Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
May 19, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #857 of 1,929
Few pages back, there was a method of setting Foobar to work with PHA-3, which I can do, but when I try to use my other amp (CEntrance Mini DAC), it doesn't work and I have no idea what to do...i tried doing the reverse procedures but i keep getting Unrecoverable playback error: The parameter is incorrect.   (0x80070057)

May 19, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #858 of 1,929
My PHA3 arrived and the plastic outer cover is kinda worn.  There was this clear tape securing the Sony box, but not the fancy clear tape on my NW-ZX2.  Is there a way to look up date of manufacture?  serial is 7200608

May 19, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #859 of 1,929
  My PHA3 arrived and the plastic outer cover is kinda worn.  There was this clear tape securing the Sony box, but not the fancy clear tape on my NW-ZX2.  Is there a way to look up date of manufacture?  serial is 7200608

No you can't tell from the serial number. Mine is a Japanese model and starts 7003xxx and it is very recently purchased too. I don't think they are selling these in the many thousands. There was no tape seal on mine either....When you talk about plastic outer, you are talking about the outer cardboard? I assume the device itself looks pristine and all the cables are in their plastic sleeves still?

May 19, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #860 of 1,929

No you can't tell from the serial number. Mine is a Japanese model and starts 7003xxx and it is very recently purchased too. I don't think they are selling these in the many thousands. There was no tape seal on mine either....When you talk about plastic outer, you are talking about the outer cardboard? I assume the device itself looks pristine and all the cables are in their plastic sleeves still?

Yes, the PHA3 itself was pristine. I guess my mind was sway to think there was something wrong when the feel of the unit was not as impressive as the ZX2 or the Hugo.  Both of those were dense and substantial.  The PHA3 felt light and is it even metal?
It is still charging, Hope to try it after work.

May 19, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #861 of 1,929
  Few pages back, there was a method of setting Foobar to work with PHA-3, which I can do, but when I try to use my other amp (CEntrance Mini DAC), it doesn't work and I have no idea what to do...i tried doing the reverse procedures but i keep getting Unrecoverable playback error: The parameter is incorrect.   (0x80070057)

What output did you use at foobar2000?

May 20, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #862 of 1,929
I charged my new PHA3 overnight, I think it was fully charged.
I ran it straight for about 7 hours and it stopped on a dime.  Is this normal?
I am recharging it.

I played beautiful vocals, BTW on my Momentum 2 and Denon 7000.

May 20, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #863 of 1,929
I charged my new PHA3 overnight, I think it was fully charged.
I ran it straight for about 7 hours and it stopped on a dime.  Is this normal?
I am recharging it.

I played beautiful vocals, BTW on my Momentum 2 and Denon 7000.

I haven't timed mine but six to seven hours is about what I'm getting. I haven't played it until it just stopped; when the green light starts to flash I assume it needs charging. I'm still very pleased with mine.

May 20, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #864 of 1,929
I haven't timed mine but six to seven hours is about what I'm getting. I haven't played it until it just stopped; when the green light starts to flash I assume it needs charging. I'm still very pleased with mine.

Yes, i was listening after the 7th hour point and it just went silent.  There was no falloff.
I plugged in a wall adaptor and start playing again.  The green signal is flashing as I play songs.  Not sure if it charges while I am playing though.

Both male and female vocals are silky smooth.  Very presence. No harshness whatsoever.

May 21, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #865 of 1,929

Yes, the PHA3 itself was pristine. I guess my mind was sway to think there was something wrong when the feel of the unit was not as impressive as the ZX2 or the Hugo.  Both of those were dense and substantial.  The PHA3 felt light and is it even metal?
It is still charging, Hope to try it after work.

I have your tried the PHA3 in balanced mode?  If you own the PHA3, you really need to utilize its balanced output for the best sound.  PHA3 on the single-end is not that much better than the ZX2 beside the output power. In balance, it is substantially better.

May 21, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #866 of 1,929
  I have your tried the PHA3 in balanced mode?  If you own the PHA3, you really need to utilize its balanced output for the best sound.  PHA3 on the single-end is not that much better than the ZX2 beside the output power. In balance, it is substantially better.

you must be kidding as it is already better in normal mode over my ZX2.  I find the voices really smoother with perhaps some more "space".  I have received my Kimber 2m balanced cables but still waiting for my Z7 to arrive.

I have XLR terminated balanced cables for my LCD3 and HD800, so I cannot try it on the PHA3.  bummer!

May 21, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #868 of 1,929
What is this rub ber opaque piece that came with the PHA3 for?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back