Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
May 13, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #841 of 1,922

I wonder if less power, is it enough to actually have any effect? If your losing power from playback faster than your able to charge it seems like it isn't an effective solution. What are your feelings about this?

i should've been more detailed...I'm losing power while I'm using it is due to I'm using the PC's USB port to charge it (since that's the only thing that actually charges the PHA-3 on my end)

The Sony's wall charger is very expensive here in the states, it's probably also due to it's no longer in production.  Cheapest I was able to find was about 40 dollars (after tax and shipping)

May 13, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #842 of 1,922
  Thats just what I read...I'm not an actual electritian.  Something about data cable controls flow while charging doesn't.

also, i still need a solution.  I'm losing power as I run it right now and can't charge with all of my 50+ usb cables and about 6 different USB power plugs.

link me to a solution that works please.  I want PHA-3 to work even after battery dies, so means, need something that gives it power more than battery depleting.

Currently, due to an incident at home with the kids.... I've changed my layout (something to do with dropped PHA-3, and my SE846 got tangled on a wheel of a chair.. *almost  faint* I moved them to a safer location which is on my desk.

So I am now charging my PHA-3 using data cable from my PC USB port (which will be slower 500mAh, compare to the wall 2.1mAh). And since my monitor is USB capable as well, i connect my USB data for the audio thru monitor to PC. Separate data cable from monitor to PC.

So far this is working out ok with me, all are data cable. I do switch between the PHA-3, USB Chat headphone or PC speakers depends on the application. But so far no power outage yet.

May 13, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #843 of 1,922
I have a regular USB cable to a 2.1 amp converter and now I can run the PHA3 all the time. Before I was using a charge cable that came with my Samsung but I couldn't both charge and listen. Strange. Anyway Sony has stated you can't charge and listen but you can and it works great. 

May 13, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #844 of 1,922
The battery hasn't died on me yet, but it's obviously depleting more than charging because when I turn it off, the red light is on for a long time.  It's not currently an issue but will be once the battery starts degrading and/or I have one of those all-day music sessions.

May 13, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #845 of 1,922
  I have a regular USB cable to a 2.1 amp converter and now I can run the PHA3 all the time. Before I was using a charge cable that came with my Samsung but I couldn't both charge and listen. Strange. Anyway Sony has stated you can't charge and listen but you can and it works great. 

Interesting fact on Samsung power adaptor, i have the same problem as well, i can't charge it using one of my Samsung Power adaptor. It had to be a generic one.

May 13, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #846 of 1,922

Really? That is good news, but I wonder how this could slip past the engineers at Sony and the testers? I don't doubt you at all, obviously you know what is happening in front of you. I wonder if there is a technical reason why you shouldn't do this and that is why Sony was saying it can't be done. Perhaps that was meant as a deterrent by Sony? I'm just speculating wildly here.

May 14, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #847 of 1,922
I downloaded a copy of Michael Jackson's Bad from HD Tracks and it is a 24bit version so I was surprised that playing that didn't register through the PHA 3 as High Fs? Odd.

Odd, not really as that 25th anniversary is only 48khz/24bit.

Prob due to that album having a digital master way back then 48khz was Prob the highest sample rate.

If you play a 88/96khz file am sure your get the light on the f/s (frequency sample?)

May 14, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #849 of 1,922
  give me part numbers or links for a wall-outlet playback please...i bought 3 cables and 3 charges at bestbuy yesterday, same result, ain't charging at all

Tough luck bro. what are the voltage and amp for those adapters? are those cables data cable? 

I tried with Nvidia Shield AC Adapter, it worked as well. Need to pair it with a data cable.

http://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Adapter-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00FJT5354/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431626430&sr=8-1&keywords=nvidia+shield+ac+adapter

May 14, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #850 of 1,922
Odd, not really as that 25th anniversary is only 48khz/24bit.

Prob due to that album having a digital master way back then 48khz was Prob the highest sample rate.

If you play a 88/96khz file am sure your get the light on the f/s (frequency sample?)

Yah, makes sense, and the light did come on with other tracks. Thanks, sadly sold my PHA 3 since. Miss it.

May 14, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #851 of 1,922
Here is what I use for charging the PHA3 and it works. I bought 2 of them. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0D6GR8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One output is for Apple products and the other is N/A. You use the Apple USB output. Can't beat the price and performance. 

May 14, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #852 of 1,922
  Here is what I use for charging the PHA3 and it works. I bought 2 of them. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0D6GR8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One output is for Apple products and the other is N/A. You use the Apple USB output. Can't beat the price and performance. 

Charging and playing at the same time, or just charging?

May 14, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #853 of 1,922

Charging and playing at the same time, or just charging?

Charging and playing. I have had the chargers for some time now as they are the only ones I have that will charge the PHA3 for me. But using a cable that I use for data transfer and for charging, I can listen and charge. Before I used the cables from my Samsung charger as they are long and convenient and for charging but they won't trick it into charging and playing, strange. But I am happy as I can now play and charge. I left it on for 24 hours  playing just to prove this. Before I got around 5 to 6 hours depending upon the music. I listen to a lot of DSD so the run time was less but now, no worries! 

May 14, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #854 of 1,922
  For TRS adapter:

Tip = Signal
Sleeve = Ground

do the same on left & right channel.

Anyone know the other side for a MDR-1A? I wanna make a balanced cable and cannot find anywhere what the pinout is on the 3.5mm TRRS it uses.

May 14, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #855 of 1,922

Charging and playing. I have had the chargers for some time now as they are the only ones I have that will charge the PHA3 for me. But using a cable that I use for data transfer and for charging, I can listen and charge. Before I used the cables from my Samsung charger as they are long and convenient and for charging but they won't trick it into charging and playing, strange. But I am happy as I can now play and charge. I left it on for 24 hours  playing just to prove this. Before I got around 5 to 6 hours depending upon the music. I listen to a lot of DSD so the run time was less but now, no worries! 

Now that is sweet news indeed. I'll have to let the buyer who got my PHA 3 know about this. Super useful info. Thanks brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back