #917 of 1,922
Can anyone who has the dock advise on weather it has an auto-switching power supply?

I'm looking to get one for use in Australia. The eBay sites are a bit ambiguous with some saying it is 110-240V compatible, others saying it is 110 only and a transformer will be required.

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #918 of 1,922
Can anyone who has the dock advise on weather it has an auto-switching power supply?

I'm looking to get one for use in Australia. The eBay sites are a bit ambiguous with some saying it is 110-240V compatible, others saying it is 110 only and a transformer will be required.

It's been alraedy answered in here :)

But just for you to be sure, here the answer in this video with an explaination of all the features that carries the dock

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #919 of 1,922
Thank you,

I appreciate that. Answers everything

Paul

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #920 of 1,922
Hi

Stupid question here, I have the zx2, what would the benefit be of using the pha-3?  I understand that the zx2 has a dual custom DAC already fitted.  So if you were to add the pha-3 would this override the DACs in the walkman?  I don't think I fully understand how the the pha-3 compliments the zx2 in terms of the DAC.

I'd imagine the portable amp element would make the walkman shine.

Cheers

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #921 of 1,922
From what I remember about zx2, You can use pha3 as:
- a amp only - by connecting line out from zx2 to pha3 - this way, zx2 gives SQ and pha3 adds "power"
- a amp/dac - by connecting digital/usb (specific cable) to pha3 - this way zx2 is "transport only", and You only hear SQ of pha3.

You can benefit using pha3 from:
- more "power" - if Your headphones are "hard to drive"
- balanced out witch gives pretty good results is SQ

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #923 of 1,922
Going through the thread, and kinda looks like everything has been said already :)
But still wanted to add my own experiences with PHA-3.

Bought it about a month ago, and am using it everyday for about 8 hours, sometimes more.
I have the PHA-3ac version since i live in Poland.
I pair it mainly with my AKG K701s with a balanced cable, sometimes with Shure se535 if i feel like isolating myself a bit from surrounding office :)

Impressions:
PHA-3 + AKG K701 - AMAZING, the headhpnes that i once though are shy in lows suddenly turned into overally great sounding headphones, can't really say anything bad about them anymore. 
Ofcourse they are still not basshead type of headphones, but the lows are fantastic now. Just how i love them to be, still very precise, fast, textured, but also deep and ritch.
I recommend this setup with 100% confidence.
Now if anyone tells me k701s are shy in bass, ill simply answer: you are not providing them with enough juice.

Now for the PHA-3 + shure se535 setup.
It sounds great, but then when i hook shures right in to say sansa clip+ it still sounds great.
On PHA-3 i could swear the lows are ritcher, but then i switch back to sansa again, and im not sure anymore :)
The difference here, if there is one, is very subtle.

Additional things that i noticed, and wanted to share.

When i listen to PHA-3 + K701s very quietly, below certain volume level on PHA, right headphone plays quiter then left one.
I found a solution for it. All you have to do if it happens to you, turn down the volume on whatever you are playing music from, and turn it up on PHA.
Sound becomes perfectly balanced, and i could swear it sounds better too, im guessing because then PHA is actually pushing more power to the headphones.

One time i managed to overheat my PHA.
It was lying on the pillow, and it was a really hot day.
My guess is, even though it doesn't have vents on the bottom, it still uses it's shell as a radiator.
After overheat the unit turned off, i gave it 5 minutes turned back on and it was working again.
Took it off the pillow too :)

So that's it, not sure if this brings anything new to discussion but there you have it.

I'm very happy to own it :)

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #924 of 1,922
balanced_connection.jpg

sony_mucb20bl1_muc_b20bl1_high_performance_balanced_audio_1080979.jpg

ath_r70x_1_sq.jpg

Have you guys tried Audio Technica R70x with Sony PHA 3 and its balanced cable?
I think R70x and Sony balanced cable are compatible.
Both uses dual stereo 3.5mm.
Can anyone try this and tell us how they sound?

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #925 of 1,922
  Good afternoon, I just bought a Sony MDR-Z7 and I'm thinking of buying the PHA-3.

It exists 2 versions, which is normal PHA-3 battery and the European version without PHA-3AC battery that needs to be permanently connected to power to function.

How come EU consumers are treated as 2nd-class citizens and get one without the battery :frowning2:

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #926 of 1,922
Well, it's not so black-white for me.
I'm in EU but I have battery version.

You can use it mobile but... size factor is pretty limiting, also battery gets You "only" 5-6h and its getting very hot while playing for an hour.
But thats not the worst part of battery powered pha3.
I don't believe its happening only with my device, but:
While long sessions, meaning around 8h and longer, device (sometimes) cannot charge itself "fast enough", blinks red led and then turns itself off (still with power/charging cable connected).
This aspect of using pha3 is frustrating, but thats my only "complain" and I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm not going to comment sony "policy" about ac/battery versions.
I can only say - enjoy great SQ unless You are really _need_ battery version. (If so, just sell AC and buy used one with battery).

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #927 of 1,922
I just purchased the PHA-3 last night after initially going through this thread.  It wasn't until this morning that I finally came upon the part where everybody has been having issues with the battery.  I was wondering, perhaps quite naively, why don't portables like the PHA-3 have a removable battery and a separate charging station like all their other cameras and camcorders?  They'd sell a heck of a lot of batteries and keep us audiophiles/music lovers very happy as well

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #928 of 1,922
I'm still putting together the PHA-3 rig and I know I've read it somewhere in here regarding the cables, but  I just can't remember where exactly.  And to be honest, there was a lot of confusion as to how to charge or not charge the battery while still using the PHA-3.  So far I know I need the LOD for my iPod classic (I'll also be using it with my iMac at times).  But then someone mentioned that you needed a 2.1 amp(?) 10 watt wall plug with USB connections.  Also, do you need a data USB or non data USB cable to connect it all?  Is there anybody that can clear that up for me?  Thanks!

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #929 of 1,922
OMG.  Finally.  I got it to work with my iMac and iTunes.  I guess I'm just not all that technically savvy.  Sounds pretty good with my K712 SE.  Can't imagine how much better it would be balanced or if it's even worth it.  Getting the Z7 sometime next week with the upgraded Kimber Kables since they have such great synergy together.  I can't wait

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #930 of 1,922
Seems this thread has been abandoned

Oh well, just in case somebody ventures back.....has anyone tried the K712 modified to be balanced with the PHA3?  Or would the slight benefit from the SQ not be worth all the trouble to convert the headphones to XLR.  Sorry if this should be in another thread. Everyone seems a tad quiet lately and I was just curious

Users who are viewing this thread

Back