Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Jun 24, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #886 of 1,929
  I'm using pha3 with xperia sp, but I also have ipod touch 3g - didn't test if there is a sound difference yet. So I'm curious myself.
As for "cables" (usb I assume), I didn't hear any difference with few I've used.

Buy Nordost if you want the best results.

http://www.nordost.com/leif/purple-flare/purple-flare-usb2.0-cable.php

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #887 of 1,929
Hi guys, can I sue the PHA-3 in this way?

1. Connect one usb to DC In 5V to power the unit as desktop unit (not using battery power)
2. Connect other usb input as asynchronous usb dac function from PC
3. Connect balanced headphone

Basically I want to use it as a desktop dac/amp for my balanced headphone from my PC.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Jun 27, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #890 of 1,929
No problem at all. I use mine the same way.

I also use it this way when I'm home. On the go, I use it with xperia phone as a source.
PHA3 is not the smallest device, but its pretty flexible.

Thanks guys for the feedback, appreciate it.
happy_face1.gif

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #892 of 1,929
Hello guys :)

I have a question, if anyone would be so kind and help a newbie out, I got the Sony MDR-Z7 and a sound card called Asus Essence STX II, I would like to know if I would benefit from buying a PHA-3 and somehow connecting it to my sound card through a jack or something else to get the dolby features and so on from the sound card and improved detail and clarity from the PHA-3

I am using it for music, gaming and movies, would it be worth it considering the price? is it possible to get dolby headphone through PHA-3 from sound card, what can I expect from adding a PHA-3 sound wise.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #893 of 1,929
I have tried Hiby player with dsd files, but I only got "Hi-Fs" led on (pha3 front panel) and "DSD" led stays off - I'm guessing that means the stream get converted to pcm on the way.
(I'm using xperia z ultra / lollipop rom / hiby)

Is there any way to use "native" dsd play function on pha3 with android?

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #895 of 1,929
  At the Settings, there should be option for DoP.

I'm afraid - still the same (with DoP on and off).

Here my experience:
- if I connect pha3 before running hiby, it will ask me about usb device on start, then I got "super-low" volume when playing and no led is on ("DSD" and even "Hi-Fs")
- if I connect pha3 after running hiby, I get only "Hi-Fs" len on.

Can anyone confirm using hiby+lollipop with DSD led on?

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #897 of 1,929
Well, it does seems like a software problem.
I've tested another xperia with android 4.3 - still no "DSD" notification led on.
But it works fine when connected to PC/Windows (with "DSD" led on).

I would love to get native dsd, but I'm running out of ideas...

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #900 of 1,929
  Do you know when ZX2 with PHA 3 run dsd file, the PHA3 shows "HI-fs" or "DSD" ?

Thanks

ZX2 converts DSD to Hi-Rez PCM thus only "HI-fs" will be lighted up when connecting to the PHA3.  DSD is only available via USB input only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back