Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Aug 21, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #947 of 1,922
PHA-3AC balanced with DSD (now I am performing only DSD play 2 hrs test:)

Thanks, maybe my unit is wrong. I'm reading full post and someone says that the unit warms a lot and when this occurs it doesn't charge, like me.

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #948 of 1,922
Thanks, maybe my unit is wrong. I'm reading full post and someone says that the unit warms a lot and when this occurs it doesn't charge, like me.

Well as i said, I literally never switch it off. I work on my pc and spend most of my day in front of PC.
Also I started the test with warm DAC, so... it has to stop early then 1.5 hr.. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #949 of 1,922
I am sorry, I did full test yesterday with DSD and ..nothing.
My suggestion is to take a look at your power unit. If you have access to spare one, try it.
I had same symptoms like you when I try to power mine DAC with usb from PC. My guess is that when power supply is not  high enough it starts to drain battery and eventually shuts down.

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #950 of 1,922
My suggestion is to take a look at your power unit. If you have access to spare one, try it.
I had same symptoms like you when I try to power mine DAC with usb from PC. My guess is that when power supply is not  high enough it starts to drain battery and eventually shuts down.

Sorry but I'm confused becouse of the language. You say that your unit doesn't switch off at all? True? My unit must be wrong, true? This morning, I left the unit switch on without playing music, simply turn on in the desktop (and connected tos AC) and hours before it swith off automatically becouse it warms and the green LED begins to flash.

I'm going to give back the unit and I'm thinking in buying international version.

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #951 of 1,922

And one more question, what's your serial number?? Mine 7400252.

Have you ever seen green LED flashing once the unit is switch on? (not the initial flashing).

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #952 of 1,922
  Sorry but I'm confused becouse of the language. You say that your unit doesn't switch off at all? True? My unit must be wrong, true? This morning, I left the unit switch on without playing music, simply turn on in the desktop (and connected tos AC) and hours before it swith off automatically becouse it warms and the green LED begins to flash.

I'm going to give back the unit and I'm thinking in buying international version.

In the beginning I tried to power my unit using not the original power supply , but only USB cable switched to my PC. Then I noticed exactly what you described - green light start flashing and unit goes off after a while. The power provided from USB of my PC obviously was not enough to sustain it. My guess is that perhaps your device is ok, but your power unit provide less then normal AC to device.

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #953 of 1,922
After testing the PHA-3AC since yesterday I've noticed that no step to hear music about 2 hours. I light it up and the green LED is lit, the time starts to flash (if I have connected the power connection to the plug through the adapter provided by Sony) and finally the unit just fading as if he had finished the battery but the version "AC ".

The unit is relatively hot, it's like going off for security, can it be? Would you have gone? Turn it off 2 minutes, switch it on and steady green again. I'm using a MDR-Z7 with balanced cable and DSD files via computer and Sony Hi Res Player.

Must be something wrong with your unit. PHA-3AC is a desktop unit so it's not supposed to stop like this after couple of hours of play

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #954 of 1,922
Must be something wrong with your unit. PHA-3AC is a desktop unit so it's not supposed to stop like this after couple of hours of play

It overheats, happened to my unit too, and its also AC.
Make sure to keep it on something that allows airflow around it.
Mine overheated when it was lying on a pillow for few hours.

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #955 of 1,922
Hi, need a favour/test from someone with the pha3 and either a zx1, zx2, f88X or the A17

Could you set the player to dsee hx on.

Then connect to the pha3 an check if the "hi-fs" light is on?

As in this would confirm if the player can output it's upsample-dsee hx digitally.

I know the karaoke modes output digitally but I can't check the sample rate output of DSEE hx as I've only got the 1aDAC headphones an haven't splashed out on a pha3 yet for my z7's

Thanks inadvance

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #956 of 1,922
Hey RandomHajile,
Just listened to a dsd song through my zx1. The PHA3 Hi-Fs light was on, and the zx1 was set to dsee hx. Hope that helps.
I'm new to the forum, just wanted to say how beautiful hi res music sounds through the PHA3 paired with shure 535. Just absolutely superb.

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #957 of 1,922
Hey RandomHajile,
Just listened to a dsd song through my zx1. The PHA3 Hi-Fs light was on, and the zx1 was set to dsee hx. Hope that helps.
I'm new to the forum, just wanted to say how beautiful hi res music sounds through the PHA3 paired with shure 535. Just absolutely superb.

Thanks, but I should of specified, could you play a 16bit 44/48khz song please.

As in ALAC, FLAC, MP3, AAC, WAV

But interesting that it can upsample dsd...

Aug 31, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #959 of 1,922
Not sure if anyone answered the last guy to ask, so I'll ask myself.  Has anyone tried to use this device using a regular usb OTG cable, rather than the proprietary OTG cable with the extra pin that sony supplies?

Aug 31, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #960 of 1,922
Not sure if anyone answered the last guy to ask, so I'll ask myself.  Has anyone tried to use this device using a regular usb OTG cable, rather than the proprietary OTG cable with the extra pin that sony supplies?

Yes, i tried to hook my sony ultra with otg usb cable, it didnt work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back